Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Galway route recommendations

Options
  • 27-07-2020 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

For some strange reason I've decided to ride from Dublin City center to galway and get the train back. I'll be heading down with a friend who's a more experienced rider, longest I've managed is a 120km

Has any one got any advice for routes. Was thinking joining the royal canal at leixlip and stopping in mullingar for a quick coffee and then taking the old train line to athlone, stopping for some thing to eat and then heading down for the final leg. Its around 215km the route I'm looking at and we are leaving at 6.00 Saturday morning. Have a train booked for 5.20pm that evening so allowing about 10hrs to get down there with the stops, gives us enough time to find somewhere to stock up on food and drink for the train journey back.

Is there a better route that we could take sticking to roads or is the canal greenway a safer route. Looking at the weather there will be a headwind for the journey so would like to sheltered if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭positron

There are a number of threads here on this route in the past - the most common advice is to get the train to Galway and ride to Dublin - wind usually blows this way.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=111222649
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=101102086

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I’ve only gone to Ballinasloe but have done Athlone Dublin plenty of times. Stick to the old n4/n6 and you’ll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Old N4/N6 is fine, however if you prefer to get away from traffic the canal greenway and old rail trail will certainly do that for you! Canal greenway is largely quarry dust surface, which is fine for a road bike but will slow you down a bit which isn't ideal on such a long spin. The old rail trail from Mullingar to Athlone is a perfect tarmac surface almost all of the way.

As also said above though and in the threads linked by positron, the prevailing wind is from the west so unless you get lucky with your plan you'll find it much easier to cycle Galway to Dublin rather than the other way around.

FWIW I'm thinking of doing this in September too if I can get my fitness up enough. There's no way I'm planning on riding east to west though and if I'm going solo I'll stick to the main roads to keep my mind more engaged...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

5CHULZY wrote: »
    .. Its around 215km the route I'm looking at and we are leaving at 6.00 Saturday morning. Have a train booked for 5.20pm that evening so allowing about 10hrs to get down there with the stops..
    I think you're cutting it a bit fine considering the amount of off road and most likely into a headwind and factoring in stops and possibly a mechanical/puncture. (Unless you're a very strong rider of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Did it there and back in 2016, it worked out as 426 km and done it in 20.05 hrs all in and 17.05 hrs moving

The head wind from Athenry into Galway was awful and I was lucky to get talking to a guy who was commuting into work who let me sit on his wheel

http://aqBUAku.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5CHULZY

I think you're cutting it a bit fine considering the amount of off road and most likely into a headwind and factoring in stops and possibly a mechanical/puncture. (Unless you're a very strong rider of course!)

Yeah I think I might change to the later train coming back, give us an extra 2 hours. Keeping an eye on weather and make the call on Friday night if the winds to strong

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Saw this from a charity event on Sunday just passed that might give some route ideas

https://www.strava.com/activities/3816664010

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    Saw this from a charity event on Sunday just passed that might give some route ideas

https://www.strava.com/activities/3816664010

Jebus no hanging about there :eek:

OP I have similar planned and will definitely be going west-east. I was going to do the Laurels charity spin but as it's cancelled I figured may aswell take the spin anyway the permission has been signed off. :D

Well well well. That was horrible 😟
    Didn't make it to galway but 155km to ballinasloe. Horrible head wind the whole way. Legs wanted to give up around 90km, was on target for average speed at 25kmph, but kept pushing just to make it a little bit further. Slowed the pace down as we knew we had plenty of time. Nearly gave up in athlone but a little stop to rest the legs and headed into ballinasloe for some food and much needed drinksto. Past loads of groups heading west to east, think they had a better idea than us, my pal turned around just to see what the wind was like behind us and was hitting 32kmph with no effort.

Any way happy with what I achieved, would of happily headed down for the last 60km but wouldn't of made the train in time and didn't want to want for the later train. Will do it again but with a tailwind behind us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Well well well. That was horrible 😟
    Didn't make it to galway but 155km to ballinasloe. Horrible head wind the whole way. Legs wanted to give up around 90km, was on target for average speed at 25kmph, but kept pushing just to make it a little bit further. Slowed the pace down as we knew we had plenty of time. Nearly gave up in athlone but a little stop to rest the legs and headed into ballinasloe for some food and much needed drinksto. Past loads of groups heading west to east, think they had a better idea than us, my pal turned around just to see what the wind was like behind us and was hitting 32kmph with no effort.

Any way happy with what I achieved, would of happily headed down for the last 60km but wouldn't of made the train in time and didn't want to want for the later train. Will do it again but with a tailwind behind us

Well you were strongly warned :pac:

Well done though, 155km into a headwind is some going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

fair play you did a good effort and the expierence will stand to you big time .

