Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strength & Conditioning / Pilates Exercise Videos for Runners?

Options
  • 20-07-2020 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Apologies if this has been asked before, but it appears its been quite some time since any similar questions have been asked.

I run 4 times a week, typically 7km per run. Have been running consistently for approx. 12 years, and touch wood I haven't experienced any notable injuries, pain etc, and I am 40 yrs old. However one thing I have noticed in recent months is that I'm finding it more difficult to do basic tasks like putting on socks, tying shoe laces etc, where there is a general stiffness in my lower back. While I am a reasonably fast runner (my average pace is approx. 4:30 per km for my 7km runs), that does not experience pain etc when running, I have never been the most flexible person e.g. I have never been able to properly touch my toes. I work in an office, so spend quite a number of hours per day sitting at a desk, which I'm sure doesn't help.

I had always always intended to investigate strength & conditioning, or pilates to improve my running time. However I suspect, I need to do exercises such as these for my general flexibility too.

I am not a member of a gym, and do not currently have any free weight equipment at home. However I would not have an issue in buying a kettle bell etc.

I was thinking about looking up online videos etc, but I don't know where to start to be honest.

Can people make any recommendations on online videos, or am I better off getting some face to face advice / instructions?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

James Dunne on Youtube..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Plenty of no equipment examples on Youtube. I look at S&C as good maintenance and injury prevention more so than linking it to improved times.

If you're doing that pace all the time, you could also slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Plenty of no equipment examples on Youtube. I look at S&C as good maintenance and injury prevention more so than linking it to improved times.

If you're doing that pace all the time, you could also slow down.

She is certainly saying all the right buzz words, "ingage your core" "squeeze your glutes" "compression on landing "and all that stuff.
    Unfortunately the exercises she is doing is not going to mitigate compression.
    Or help to promote better running posture..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ceepo wrote: »
    She is certainly saying all the right buzz words, "ingage your core" "squeeze your glutes" "compression on landing "and all that stuff.
    Unfortunately the exercises she is doing is not going to mitigate compression.
    Or help to promote better running posture..

You could post that in the YT comments. Despite the popularity of the channel, the videos don't get a lot of comments, ime.

Are there others you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

You could post that in the YT comments. Despite the popularity of the channel, the videos don't get a lot of comments, ime.

Are there others you'd recommend?

Start with these...

youtube.com/watch?v=q3l3_92PIWA

youtube.com/watch?v=OOSM54UmTcc

youtube.com/watch?v=_Hd2yxkXku8 you can use a resistance band.

youtube.com/user/kathyalvarez1

All of these will give you glute activation, as well thoracic rotation, internal/external oblique, TVA and a whole host of other muscles that will in fact transfer into your gait mechanics...

• Advertisement
Advertisement