Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road bike super-leggera cycle-touring

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Debrief of all our warblings of what you did or did not need in due course plea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

fat bloke wrote: »
    Yeah! Kept thinking that! Looking forward to my first bagless spin. Skipping up the yard like a fresh bullock! :D

TBH, while I see that a bag out the back of the saddle like that is more aerodynamic than one sitting crossways, it's a recipe for pendulum effects, with the rear end so far from the saddle.
    A bag sitting crossways, and cinched tight to not sway back and forth, has much less pendulum. Most people's thighs are as wide as such a bag is long anyway, so there is no (or next to no) aero loss.

Anyway, glad you had a good day of it. Those roads around Donard are pretty nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Just in Rathdrum now. Hasn't stopped spilling rain on us since we left. But it's not cold. 65k done. 50 to go. Laragh, glenmacnass, Sally gap and home via featherbeds. Good waterproof test of les baggage!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It's absolutely pissing it down now, ye poor things!

Wellity, wellity, wellity.

Operation "Proof-of-Concept" was go and was a success. We managed to get away, we managed to get loads of miles in, we managed to get back safely, and the kids didn't burn the house down while we were away :)

'Twas a tale of two spins. Just shy of 160k and 1900m climbing on the way down in warm, balmy sunshine. Much more direct 115k route back in absolute pizzins of rain right from the start with no let up whatsoever until we reached the front door of the gaff again. Though it would have been really fantastic to have been going on to a new point C today (and indeed a D and an E) instead of merely B back to A, we're still definitely hooked, the two of us, and we will definitely do a similar A-B-A night away another weekend before autumn turns winter.

If we were doing a longer multi-day spin I don't honestly think I would pack much more than I did - minimal civvies (one pair of denim shorts, one light sweatshirt, socks, jocks and a light pair of "sliders" (kind of pool shoes really). Basically the bare minimum to prevent ejection from, or denial of entry to, a moderately civilised evening dining-room environment.
    Cycling gear wise I'm a firm practitioner of the double-shorts method. For multi day spins I find the double-shammy is a literal as$-saver, plus you can switch 'em around on alternate days (sorry TMI perhaps). Also, - handwashing in a hotel bathroom sink with hot-as-you-can-stand water and shampoo / soap is a perfectly adequate way to launder and re-fresh cycling gear for a few days.
    Travelling down in the warmth I had basically one layer all over - leg warmers, two pairs of shorts, race jersey, arm warmers, gloves. That was it. I was probably a little bit too warm at times but I'm a bit of a cold fish and I prefer a layer of clothing to a layer of sun cream. I was very lucky and very glad also to have packed a long sleeve summer jersey, cos I'd have been fupped without it coming home today - once we got properly wet, the cold was only ever a few minutes of inactivity (stopping or descending) away.
    -ON the two shorts thing, because it's hard to ride out of the saddle with the bags on, I found myself spending the whole day in the saddle really, whereas on a normal spin I would routinely climb out of the saddle for prolonged periods. - So the extra cushioning was required and welcome.

As for the gear - the bags were grand, worked really well. About half way down yesterday I did some redistribution and had less in the saddle bag and more in the handlebar roll. That corrected some of the pendulous saddle-waggle, but it created its own difficulties with being able to change gear properly. The inward up-sweep of my ultegra gear change was impeded by the bag unless I had it packed just right. Also, the specific Topeak bag that I had, I'm not sure of the design for road bike use. It needs a third strap up the middle cos the two fastening straps on it are rather far apart and because of the width (narrow) restraints of road bike bars, you can't have a very long pack, so the the fastening straps are kind of at either end and the belly of your roll is squeezed out the middle between the two ends. -It's not ideal basically is what I'm trying to say, and you can't it much at all without it being awkward. Maybe you could make it thinner and wider by sacrificing access to the drop bars entirely, I'm not sure I'd have to see.

Saddle bag is grand too, but again like the front bag the less you put it in the better it is! :) - I'd definitely use the frame bag next time, centralised mass and you could put stuff in there that you might need access to on the bike during the day, cos you really don't want to be accessing your neatly packed rolls front or rear.

On the accomodation, I stand by my original points that luxurious accomodations are wasted on such a trip. Three star is more than enough. Four and five is pointless. We didn't use any of the facilities, we hoovered up our dinner, used the showers and hit the sack. Arrived late in teh evening, left early in the morning. We could have done that in any reasonable hotel or B&B. Also with covid restrictions there's no joy or advantage to masked and alcohol-gelled hotel communal areas. Also we had to bung our bikes into a "secure lock up" in a dingy, dimly lit corner of the hotel campus. I'd have much rathered a nice B&B or smaller hotel. But anyway, that's just me. You make your own accomodation choices according to your own tastes and budgets.

