Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Club refusing to allow redemption of gift voucher

• 29-07-2020 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently won a gift voucher as part of a local charity event. The prize was a four ball at a nearby course - not my local. The prize was awarded in February this year.

I booked four of us for this weekend as visitors, only to recieve a call yesterday stating that the club are not currently accepting gift vouchers and that it will be a normal visitors green fee.

When I asked for an explanation, the reason given was that since Covid-19 the club is only taking revenue generating bookings for visitors but that the voucher expiry will not be affected and can be used again. I was then advised that the voucher could be redeemed from 1st October onwards.

Anyone have a similar experience to this with your own club or nearby? Can the club legally enforce this or does the Consumer Protection (Gift Vouchers) Act 2019 prevent it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seems bizarre that they are happy to have visitors but only if you pay.
    You should tell them that they already received their revenue when the voucher was purchsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭antseanoifig

GreeBo wrote: »
    Seems bizarre that they are happy to have visitors but only if you pay.
    You should tell them that they already received their revenue when the voucher was purchsed.

Agree on that, very strange decision. I was also given the line that "even members who have vouchers for friends or family cannot redeem them".

As you've said the revenue has been made already. Seems a bit rich to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Chances are they gave the green fees for free hence no revenue but that still doesnt make it a clever decision by the club not to honour it.

It makes sense that you cant use vouchers in lieu of competition fees but surely they should accept it to cover green fees. I'd make a bit of fuss on twitter / facebook about it and let other people see whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Most clubs have no idea what customer service means so it's no surprise when you don't get it.

You would think that clubs would figure out that the better you look after your customers, both members and guests, the more custom you get but it's getting more obvious that they will never figure out this simple thing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Sounds like they have given a free voucher to a raffle. Now they need the green fee revenue and are not currently in a position to redeem the voucher.
    It's now like you bought the voucher and now they won't let u use it.

• Advertisement

Most clubs have no idea what customer service means so it's no surprise when you don't get it.

You would think that clubs would figure out that the better you look after your customers, both members and guests, the more custom you get but it's getting more obvious that they will never figure out this simple thing out.

That's probably what I find most frustrating. The reality in our situation is that two of us are on the look out to join a new club as the location suits better for both of us along our commute. This type of experience doesn't exactly encourage you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I think there was new legislation last year covering gift vouchers. Find it a and Quote them that. It should soften their cough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Seems ridiculous tbh. Even if there was no revenue generated from the voucher, four golfers will more than likely have a snack or a meal, a drink, buy some items in the pro shop and of course praise the course to friends and fellow golfers.

Some places clearly can't see past the end of their noses.

I'd call them out in an email, quoting above legislation re gift vouchers, what I've said in this post, and the fact that two of you are actively looking for a new club.
    Then I'd say thanks, but no thanks. If you really wanted to stick it to them you could throw in the fact that a bad review is seen/heard by ten times as many people as a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

name and shame, and send them a link to this thread...

(edit... maybe a bit harsh. i am not excited about how they handled this but i am sure they are just trying to do best for club finances)

tropics001 wrote: »
    name and shame, and send them a link to this thread...

(edit... maybe a bit harsh. i am not excited about how they handled this but i am sure they are just trying to do best for club finances)

Ah I don't plan on going "public" behind a keyboard, I'll deal directly with them but reference this thread alright. Just wanted to get a feel from others here if this was commonplace at the moment, which seems not to be the case!

It's a club in the midwest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

That seems an awfully mean decision. They gave them has part of a charity funding campaign. No doubt people spent money on the likes of raffle tickets etc. No real charity been shown by that club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Shocking form tbh... I had the opposite experience lately out in Charlsland GC. I had a voucher that was 2 years out of date and rang up to see was there anything they could do for me. Left my details and one of their staff got back to me, saying no problem. Booked a midweek timeslot and enjoyed a great day out and will tell my golf friends about the good deed and any eyes that look at this post.

Very short sighted from the club in question by OP. That's the kind of thing you really remember and tell lots of people about... OP, will you PM me the club in question, curious to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

And I bet the timesheet won’t even be full!

But on the off chance, ask them can you use it one day that they aren’t so busy

Advertisement