Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway in a day from Dublin

Options
  • 11-09-2016 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm gonna be cycling with a couple of friends from Dundrum to Galway in a day next weekend and looking for any tips or advice to consider. :D

We're well seasoned cyclists but the most we've done in a day has been about 160km but it's a challenge we're looking forward to. The total distance will be about 230km and we will be leaving early for once! Normally we have good intentions to leave at the crack of dawn and end up departing around lunch time... :p

If anyone had any pointers on nice routes we should try to hit up that would be great or if anyone knows any nice stops (pubs) on the way I'd love to hear about them.

Or if anyone has any tips for a cycle of this length or anything to think about which we've probably forgotten that would be great! :)

Cheers,

Rojo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Rojo wrote: »
    ...Or if anyone has any tips for a cycle of this length or anything to think about which we've probably forgotten that would be great! :)...
    You'll more than likely have a headwind most of the way. It's usually easier the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

You'll more than likely have a headwind most of the way. It's usually easier the other way around.

I've always liked a challenge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Remember that you'll be cycling straight into low sun at the end when the sun is sinking over Galway.
    There's a point in the midlands - others will tell you exactly where, I've only heard about it - when loads of big trucks and cars dodge off the motorway for a few kilometres and back on again to avoid the toll, and that can be hairy.
    What route are you planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

if you fancy adding only 4-5km to your journey, you could hop onto the old rail trail / greenway near mullingar and do about 45km off the main road on a perfectly tarmacced trail (apart from about 2km of well compacted chippings near athlone). as well as that you've a few km on side roads and canal trails before you reach mullingar so probably more like 55km away from main roads.

if you are going the old N4 from kinnegad to athlone, the stretch between kinnegad and rochfortbridge lacks hard shoulder for about 10-15km.

on chuchote's point re toll dodgers, the stretch between aughrim and kilreekil, galway side of ballinasloe, would be the biggest concern as that has a few km with no hard shoulder also.

and wishbone - i had headwind both heading west and coming back on the same weekend last year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...and wishbone - i had headwind both heading west and coming back on the same weekend last year :(
    Neighbour of mine managed to average 35+ over 218k on the return leg in January. Must have had a hell of a tail wind!

https://www.strava.com/activities/482869411

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

SO... We did it!! Wasn't so sure I'd actually make it at all!

There was a headwind pretty much most of the way as mentioned by Wishbone Ash... We took turns in the front and tucking in behind the leader. We left around 06:30 and arrived into Galway at 18:45 (this included breaks etc. on the way). Our average pace was about 22-25km/h which we were pretty chuffed with, having done no big cycles this summer or anything above 160km before.

For the route we stuck pretty much on the N4 and I've got to say it's the first time I've been cycling in Ireland that drivers have been so courteous when overtaking - we had no hairy moments, which I found a shock in itself.

I'll check out the greenway the next time - I think we were afraid to make any diversions in case we got lost on the way (a very likely possibility) :-)

I ran out of steam towards the end and my bottom wasn't very happy at all. :-|

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

great effort and well done on persevering into a headwind that you couldn't turn away from!

Advertisement