Well you were strongly warned :pac:

Well done though, 155km into a headwind is some going.

I can be a bit stubborn, wanted to test myself and it definitely was a test. My pal said about turning around at the 100km mark and headin back with the wind, told him no, I want to make it as far as I could to Galway, technically I did make it across to county Galway 😁😁 wish I listened now as I think I’d been happier hitting the 200km

One thing I noticed was all drivers gave us room and only had 1 close pass in Lucan. Are the drivers outside of Dublin more respectful for cyclist. Enjoyed passing a local doing some gardening and getting greeted with a wave and smile

fair play you did a good effort and the expierence will stand to you big time .

Found out today not only do I hate hills, the wind is my new enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I just love going out on the bike but do find the wind the biggest and most common factor in making life difficult on the road .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Found out today not only do I hate hills, the wind is my new enemy.
    Hills are hills - you can see them; a headwind is a sly invisible fcuker that pisses you off and slaps you every now and then with an unexpected gust.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Hills are hills - you can see them; a headwind is a sly invisible fcuker that pisses you off and slaps you every now and then with an unexpected gust.

Gust were that bad we wasn't even picking up the speed rolling down the hills, if you can call them that. Couldn't get any momentum built up and ease off a little bit either. Felt like I was constantly on the gas. But you can't have it easy all the time can you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

For some strange reason I've decided to ride from Dublin City center to galway and get the train back. I'll be heading down with a friend who's a more experienced rider, longest I've managed is a 120km

Has any one got any advice for routes. Was thinking joining the royal canal at leixlip and stopping in mullingar for a quick coffee and then taking the old train line to athlone, stopping for some thing to eat and then heading down for the final leg. Its around 215km the route I'm looking at and we are leaving at 6.00 Saturday morning. Have a train booked for 5.20pm that evening so allowing about 10hrs to get down there with the stops, gives us enough time to find somewhere to stock up on food and drink for the train journey back.

Is there a better route that we could take sticking to roads or is the canal greenway a safer route. Looking at the weather there will be a headwind for the journey so would like to sheltered if possible.

much more pleasant to do galway to dublin

at least the driving rain will be at your back, 90% of the time

just take the old n6

that's the safest route, big massive road, with great hard shoulder, hardly any cars, very flat

wind not typically in your face

thats the way to do

edit

ooops too late, i see you went the wrong way, good old headwind

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Perfectly doable

I have done Dublin City to Athlone several times. And done Athlone to Moyvalley via the cycleway to Mullingar and then the canal to Moyvalley . Going West, I’d be very familiar with Athlone to Augrim On the R446 and the back roads (R446 is the old N6)

To Athlone I just stayed on the main roads. I know that might be for everyone but ,once outside Dublin, it is PERFECTLY SAFE. The surface is good and there is plenty of hard shoulder so no worries from cars and lorries

I’d go up to Phoenix Park, down either Strawberry beds or the other road parallel to it (castleknock) to reach Lucan area (don’t like the speed bumps) And use the back roads to get through Maynooth and Kilcock (Moyglare roads)

From Kilcock to Enfield take the main road which has a fine hard shoulder all the way. Take a break at Enfield . Then bomb down the main road to Kinnegad and onwards (From Kilbeggan ride onto the Miltown pass road onto Rochford bridge and tyrellspass)

Again, roads are safe and there’s a few towns to Stop off. Some of it is a little “hilly” especially with a bag on the back . From Kilbeggan to Horseleap it’s kinda down hill so a nice bit of speed for less energy . Moate , there’s a little “hill”

I tend to get fed up of the road and a bit tired by Moate so I cheat and take the cycleway next to it, (cycleway entry can be Also got at Horseleap and the R446 between Moate and Athlone) . The road Moate to Athlone which Is perfectly safe but I would prefer not to be on that road by the time I get to the AIT .

Obviously, by Enfield /Moyvalley You could take the canal route to Mullingar and then onto Athlone via the cycleway . The canal route is fine for a road bike with 25 tyres, you can get up to average of 30 km/h if the route is clear , in places . Surface is sound (prefer the road so I can keep a decent speed as I want to get home early lol ) . Nanny Quinn is a good spot to stop for food

The cycleway is PERFECT . Not very busy once you get out of Mullingar and away from Moate . Go whatever pace You can muster. The banks offer some shelter from the wind and rain . Just make sure you have food n drink supplies, there’s no shops etc without a 5km rode onto the roads , least till Moate ) . If you are in a rush, you can do good speeds safely (obviously when there’s no people on the track ) . At say 26-27km/hour , you’d get into Athlone within an hour and a half easily ,non stop. It’s a pleasant ride ,if a little boring ,but it’s safe .

