Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bored-zees Decide: Live Aid 1985 Alternative Line Up UK

• 18-07-2020 3:22pm

I had a smashing day by the TV back in 85' watching this spectacle from start to finish- and wouldn't change a thing- until now :D

I hated the US/Philadelphia concert- the worst Led Zep performance ever, Bob Dylan being a dick talking about US farmers, Madonna- need i say more? So let's forget that part of it and concentrate on the proper show, the Wembley Stadium Stage UK live line up only.

How to play:

Below are the artists that played live sets on the Wembley stage. You have a chance to kick out 5 acts (except for the Finale) and replace them with an alternative act.

The rules are:
    1. They must have been alive and already established as international artists (so no Elvis's or Nirvana's please)
    2. They didn't feature in the Philadelphia or other live/video link up's throughout the day (so that excludes, INXS, Simple Minds, Tom Petty etc etc (full list of artists at both concerts at the link below)
    3. You don't have to give reasons for your choices but in the event of a tie-breaker, the reasons will become significant
    4. The 5 bands/artists with the most votes will be eliminated- we'll then see who the replacement artists are based on the tally of alternative nominations -
    5. I'll let this run for a week or so and see how it's doing- please tell your bored friends :D to get involved- the more voting the better

My votes are:
    OUT:
    Adam Ant (was irrelevant at that stage)
    Nik Kershaw (one hit wonder boy- should never have been considered)
    Howard Jones (couldn't stand him)
    Elton John/Kiki Dee/Wham (Elton still remains in his solo slot)
    Freddie Mercury/Brian May (Queen of course, remains)

IN:
    Thin Lizzy (apparently they were never asked to play- such a pity)
    Eurythmics (Annie Lennox had voice problems at the time)
    Talking Heads (apparently they turned down a request to appear)
    UB40- Reggae was so big in the UK in the early/mid 80's but you wouldn't think it from the current line up
    Madness (apparently they were not together as a band at this time)

12.02 Status Quo
    12.19 Style Council
    12.44 Boomtown Rats
    13.00 Adam Ant
    13.16 Ultravox
    13.47 Spandau Ballet
    14.07 Elvis Costello
    14.22 Nik Kershaw
    14.55 Sade
    15.18 Sting
    15.35 Phil Collins
    15.50 Howard Jones
    16.03 Bryan Ferry
    16.38 Paul Young / Alison Moyet
    17.20 U2
    18.00 Dire Straits and Sting
    18.44 Queen
    19.22 David Bowie
    20.00 The Who
    20.50 Elton John
    21.05 Elton John / Kiki Dee / Wham!
    21.48 Freddie Mercury / Brian May
    21.51 Paul McCartney
    21.54 McCartney / Bowie / Pete Townshend / Alison Moyet / Bob Geldof
    21.56 UK finale from Wembley

http://liveaid.free.fr/pages/liveaidtimesdetaileduk.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Out Adam Ant

In Culture Club

Boy George was off his proverbials and couldn't make the line up someone get him clean and they could have wowed the crowd at this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Didn't the Who play in Wembley also? Not on your line up

Out Adam Ant

In Culture Club

Boy George was off his proverbials and couldn't make the line up someone get him clean and they could have wowed the crowd at this one.
    Feel free to vote up to 5 IN/Out's
    Didn't the Who play in Wembley also? Not on your line up

Sorry & thanks-an over-deletion on my part as I was separating out the US appearances.

Out Adam Ant

In Culture Club

It's actually very interesting reading up on who didn't appear and why.You're on the money about BG at the time and a pity, considering he sung on the Christmas single

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/lifestyle/entertainment/boy-george-why-culture-club-didnt-take-part-in-live-aid/

One of the biggest criticisms of the concert was the lack of black artists. The US part of the show was promoted by Bill Graham and apparently he warned off artists rather than encourage them to appear. America also had the "We are the world" charity single, so there was a bit of tension and mis-trust I think against the Live Aid side, so a lot of the American black artists seemed to vote en-block not to appear on the show.

Saying that, I'm trying to think of very successful UKI based black artists at the time who were over-looked- I've mentioned UB40 and Thin Lizzy- Eddie Grant comes to mind but at the time, he wasn't performing well in the charts before his return to success in 87' with Gimmie Hope Joanna.

