Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre pressure

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Current warblings - riding gravel at 40, definitely plusher and no punctures yet. Rode road bike at 90 first time today. No puncture either.

Not entirely convinced it's not slower but I certainly can't say it's appreciably slower. Sometimes I feel sluggish on the hills but that might just be my form. Think I'd have to go and do an actual like by like test to determine that, which is never going to happen.

Now, while you're here, how do I stop the screw off valve on the presta breaking, no punctures but I lost another tube to this today. What am I doing wrong? Should I unscrew all the way before inflating or something, I only take it a bit out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

a148pro wrote: »

Now, while you're here, how do I stop the screw off valve on the presta breaking, no punctures but I lost another tube to this today. What am I doing wrong? Should I unscrew all the way before inflating or something, I only take it a bit out?

What tubes or valves are they? Only happeed to me once and not sure why (and I thought it was because I took it out too far).

What type of pump?
    One of my pumps is one with only one hole that fits all types, that's usually a bit more precarious then the standard one hole for presets only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

G1032 wrote: »
    I ride 25mm at 80psi and 28mm at 70 ish psi

I'm 73 - 74 kg

Never really get punctures. ��. Famous last words!!
    me too, though i'm probably a little over my target weight of about 72/73KG.
    have had nine punctures in nine years, at least two of which were pinch flats when i let tyre pressure drop too low and hit potholes/stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a148pro wrote: »
    Am I alone in always riding tires at max pressure?

I find they're much faster and I almost never get punctures, which is massive for me as I hate the hassle of a flat

i would have thought max pressure would lead to more punctures:confused:

kenmm wrote: »
    What tubes or valves are they? Only happeed to me once and not sure why (and I thought it was because I took it out too far).

What type of pump?
    One of my pumps is one with only one hole that fits all types, that's usually a bit more precarious then the standard one hole for presets only.

Not sure what brand of tubes if that's what you mean, but wouldn't have thought they were cheapo ones as gotten in respectable LBS, also it has happened to me on two different tubes as one had a longer valve. Both what I understand to be Presta valves, the ones you have to screw to inflate and can deflate by pushing once unscrewed.

One the valve that unscrews broke off while I was getting ready to inflate. Shortly after all the air went out of the tube. The other, the bit broke off as I placed the pump on, all air immediately went out.

Using track pump, and in fairness, probably a cheap one as its annoying to use, but I don't think its the problem as one of them broke without me even being able to fit the pump (unless it was previous pumping that damaged it).

I have to say I absolutely hate presta valves, find them very finecky and hard to fit a pump onto, can't really understand why they are that way.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    i would have thought max pressure would lead to more punctures:confused:

*I think* anyway - this is my interpretation:

Max pressure, less contact with road and "harder".

Lower pressure, larger surface area to collect debris and more "squishy" so little shards can work their way in between tyre casing and tube.

This was a bit of an issue with road bikes (having tyre and tube) hence why tubeless systems are becoming more popular - they allow running at lower pressure, the sealant stops small punctures, no tube to work against etc)

Also pinch flats, which happen when (I think) the pressure in the tube is low enough that it gets caught between the rim and the tyre and a solid object and bursts. Only really happens when tube under inflated

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Mr. Lemon was out for a cycle and he was ~500 metres from our house.
    He noticed his back tyre was a bit soft so he pulled into a petrol station where he's spent a fortune on petrol over the years.

There's a pump there which he's always used for his car over the years and it's always been free (and still is).
    He recently started using it for his bike and noticed a sign today "this pump is not for cyclists".

Is there a reason for this?
    Bicycle tyres go up to a higher pressure than cars' tyres so pressure can't be a reason, it just seems like pettiness.

TK Lemon wrote: »
    He noticed his back tyre was a bit soft so he pulled into a petrol station where he's spent a fortune on petrol over the years.

There's a pump there which he's always used for his car over the years and it's always been free (and still is).
    He recently started using it for his bike and noticed a sign today "this pump is not for cyclists".

Bicycle tyres go up to a higher pressure than cars' tyres so pressure can't be a reason, it just seems like pettiness.
    Maybe some have abused it or some weird legal liability angle? I'd go in and ask tbh if it's your local.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭G1032

qq- how to you measure that - I mean do you measure that accurately? Any track pump I've had, I could guestimate 3 psi, but only as in 'needle is a nudge left or right of whatever number shown'. Either I need to spend more on pumps or you use something else?

LOL
    I got a tire pressure gauge. The one linked below.

https://tinyurl.com/y4wxxz6k

I absolutely positively did not pay €15+ for it though. I have a recollection of it costing €8.99. Don't actually remember why I bought it but quite possibly to activate free postage or something like that.

Anyway, whether or which, I find I use it quite a lot. There's a bleed function in it so you can let a psi or 2 out of the tire and set to exactly whatever pressure you want.

• Advertisement

Brand_New wrote: »
    The number on the sidewall of the tyre or the actual measurement?
    It's hard to compare without knowing which!

I have both 25mm and 28mm mounted on two different wheelsets at the minute. Just measured them.

25mm are measuring 26.5mm and 26.7mm
    28mm are measuring 29.0mm and 28.7mm

LOL
    I got a tire pressure gauge. The one linked below.

https://tinyurl.com/y4wxxz6k

I absolutely positively did not pay €15+ for it though. I have a recollection of it costing €8.99. Don't actually remember why I bought it but quite possibly to activate free postage or something like that.

Anyway, whether or which, I find I use it quite a lot. There's a bleed function in it so you can let a psi or 2 out of the tire and set to exactly whatever pressure you want.
    Ye I guessed something like that! But never used them and not sure I've had the need or how accurate they are!

Ye I guessed something like that! But never used them and not sure I've had the need or how accurate they are!

Gives same readings as my track pump. (I'll pump to, say 80, on the pump and the pressure gauge will read the same)

Absolutely no need for it whatsoever though!!! But I use it because it's there. Sometimes 😛

Gives same readings as my track pump. (I'll pump to, say 80, on the pump and the pressure gauge will read the same)

Absolutely no need for it whatsoever though!!! But I use it because it's there. Sometimes 😛

No need at all (adds one to shopping cart).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

TK Lemon wrote: »

Don't know what logic they used but I would assume that is unsuitable for a road bike (or even a hybrid) as they would require pressure that the petrol stations machine could cope with.
    The bicycle tyres would have different valves to the station pump (I'm assuming the bike has press valves whereas cars have Schrader valves)

Advertisement