Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning clothes brought home for fitting

Options
  • 01-08-2020 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭

Local small clothes shop in shopping centre - fitting room 'sanitised', try on garment, unwanted garment (apparently) taken away to be steamed pre putting back on rails; fitting room sanitised before next customer uses it

Dunnes Stores - fitting rooms closed; bring garment home; return unwanted garment; it goes straight back on rails apparently - I asked a manager and she said that was the HSE guidelines.

How can it be 'steaming' for one sector and no action for the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Maybe the small clothes shop are doing the steaming off their own bat, just to reassure customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Maybe, but before the lockdown was relaxed, all the RTE News programmes were full of interviews with boutique owners explaining how everything would have to be sanitised etc. in order to operate according to regulations.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dunnes Stores/Penneys - fitting rooms closed; bring garment home; return unwanted garment; it goes straight back on rails apparently - I asked a manager and she said that was the HSE guidelines.
    Think I would prefer to see the actual guidelines rather than relying on what some random person on the internet relays from some random shop employee

It may simply be some misunderstanding

Local small clothes shop in shopping centre - fitting room 'sanitised', try on garment, unwanted garment (apparently) taken away to be steamed pre putting back on rails; fitting room sanitised before next customer uses it

Dunnes Stores/Penneys - fitting rooms closed; bring garment home; return unwanted garment; it goes straight back on rails apparently - I asked a manager and she said that was the HSE guidelines.

Returned clothes have to be held separately for, I think 3 days before being put back on rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

The Virus doesn't live very long on clothes (it quickly dehydrates it).
    I assume that clothes tried on in store are 'steamed' for aesthetic purposes as they are put straight back on the rails.
    Clothes brought home, tried on and returned have already long passed the potential living time of the virus before they are back on the rails.

• Advertisement

Returned clothes have to be held separately for, I think 3 days before being put back on rails.

That's what I had understood as well but not so according to Dunnes.

That's what I had understood as well but not so according to Dunnes.

According to one person. I’ve personally seen a returned garment tagged and placed on a rail to be replaced on sale three days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe, but before the lockdown was relaxed, all the RTE News programmes were full of interviews with boutique owners explaining how everything would have to be sanitised etc. in order to operate according to regulations.

Have you tried searching for the relevant regulations?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you tried searching for the relevant regulations?
    I'm not sure there are any on something like this. I did try and search when I saw the claim in the OP, but could not find anything relevant

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm not sure there are any on something like this. I did try and search when I saw the claim in the OP, but could not find anything relevant

I did try searching but couldn't find anything.

• Advertisement

According to one person. I’ve personally seen a returned garment tagged and placed on a rail to be replaced on sale three days later.

According to three people (in one branch admittedly) - (i) till operator, (ii) person dealing with returns (iii) manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

I work at one of those stores above and I can say that we take returned products and they are held for 48 hours before going back onto the sales floor. :)

Actually, apologies to Penneys - I lumped them in without checking on their practice myself - it was a manager in the Dunnes Stores I visited who named them and said that Dunnes/Penneys didn't have to withdraw clothes.

Very glad to hear that - so the Dunnes I visited appears to be the aberrant one, so.

Advertisement