Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Not even one mention of the queen on last Friday's pod - how funny but also refreshing! (I'm fairly sure there was no mention, open to correction though).

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭al87987

I'm fairly sure it was pre-recorded which they seem to do with a lot of friday's stuff.

They also didn't mention that all the football was called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

They mentioned that they were recording around 10AM so they didn't yet know if the matches would go ahead or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Found US Murph to be very performative and boring today.

There was a point where he was banging on about the existential angst induced by the '49ers being 0-1 and I just thought, honestly, who gives a fck?

Used to love US Murph back in the day, thought he had a gift for making the seemingly uninteresting interesting. But he's a fairly dull contributor these days IMO.

Maybe it's just me and I know there's been a dearth of sports over the weekend, but I felt the lads have seemed a bit jaded and flat: going through the motions a bit as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

US Murph seems like a persona to me where he's trying too hard to be entertaining , it's just a bit too OTT

Although I really enjoyed him a few weeks ago talking about that US commentator who died as he wasn't as full on but he's one of my lower ranked contributors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Let's face it, American sports are all just incredibly dull, there's a reason they're all getting ****-faced in the stands 🤣

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Raoul

I think part of the problem is that more people are interested in and exposed to American sports now. So we want actual analysis not being talked down to. I can't remember exactly what he was saying but something like " you guys know there is a punter, a kicker,...he had something else here..well there is also this guy called a long snapper". Most people know the basics of the sport, maybe not the long snapper part but it was a bit like you idiots at least know this much. Most of the first part was about him supporting San Francisco. We get it, you support the 49ers. Maybe give us some analysis though! Murph doesn't help here though. Going on about "oh Brian you are telling yourself that it shouldn't matter but it does, chuckle chuckle".

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Jim Crawford isn't a very inspirational speaker anyway is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Most people don't to be fair. Honestly it's a very small percentage of people care about American sports let alone actually know the ins and outs of positions/tactics.

In his defence, how someone interviews can be fairly different to them on the pitch/dressing room etc. He comes across like a decent fella though and obviously doing a good job for the U21s, huge improvement on Noel King,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think the guys talk about sports they're interested in. So, they have a small interest in American football so we get some of that. Zero interest in horse racing, cricket, motor racing etc so pretty much none of them.

I have a very small interest in us sports, I watch 3 or 4 nfl games a year so it suits me

Took one look at that episode and went "Naaaah."

Who'd want to listen to that except as a cure for insomnia?

Life ain't always empty.

I think Murph has an interest in cricket but he's not allowed talk about it 😁

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Masch8933

Murph is a huge cricket fan but the listeners I am sure are not, so best to avoid

They used to do a lot more boxing than they do now, Mark is big boxing fan

I hope they dont go the way of the likes of OTB and give air time to something like Womens Rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

They should give Mark more time to discuss boxing imo. He is excellent and not nearly involved enough.

Think they got a lot of listener pushback with the whole Kinehan thing.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Hopefully they will have Andy Lee on after the Parker fight this weekend. Always a good listen and the lads have a relationship with Lee and Parker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Raoul

Only right too. It's their own fault. You can't be extremely righteous only when it suits you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Bit of a rare production mess up in the 27th min of today's pod. Ken fluffed his lines and Murph coughing. They might be missing killian already!

Not sure what ken was on about london not being in Europe. Plenty of European countries not in the eu and still part of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Only the second time I can remember a production blip like that, and the first was earlier this year.

• Advertisement

They're really milking this Boehly nonsense which is never going to happen and nobody cares about. Nah not going to listen to that either...

Life ain't always empty.

Yeah, Ken was talking shite there. UEFA isn't limited to EU countries only, not sure what point he was trying to make

I don't hate the idea of an all star game, it'd be more interesting than the Charity Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What's wrong with women's rugby? I find whenever they cover any sort of minority sport (women's game, tennis, etc) it's a better podcast than the run of the mill soccer/gaa pods.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

All of those things are 1,000 times more interesting than anything about Man City. Or men's rugby chat.

I'd like to hear more about athletics & even cycling.

Womens rugby is awful, Ireland stink and it gets way too much coverage that it should on all media considering the amount of people who play and go to games.

Other sports deserve much more coverage across media than what Womens Rugby gets

exactly, athletics and cycling for one are much deserving of coverage, with geniune Irish world talents involved, yet Womens rugby as a whole gets more coverage.

The fella they had doing the European Championships was very good and it got lot of coverage but Do listeners really care about national athletics or The Diamond League?

Outside of the major Championships and Olympics, I wouldn't think there would be much interest in athletics

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭al87987

Its funny, I know they're a sports pod but I almost always feel like the best content they produce is the seemingly unplanned, off the cuff bits. I loved them trying to get their heads around Kens friend watching 3 movies at once this week for example which is absolute madness but something that I must try.

• Advertisement

Low bar, low bar

"Less boring than the Simod Cup" 🤣

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement