Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Go Safe Vans on motorway

• 27-07-2020 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

If your driving on the motorway in Ireland and a go safe van is on the opposite side can it detect you speeding or does the wall or medium in the middle block out your registration plate Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭easyvision

NathanHB wrote: »
    If your driving on the motorway in Ireland and a go safe van is on the opposite side can it detect you speeding or does the wall or medium in the middle block out your registration plate Thanks.

Only the side it’s on as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Have started to come across these on the motorways lately.
    They are extremely dangerous imo. Heavy traffic and people driving along circa 100kmh and see them and jam on the brakes. They are going to cause a massive pile up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You have to be practically beside them and in direct line of sight to be snapped (even if you're on the same side of the road).

On a motorway, with a barrier between ye and probably other cars, you'll be fine. GoSafe on a motorway is a rarity though. More often you see AGS cars camped up on motorway slip roads waiting for speeders to pass under them that they will chase down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

Saw one on the M50 the weekend before last. Wasn't speeding so didn't have anything to worry about but I'd say they caught a few. Traffic was light enough

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

where abouts on the m50? Id say that was easy pickings in the 100km zone of it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Muahahaha wrote: »

They're missing a trick if they don't sit around the corner of the M50 - > M1 northbound.

They're missing a trick if they don't sit around the corner of the M50 - > M1 northbound.

Am I right to say that it goes down to 80kph about 500m before that corner?

That spot before the M1 turnoff is actually a dangerous bit of the M50, you often see people who are in the wrong lane, panic at the last moment and do a swerve right across traffic. I've come across accidents twice in that spot over the years which were likely to do with people in the wrong lane and then doing something stupid without checking their mirrors.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They are extremely dangerous imo. Heavy traffic and people driving along circa 100kmh and see them and jam on the brakes. They are going to cause a massive pile up.
    The parked van is dangerous but the numptie that brakes suddenly on a motorway isn't dangerous?
    That spot before the M1 turnoff is actually a dangerous bit of the M50, you often see people who are in the wrong lane, panic at the last moment and do a swerve right across traffic. I've come across accidents twice in that spot over the years which were likely to do with people in the wrong lane and then doing something stupid without checking their mirrors.
    ...so surely making sure people aren't speeding in that area is a good thing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Am I right to say that it goes down to 80kph about 500m before that corner?

I think it's a bit further out. But that's where I'm talking about yeah.

But the behaviour you're talking about, happens at a lot of the other exits. I see it all the time onto the N4 and the N3. it's rare that I pass by there that I don't. But I wouldn't put poor driving on the existence of the exit. It's people showing they don't know what they are doing. I don't ever have anyone sitting alongside me because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

Sorry for the delay in getting back. It was between the toll and the bridge itself southbound

• Advertisement

I think it's a bit further out. But that's where I'm talking about yeah.

But the behaviour you're talking about, happens at a lot of the other exits. I see it all the time onto the N4 and the N3. it's rare that I pass by there that I don't. But I wouldn't put poor driving on the existence of the exit. It's people showing they don't know what they are doing. I don't ever have anyone sitting alongside me because of it.

yeah it happens at all exits but I think the M50 to M1 interchange going northbound can be particularly dodgy. You've cars barrelling down there at 100kph+ (I limit it goes down to 80kph but is widely ignored). Theres four options on the direction you are going and people find themselves in the wrong lane when speeding and then do something stupid at the last second to correct their mistake.

I've seen cars career across the hatch markings there and a couple of accidents in the past. I'm generally on a motorbike so always take the inside lane when going M50 to M1 northbound well in advance even if it is slower moving. If Im on a motorbike and get clipped by some idiot doing a last second lurch into my lane then Im in big trouble about what happens next which is likely to be me lying on the road and getting run over by more than one car. Its something bikers always have to be wary of on a motorway, they are generally the safest roads out there but if you are knocked off your motorbike on a motorway then its curtains.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

howiya wrote: »
    Saw one on the M50 the weekend before last. Wasn't speeding so didn't have anything to worry about but I'd say they caught a few. Traffic was light enough
    Have seen this on the M1 a few times and it's usually during the day but once it was during evening rush hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Aston martin

yes it can get both sides of a road , they can catch cars coming towards and going away, two AGD radars both pointing out the back door at 22 degrees so short range.. they can make mistakes

Advertisement