Castletown station (About 12km from Mullingar ) has some benches where you can sit and take a break . Normally, there’s a water tap there, but last I checked , it’s not on. Pay attention to your water supplies as there’s nothing on this cycleway till Moate

Once getting into Athlone from either the R446 at the AIT or the cycleway at White Gates on Ballymahon Road , be careful. Entry into town centre To cross the bridge is NOT bike friendly and the current One way traffic system is a joke . Those roads are busy most days . (There are plans to sort that out for bikes but it’s not here yet ) More relevant, the roads are narrow .

If you are coming from the cycleway way, you could cut across to Beechpark west (small lane directly across the road from the cycle way entry, to the fire station. Then you can turn left and ride up to North gate street and over the bridge . (Avoid going through Church street )

Personally, I use the Duel carriageway to cross the Shannon most days (perfectly safe if getting on at Coosan, just 2km ride over )

As for Athlone to Galway onwards , you have some options .

I am content with staying on the R446 to Ballinasloe , the hard shoulder makes it safe , there is one or two “hills” /rise which might be Annoying after so long on the bike. Alternatively , The back roads are good eg Clonown and Moore area . Several roads can lead you to Ballinasloe and onto the R446 . Might add to the km though. The R446 is so good, might be better off staying on it if time is short

Obviously, there are other options to get from Dublin to Galway via say Kildare, Tullamore ,Shannonbridge

One poster made some good points. The wind ! Always seems to be fecking coming from the West. The cycleway as I said does offer some shelter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I cant wait until they open the Athlone Galway section of the greenway. I'd be doing that regularly.

I've cycled Dublin Athlone and Athlione Dublin many times. Heading west can be sole destroying and had to give up a few times before athlone! But thats part of the challenge of cycling. Your mind often gives up before you legs

godtabh wrote: »
    I cant wait until they open the Athlone Galway section of the greenway. I'd be doing that regularly.

I've cycled Dublin Athlone and Athlione Dublin many times. Heading west can be sole destroying and had to give up a few times before athlone! But thats part of the challenge of cycling. Your mind often gives up before you legs

Sadly, I wouldn’t hold my breath. Even the part between the Ballymahon Road to Montree has not opened yet. (More due to Covid)

There’s nothing wrong with Taking stops, especially if you are on your own and have a heavy bag on the back .It’s not a race. Yes, agree that it isn’t always pleasant . But it’s safe

Mill town pass can be a hoor if the wind is against ya, but you can always get onto the cycleway instead (10km from Kilbeggan and about 7ish from Kinnegad) that “hill” between rochfordbridge and Tyrelsspass is a night mare with a head wind

Thankfully there are good roads from Athlone to Aughrim, be it the R446/N6 and the back roads like Clonown N Moore (can see directly across to Clonmacnoise and Shannon bridge )

I guess ya kinda have to be lucky what days you decide to take that route With regard to the wind strength . . Wind always tends to come from the west, rarely from the east (got a tail wind only once. It was awesome flying down to athlone )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Crippens1

Sorry, I only saw this thread now but if you do it again ...

I'd recommend doing the Athlone-Galway section via Ballyforan-Caltra-Caherlistrane-Monivea. It's about 6-7km shorter and less exposed to the wind than going via Ballinasloe-Loughrea. The 40km from Loughrea to Galway is a purgatory on any day!

The old N4 route from Dublin to Athlone is great now that there's so little traffic on it (even the centre of Kinnegad is worth seeing).

As others noted, the reverse is much, much easier and more enjoyable. I've done Galway-Dublin many times (including the Coast-to-Coast race back in the day) and I can't think of anything that would get me to go Dublin-Galway.

Happy cycling.

Crippens1 wrote: »
    Sorry, I only saw this thread now but if you do it again ...

I'd recommend doing the Athlone-Galway section via Ballyforan-Caltra-Caherlistrane-Monivea. It's about 6-7km shorter and less exposed to the wind than going via Ballinasloe-Loughrea. The 40km from Loughrea to Galway is a purgatory on any day!

The old N4 route from Dublin to Athlone is great now that there's so little traffic on it (even the centre of Kinnegad is worth seeing).

As others noted, the reverse is much, much easier and more enjoyable. I've done Galway-Dublin many times (including the Coast-to-Coast race back in the day) and I can't think of anything that would get me to go Dublin-Galway.

Happy cycling.

Would agree with the Ballyforan route, the hedges and bits of Forrest do offer shelter

Advertisement