Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any credible conspiracy theories?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,781 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

King Mob wrote: »
    I think this is why flat earth has been making a bit of a come back of late.
    This tactic works really well for them because a lot of their points are actually more difficult to explain and debunk than most people expect.

There are some things they point to that to fully explain you need to have a good grasp of things like optics, geometry and physics.
    While for conspiracy theories like 9/11 or the Moon Hoax, it's a little easier to just fact check basic stuff and point out incorrect claims.

It's a common technique.

1. Pick a conspiracy
    2. Find something complex, strange or technical
    3. Bait others into explaining that
    4. "Don't get" the explanation
    5. It must be a conspiracy
    6. Repeat steps 2 to 6

(Bonus) 7. Never detail the conspiracy itself or even show any interest in it

I'd say that's pretty much used in 99% of classic conspiracy theory threads I've come across

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I tend to find that most conspiracy theories are based the fundamentally flawed premise that "we" as humans are far smarter than we actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    It's a common technique.

1. Pick a conspiracy
    2. Find something complex, strange or technical
    3. Bait others into explaining that
    4. Don't get the explanation
    Alternatively:
    4a: Get the explanation, but ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I tend to find that most conspiracy theories are based the fundamentally flawed premise that "we" as humans are far smarter than we actually are.

And that governments et al are so competent that they can 1. pull these thikngs off and 2. keep all these things secret.

The Nal wrote: »
    And that governments et al are so competent that they can 1. pull these thikngs off and 2. keep all these things secret.

Yet at the same time also be fantastically incompetent and leave blatant "clues" and easter eggs that only online detectives can seem to find. Let's advertise for "crisis actors" on craigslist.

• Advertisement

Yet at the same time also be fantastically incompetent and leave blatant "clues" and easter eggs that only online detectives can seem to find. Let's advertise for "crisis actors" on craigslist.

Or "Let's post all of our evil plans on twitter."

Or Larry Silverstein confessing to the entire 9/11 plot on national TV...

Or Larry Silverstein confessing to the entire 9/11 plot on national TV...

Or the BBC being told that WTC 7 was going to collapse at a specific time and going along with it, while the building was obviously still standing in the background.

"Hi is this the BBC?"

-"Yes.."

"You need to report that WTC 7 is going to collapse at 3:47 pm"

-"Uh, what? why?"

Click

-"Oh well, better report it, Bob you need to say the building has come down, yes yes I know it's still up, but we have to do this, for some reason"

That's how I rebut the missile in the Pentagon:

"So basically, you are saying that persons or many unknown persons managed to stage a plane crash by getting hold of mangled plane wreckage, haul it through Arlington County (pop. 200k) in broad daylight with no witnesses or CCTV footage and managed all this without any of the 23000 Pentagon workers noticing. Oh, and simultaneously unknown persons actioned the launch of a military grade missile into the building. Oh, and managed to make a Boeing 757 with 68 people on board just disappear. All of this has been hushed up since.

Cool story bro’.”

Funny that I never get a response to that.

That's how I rebut the missile in the Pentagon:

"So basically, you are saying that persons or many unknown persons managed to stage a plane crash by getting hold of mangled plane wreckage, haul it through Arlington County (pop. 200k) in broad daylight with no witnesses or CCTV footage and managed all this without any of the 23000 Pentagon workers noticing. Oh, and simultaneously unknown persons actioned the launch of a military grade missile into the building. Oh, and managed to make a Boeing 757 with 68 people on board just disappear. All of this has been hushed up since.

Cool story bro’.”

Funny that I never get a response to that.
    The most recent believers to argue this version of the conspiracy were contenting that the real Flight 77 flew over the Pentagon and away while something else (a missile or another plane, they never clarified) hit the building.

The most recent believers to argue this version of the conspiracy were contenting that the real Flight 77 flew over the Pentagon and away while something else (a missile or another plane, they never clarified) hit the building.

or the "There is no way an amateur pilot had the skill to hit such a specific target"

You had a determined pilot and clearly he had the ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Or more recently..."Let's put a reference to our top secret evil plans into a song." :D

or the "There is no way an amateur pilot had the skill to hit such a specific target"

And a Dutch conspiracy TV show actually tested this, they put a novice pilot with about the same experience as the hijacker on a proper Boeing simulator and he completed the maneuver and hit the Pentagon 3 times out of 3.

And how do we know he's a bad pilot?
    Well cause his flight school, which is also apparently a CIA/Mossad front, said he was a bad pilot.
    Why did they say this? Dunno.
    Why did they not find a better pilot or train him better? Dunno.

There's branches like this you can run down at every level in some conspiracy theories.

What baffles me is why theorists ignore this stuff when it's obvious and even when it's pointed out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

What baffles me is why theorists ignore this stuff when it's obvious and even when it's pointed out to them.

It doesn't baffle me at all. They're like creationists. They want/need to believe in it. Facts are irrelevant and sometimes downright inconvenient, so they're just ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Operation Gladio and Clockwork Orange.

Both real, there have been documentaries from reputable broadcasters about them including the BBC re Clockwork Orange.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Gladio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clockwork_Orange_(plot)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

The Nal wrote: »
    The finger got pulverised. Gold/Silver is tougher than skin and flesh. I don't really get the confusion?

The passport could've been on a seat and got blown out a window. Just like the thousands of other documents and artifacts they found in the rubble.

:pac:

The aluminium fuselage inside which the ring was got pulverised too, no?

So if a body can be pulverisied / vaporised how can a paper passport survive such pulverisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

storker wrote: »

Rare != impossible.

The circumstances of the 911 crash were pretty rare too, so other rare phenomena associated with the crash is hardly surprising.

But in admitting that documents can and do survive air crashes, you've just defeated your own argument, so we can drop that line of enquiry now. That just leaves the BBC fantasy, which has been pretty comprehensively dealt with.

Anything else in the shot locker?

You don't get to decide what discussion get halted. But you're perfectly free yourself to disengage.

When a plane blows up in mid-air it's OUTSIDE. It stands to reason that the bodies of the passengers and much of the luggage are going to be blown out of the hold and rain down to Earth.

When a plane crashes into the ground it's still OUTSIDE. The whole hting may burst into flames but I'm guessing that the fragmentation of the plane will cause certain things to be blown clear and not be consumed by fire.

The planes that hit the tower came apart INSIDE and most of the plane's structure and contents remained inside the buildings.

So if a body can be pulverisied / vaporised how can a paper passport survive such pulverisation?
    Because a body is heavy and big. A passport is small and light.
    The planes that hit the tower came apart INSIDE and most of the plane's structure and contents remained inside the buildings.
    Except for the contents that can be blown out the two giant holes during the planes explosion/fragmentation.

Again, this is evidentially what happened as we have a large amount of items that were recovered from the planes.

Again I'm not sure if this is another attempt at a very dishonest strawman or if this is because you genuinely believe this and you just don't understand what you're talking about.
    You seem to understand that things can be blown clear from the fires in other crashes, but have some silly belief that this couldn't have happened in the towers despite the gaping holes in the buildings.
    Why can't the items have been blown out of those holes?

Dunno. Not every single thing was fully destroyed apparently. Perhaps some of the many rings and so on had human parts attached, don't know the exact nature of how each was found. What we do know is at least 200 rings were found in the rubble, and certain items (like those rings) were traced to their owners. Identification cards and even a paper itinerary were found (a piece of printed paper)

Is your personal layman's opinion and is contradicted by the fact that the above didn't happen. How do you explain that this stuff survived?

• Advertisement

Like a hamster wheel, straight back to:

I can't believe it, so it didn't happen
    I can't understand it, so it didn't happen

Like a hamster wheel, straight back to:

I can't believe it, so it didn't happen
    I can't understand it, so it didn't happen
    What's really annoying is that if he'd just answered the questions directly it wouldn't have taken us 12+ pages to establish that the reason he believe that it's impossible for the items to have survived is that he believes they all had to have stayed in the building.

But because conspiracy theory beliefs require that no questions should be asked, we couldn't take a straight route there.

What's really annoying is that if he'd just answered the questions directly it wouldn't have taken us 12+ pages to establish that the reason he believe that it's impossible for the items to have survived is that he believes they all had to have stayed in the building.

But because conspiracy theory beliefs require that no questions should be asked, we couldn't take a straight route there.

Simply watching the plane crash into the building we can see a huge amount of material ejected

Simply watching the plane crash into the building we can see a huge amount of material ejected
    Yup. That's probably why he didn't want to admit that was the issue because he understands how easily disprovable it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Reading over the last few pages i can see some quality circle jerking ..... Keep it up lads

weisses wrote: »
    Reading over the last few pages i can see some quality circle jerking ..... Keep it up lads

As a 911 truther, do you have anything to add?

weisses wrote: »
    Come by for the biannual personal swipes again?

Nothing to add or any attempt to address any of the topic at hand?
    Any comment on the abject dishonesty we've seen in your fellow conspiracy theorists?

No? Just wanna moan about how mean we are for asking questions and pointing out that dishonesty?
    Ok.
    See you in a few months next time you get huffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Can everyone tone down the outrage levels a notch. No need to be getting personal.

Demonstrated again and again, when it comes to "popular conspiracy theories", whether it's the moon landing, 9/11, Sandy hook, etc, the pattern is consistent:
    • Lack of detailed conspiracy theory
    • No credible evidence for the theory
    • Contradicted by credible evidence
    • Contradicted by expert consensus and proper investigation
    • Conspiracy support reliant on pseudo-science, spurious information, isolated "experts", weak logic/reasoning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I can fully understand why someone would think that this was the alternative conspiracy (not the official conspiracy theory with hijackers with boxcutters). You have to remember that both are theories after all. None of us were involved first hand to say otherwise.

It was indeed a very strange and tragic day for a very long list of reasons, contradictions and coincidences. It's mind blowing stuff for those who are honest with themselves and have taken the time to really look at this.
    And because of the above, I wouldn't call someone crazy for having doubts or questions. It's perfectly natural.

For those asking for proof, names involved etc or making claims for either 'side' are being silly and disingenuous. As I said, none of us here on the internet/message boards have any real proof for either theory.
    Logically, everyone should look at the events before, during and afterwards and then see which theory stacks higher.
    Also don't forget the old adage - Qui Bono (Who Benefits) and still does to this day.

Occam's razor vs the sheer number of circumstantial occurrences.

Have a good weekend all!!!

Advertisement