Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which brand milk

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

back in the day, around the mid to late 90s when I was starting out working I was used to Premier milk we got it delivered.

I started working in an office and all they had was Avonmore. It was there and then that I started drinking black tea (wasn't into coffee at the time) and I can still (in my brain probably) taste a difference between the two.

I pretty much don't drink any milk these days apart from a glass of blue premier if I have dinner in my ma's.

Premier was notorious for being light on fat content. You'd definitely have noticed a difference between the Premier and the Avonmore. When we stayed with cousins as kids we couldn't get over how much less milk we drank because it was far thinner and less flavoursome from a carton, but we were reared on milk straight from the tank, that then lived in a bucket in the fridge after it had been pasteurized, and you'd have to stir the cream back into it. 4 people in the house drinking milk and we'd go through a gallon bucket every 2 days. Yum. Nothing like a pint of ice-cold fresh milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

On milk, saw today that Coolree the Lidl own brand, has organic milk supplied by Aurivo for 99c/litre. What is interesting is the packaging is all biodegradable, no synthetic plastic. Tetra pack made from sugar cane and wool fibres.
    Worth lads and lassies trying it on the tea and coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bleaks

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any updated observations on this 3 years later. I have gotten centra milk (also musgraves/supervalu) in 3ltr bottles a couple of times in the last couple of months and it has been sour even though well in date. It's annoying as it's the only local shop within walking distance. There is definitely a significantly improved taste difference with the organic cartoned milks, and cartoned milk in general... though every coffee shop/barista you go to uses plastic bottled milk (probably for ease/speed).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

personally i wouldn't buy a 3ltr bottle - i'd buy 3 x 1l bottles or cartons preferably. We have an Aldi and a Supervalu in our nearest town and i definitely notice a difference between the Aldi and Supervalu own brands, preferring the SV - the SV organic is the best of them I think

i did read or hear a few years ago that SV organic is supplied by Glenisk, whether that's true or has changed i don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The 4 number code in the little oval box, belongs to the manufacturer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement