Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG TV Freesat and saorview

Options
  • 28-07-2020 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a new LG tv. Am I presuming correctly that there is 2 coaxial type connections, one for saorview and one for freesat? What are the pros and cons of not using a separate sat receiver? I know there is a lot of good information on here about various stb's which I will definitely look into in the next couple of weeks.
    As you can tell I'm new to all this and it's step 1 of me getting rid of sky.
    TV is the LG 50un81006lb. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Thats not a Freesat TV, Its a smart TV with a satellite tuner. On the satellite EPG you will only get now/next, not 7-days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

I have a 32 inch lg - it has two single inputs one for aerial and one for satellite

TBH honest i don't use the satellite receiver element as i have a humax recordable freesat box connected to the TV.

for set up if you set the country to IRL you get saorview in the order of 1 = rte 1 2 =rte 2 etc. However the freesat epg doesn't work and the sat channels are not in order.

if you set the country to Uk the Freesat epg will work that is BBc 1 at 1 etc and you have a 7 day guide plus showcase but the saorview tuner will put the irish channels not in order up in the 800s.

At the moment the TV is the mobile home for the summer and i have the space for the humax box but come the autumn it will be going up on a wall and i will be using both tuners not sure yet whiich country i will default to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

homer911 wrote: »
    Thats not a Freesat TV, Its a smart TV with a satellite tuner. On the satellite EPG you will only get now/next, not 7-days

Thanks for the reply. What's the difference between freesat and a satellite tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

nophd08 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. What's the difference between freesat and a satellite tuner.

Freesat will give a full 7 day epg like sky. Basic sat tuner will only give what's showing now and what programme is on next.
    I have an LG with basic sat input and it's useless, especially if your used to the sky epg.
    Best option is to take a look at the other threads here about stb's, there's some excellent advice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

A few of the online stores say 50un81006lb has Freesat which gives the 7 day satellite EPG.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-50UN81006LB-Smart-Freeview-Freesat/dp/B0853M2S3L
    AFAIK Saorview channels can be renumbered.

The other main issue about a combo TV is switching between satellite and Saorview...LGs have a feature called Quick Access which let's you assign a satellite channel to a long press on a user selected remote key eg set BBC 1 to long press 2 and that selects satellite and then short press 1 to go back to Saorview via setting Saorview channels at 1 to 9.

It won't be as good as sky from a recording point of view...a separate box is the best solution for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have a 55" UHD/4K LG Smart TV that I bought last year and their implementation of Freesat is awful - now/next as said but even in the EPG there's a well-known bug where the mini-TV doesn't display and you can't navigate channels. Happens across multiple models and LG are aware but in no rush to fix.

It's annoyed me so much in the end that I'm going back to a dedicated box.

TV tuner - Freeview HD
    - Freesat HD

Electronic programme guide 8-day EPG

given that i have the basic 32 inch LG tv with a freesat tuner - im sure this comes with a freesat tuner. Above is taken from Currys Uk website description of the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 10,340 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Newer LGs come with proper freesat AFAIK. Recording, pause/play and so on won't be there (or might if you add a USB, but won't be as good). It'll only have 1 input too so even if you can record you wouldn't be able to watch a different channel. But no harm in seeing what it's like first sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Once you set the country to UK in the setup, you get Freesat and Saorview providing you have a Satellite dish and aerial connected to the TV. Saorview channels will appear in the 800's but as already mentioned you can re-order them to 1, 2, 3 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭decor58

kooga wrote: »
    I have a 32 inch lg - it has two single inputs one for aerial and one for satellite

TBH honest i don't use the satellite receiver element as i have a humax recordable freesat box connected to the TV.

for set up if you set the country to IRL you get saorview in the order of 1 = rte 1 2 =rte 2 etc. However the freesat epg doesn't work and the sat channels are not in order.

if you set the country to Uk the Freesat epg will work that is BBc 1 at 1 etc and you have a 7 day guide plus showcase but the saorview tuner will put the irish channels not in order up in the 800s.

At the moment the TV is the mobile home for the summer and i have the space for the humax box but come the autumn it will be going up on a wall and i will be using both tuners not sure yet whiich country i will default to though.

What is the model number of your TV, I bought one recently, second hand, for a holiday home, 32 lf561v, but it doesn't have a Freesat option. I set it up while it was connected to the net, LAN, its not wfi, updated software but no Freesat. Channel sorting is painful, I can't see how to delete duplicates, just BLANK? them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,340 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

decor58 wrote: »
    What is the model number of your TV, I bought one recently, second hand, for a holiday home, 32 lf561v, but it doesn't have a Freesat option. I set it up while it was connected to the net, LAN, its not wfi, updated software but no Freesat. Channel sorting is painful, I can't see how to delete duplicates, just BLANK? them.

Off top of my head, I think LG TVs started coming with Freesat from ~2015. Our previous LG was a 2014 model and didn't ever get Freesat. There is an app you can use to tidy channels: https://github.com/PredatH0r/ChanSort, your model would appear to be supported for it. See the wiki for more: https://github.com/PredatH0r/ChanSort/wiki.

It's a little bit of a faff, but works in the end. I have used this, shout if you run into trouble.

32lk61 bought in curry’s last summer for €249

Picture

Sorry picture here

You don't need the Internet to access Freesat. The LF561V model is from 2015. As already mentioned, UK has to be set as the Country and then Auto Tune Satellite channels. If the TV has a Satellite input, but doesn't ask for a Post Code then Freesat isn't built in

Thanks, I only connected the set to the net for the software update, it's not wifi. I had set it up without Internet connection, no sign of Freesat, so thinking was to do factory reset and doing update before set up, again no freesat. Not being able to delete duplicates is more annoying, channel list of 400+, only 80 - 90 of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Sorry to take this slightly of topic but I didn't want to start a new a thread. I seen this walker tv and it seams to everything I want except theres no Disney and its price seams very good. So can any one tell me whats wrong with as it seams its to good to be true.

https://powercity.ie/product/219498

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

roadmaster wrote: »
    Sorry to take this slightly of topic but I didn't want to start a new a thread. I seen this walker tv and it seams to everything I want except theres no Disney and its price seams very good. So can any one tell me whats wrong with as it seams its to good to be true.

Advertised as "end of line". No idea what the implications of that are.

roadmaster wrote: »

All I can say is that I have a 24 inch Walker smart in the kitchen and it does all the ad says it will, Saorview and Satellite ón one list wifi, RTÉ player, Netflix YouTube nó VM player. Usb stick to record, works everytime, that might be an issue if the TV is a main TV, you can't record one channel and watch another. Picture quality might be better on more expensive sets but you will get your money's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Once you set the country to UK in the setup, you get Freesat and Saorview providing you have a Satellite dish and aerial connected to the TV. Saorview channels will appear in the 800's but as already mentioned you can re-order them to 1, 2, 3 etc.

Hi guys,
    About to buy lg oled and interested in getting rid of my ariva 153 combo box as hate it.
    If I have understood this thread correctly
    1. Set country to uk
    2. Connect aerial for saorview and satellie to tv
    3. Install freesat app on tv (giving 8 day epg)
    4. Reorder channels 1.rte, 2 bbc1, 3 itv 4 rte2 etc

That sounds perfect but probably missing something
    Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I have a LG from 2018. Not sure there's Freesat app to install on the TV (at least not on mine). Fairly sure they still use the core WebOS software on the newer models but the apps presented in their store differ between models for some reason. I'm told the 2020 TVs are missing some catch up TV services.

On Freesat you'd be asked to set the postcode so you get your 'regional' BBC etc. Depends if you want BBC NI as Ch 101.

On mine the RTE app can only be installed if you set the LG services region to Ireland. Once installed I can swap to the UK services region to get the other UK apps. The RTE app can't be updated when set to the UK (but it is so rarely updated it makes no odds). Every 6 months or so f I rem, I swap back to the Irish services region and check. Think it was last updated Oct 2019. Not sure that work around exists on the later models.

Reordering DTT is a pain but straight forward enough. You will have to hide all the extra Saorview channels it finds. They are just generic placeholders with no name but take a channel number.

I have quick press key 1 set to BBC1 and quick press key 9 for RTE - the quickest way to switch between SAT/DTT.

ciaran75 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    About to buy lg oled and interested in getting rid of my ariva 153 combo box as hate it.
    1. Set country to uk

Thanks,

I read recently of a dispute between LG and freesat regarding 2020 models, apparently freesat is not available on current models. The issue will probably be sorted in time but it might be wise to check, others might have other information.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Hi guys,
    1. Set country to uk

Thanks,

Set region to the UK to get all the best apps, switch the interactive region to Ireland to download the RTE player, then switch it back to the UK Region and you'll have the RTE player with the UK apps

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

I read recently of a dispute between LG and freesat regarding 2020 models, apparently freesat is not available on current models. The issue will probably be sorted in time but it might be wise to check, others might have other information.

Freesat is available on 2020 models, it's the catchup apps like ITV player, Channel 5 etc. But BBC iPlayer is supported.

loughrey wrote: »
    Freesat is available on 2020 models, it's the catchup apps like ITV player, Channel 5 etc. But BBC iPlayer is supported.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Hi guys,
    1. Set country to uk

Thanks,

You only need to re-order the Irish channels as they appear in the 800's
    You can't re-order the Freesat channels, and they start at 101 for BBC One
    Saorview and Freesat are on different EPG's so to flick between them you need to set up Quick Access https://www.lg.com/in/support/product-help/CT20150005-20150384421089 and select number 1 for Saorview and number 2 for Freesat for example

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭darragh_k

* Edit - I don't think I know what FreeSat is! Or if we can get it in Ireland on an LG TV

I've tried to get UK apps working on my LG tv.
    These are the settings I have now.

Broadcast Country = Ireland

LG Services country = UK.

The TV restarted and the UK TV catch-up apps automatically installed.. ITV Hub, All4 etc..

None of them work.

Can they be tricked to work using postcodes?

Is it ok to leave Broadcast country as Ireland?

I was able to tune UK Satellite channels without changing region to UK and I get Irish FTA channels through an indoor Antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Change broadcast country to UK.

darragh_k wrote: »
    Thanks I'll do that and scan again.

I did that now.

I see the FreeSat logo beside my channels now and in the TV Guide. But what's the advantage of FreeSat over just having the UK channels (BBC1, ITV, etc) tuned in without FreeSat. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

I can't use any catch up TV in Ireland can I?

The All4 app works but the ITV and the BBC iPlayer don't work.

I'd love to be able to watch programmes from previous days. I might need a separate Set Top Box for that?

Thanks for advice on this thread everyone.

• Advertisement

darragh_k wrote: »
    I did that now.

I see the FreeSat logo beside my channels now and in the TV Guide. But what's the advantage of FreeSat over just having the UK channels (BBC1, ITV, etc) tuned in without FreeSat. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

I can't use any catch up TV in Ireland can I?

The All4 app works but the ITV and the BBC iPlayer don't work.

I'd love to be able to watch programmes from previous days. I might need a separate Set Top Box for that?

Thanks for advice on this thread everyone.

I found this "Freeview Play" Catch up service when I looked at the TV Guide for Antenna channels.
    It wasn't there for the list of satellite channels

I can't view any of these programmes from here either though. Would be class if it worked.

Advertisement