So that's the craic. Til the next one. Highly recommended. Would be a great thing to do yourself, or with a bigger gang. I appreciate that not everyone has a wife or husband who can see the fun in knocking out 300k in 24 hours, with half of it in Met Eireann wind and rain warning conditions. I'm extraordinarily lucky in that respect. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sounds great, I was planning something similar if a bit longer during a week off in April but had to abandon. Still hoping to do a two or maybe three day trip but tbh I'd bitch out with that weather forecast.

Would you have gotten away with the saddle bag and a frame bag? I'm thinking of not bothering with the handle bar bag, might go for a top tube bag too for food & phone etc though

Sounds great, I was planning something similar if a bit longer during a week off in April but had to abandon. Still hoping to do a two or maybe three day trip but tbh I'd bitch out with that weather forecast.

Would you have gotten away with the saddle bag and a frame bag? I'm thinking of not bothering with the handle bar bag, might go for a top tube bag too for food & phone etc though

Absolutely you would yeah. On the way down I had my jersey pockets empty as well but for the return I moved spare tubes and stuff back to my jersey as I would for a normal spin and that kept the weight in the bags down further. Centralised mass for the win to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

fat bloke wrote: »
    Centralised mass for the win to be sure.

I’ve been working on centralising my mass for years :pac:

Sounds like a great trip, makes me wish mrs. comete would try a bit of cycling!

What's the double shorts method? I googledy but no joy.

Don't know about your saddle bag but mine cheap enough and if you tighten the straps very little wobble, although I'd be going slowly enough

Sounds a success in any event. We should do a log of suggested tours with recommended lunch stops / accommodation.

a148pro wrote: »
    What's the double shorts method? I googledy but no joy.

Here's how it works :

Put on a pair of shorts. Then put on another pair of shorts.

-Double shorts!! :D:D Quick and easy way to double up on the padding. I wouldn't bother on a normal run but I do it on trips away involving consecutive day-long spins.

• Advertisement

As in two pairs of bib shorts? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Took my own advice and lined up a bit of roadie super-leggera touring for Thursday and Friday. Early train to Cork, and evening B&B in Dunmore East booked. Looking like it'll be fairly decent weather for at least 300k of it anyway - dry with a tailwind of varying strength!

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34050046

Oh train down and cycling back? That's a great idea.

Absolutely - opens it up completely. It'll be an early start to pedal into Heuston for the 7am train but you're rolling in Cork then for 9.45.

Plastik wrote: »
    Absolutely - opens it up completely. It'll be an early start to pedal into Heuston for the 7am train but you're rolling in Cork then for 9.45.

Bag o' cans for the train. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what bike are you using?

My trusty CAAD10. But if the forecast stays good I'll throw on some lighter wheels and may ditch the mudguards.

5eIcJDeh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Looks like a fantastic route and you'd have a chance of getting a good tailwind for most of the way too

In the spirit of the thread, all packed and ready to go, we've gone super-leggera.

Oz4Cn0vl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Plastik wrote: »
    Took my own advice and lined up a bit of roadie super-leggera touring for Thursday and Friday. Early train to Cork, and evening B&B in Dunmore East booked. Looking like it'll be fairly decent weather for at least 300k of it anyway - dry with a tailwind of varying strength!

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34050046

Great route to Wexford town, bike path, two ferries and lots of very quite coastal roads. Ballyvooney beach just east of Stradbally is one missed by most lads who think they are on coast road. You picked up that lovely road from Annestown to Tramore also. Don't forget the compulsory Metal Man photo :)

That road out of Wexford wouldn't be for me but I'm a cranky bo11ix, but it does fit with the theme of your route i guess.

Enjoy the trip and have a beer this time!

You'll probably have about 4600m climbing, rwgps underestimates elevation ime

• Advertisement

Nice one dude. Enjoy!

Fantastic route. Grey kind of day on the south coast yesterday, but mega pizza and a great chat with Luigi in Youghal for lunch yesterday followed by dinner in Azzuro in Dunmore East. Lovely lunch in Kilmore Quay today in glorious sunshine.

210km yesterday with 2,173m at 28.7avg, but 236km for the day after the 5.30am departure to catch the 7am train to Cork.
    227km today with 2,261m at 30.6avg heading east for a few hours before turning north up the east coast.

Two good days on the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Gosh - those are solid speeds, esp for a loaded bike. You deserve all the food. Good choice of direction, given the wind that was in it. Kudos.

Sounds savage man. Couldn't make that kinda progress unfettered with baggage!!

Speeds and distances are insane. The only thing I could try and match is the eating! Great to see such good eating going on! I thought audax type heads all ate sandwiches on the go out of their jersey pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

a148pro wrote: »
    Speeds and distances are insane. The only thing I could try and match is the eating! Great to see such good eating going on! I thought audax type heads all ate sandwiches on the go out of their jersey pockets.

Audax heads are far more likely to sit down to a full Irish breakfast, then a three course lunch and whatever else along the way. We believe in treating ourselves well. It's a long time to be on a bike so you might as well be nice to yourself.

I've always associated you with suffering and austerity

Advertisement