All honesty I'd add The Pogues and take out Howard Jones

Out Howard Jones

In The Pogues

The Pogues were founded in London they would have added to the Irish element of Live Aid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Love the Bob Geldofs version of the Live Aid single story.

“I called him and said: ‘Get in a car and get the Concorde.’
    And the laziest f*** in the world gets up and gets in a car and gets on Concorde and arrives at 6pm.”

Name dropping for now

Shakin' Stevens as a warm up act

Kate Bush
    New Order,
    Altered Images,
    The Specials
    Heaven 17
    The Police
    A-ha
    Tears For Fears
    Level 42
    Billy Idol
    Fine Young Cannibals
    The Cult
    Strawberry Switchblade
    Gary Moore & Phil Lynott
    Pet Shop Boys

ZZ Top
    Jean Michel Jarre
    Billy Joel

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would have replaced Bryan Ferry with Roger Waters and put Nick Mason on the drums....

The Spandaus were the act I could not bear to waste valuable negatives on though - AC/DC were the one band I would have liked to have seen ahead of a number of the New Romantics that day

Of course there was only one Freddie

520375.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

First off OP: Nik Kershaw was not a one hit wonder! Are you one of the people who think his only hit was Wouldn't it be Good?? Well, it wasn't! Here's some more for starters: I Won't Let the Sun Go Down on Me, The Riddle, Human Racing and Wide Boy and I know there were a few more! Incidentally, I Won't Let the Sun etc. reached No. 2 and The Riddle reached No. 3 in the UK Charts! Wouldn't It be Good reached No. 4!

Now that I've got that off my chest (!)....

Five Out - this is not easy as I enjoyed most of them:
    Ultravox
    Howard Jones
    Elton John / Kiki Dee /Wham
    Boomtown Rats (if one forgets what this was all about in the first place!!)
    Status Quo

Five In (difficult for a different reason - hard to keep it down to five)
    New Order - wonderful blend of indie pop/rock and technology and maybe a bit of Goth rock in attitude and lyrics (not the music though!)

The Smiths - great jangly guitar music from Johnny Marr and wonderfully morose charisma of Morrissey!

Tears for Fears - great synth-based rock and vocals

Peter Gabriel - Great voice and interesting songs (yes, I know this was before has mega seller So!)

Talk Talk - always interesting music

@ Captn'tMidnight- some serious choices there- will be interested in seen you're final 5 and who you kick out.

@ Beasty- yes indeed- even then, your instincts around the longevity or otherwise of the New Romantics was spot on :D

Looking forward to seeing the 5/OUT 5/IN choices of all- hope this thread gets some traction and we can have a good olde discussion along the way too. The journey, and discussion which is encouraged on this thread BTW, will be as interesting as the end result. :)

First off OP: Nik Kershaw was not a one hit wonder! Are you one of the people who think his only hit was Wouldn't it be Good?? Well, it wasn't! Here's some more for starters: I Won't Let the Sun Go Down on Me, The Riddle, Human Racing and Wide Boy and I know there were a few more! Incidentally, I Won't Let the Sun etc. reached No. 2 and The Riddle reached No. 3 in the UK Charts! Wouldn't It be Good reached No. 4!

HA HA! :D

I knew I'd get someone's back up :p

Yes I know, he's not a "one hit wonder"- he's really a 2 hit wonder :p:p:p:pac:

"Wouldn't it Be Good" and "I won't let the sun" were bleedin massive back in the day- the others, less so in terms of irish radio play- OK, put it this way, you get 2 free tickets to a Nick Kershaw concert- what do you do? I know what I'd do...stay in the bar until the encore and listen to "Wouldn't it be good" and "I won't let the sun" - :D:D:D

Thanks for supporting the thread BTW and best of luck :)

edit- PS- I was going to suggest The Smiths myself, and thought i"d be breaking my own rules around "Internationally known" - they were still a relatively unknown band outside the underground in July 85 and they probably wouldn't have been in the top 10 mix if a few of the actual bands pulled out, but I knew there would be a number of voters for The Smiths, so not getting into semantics on rules here- The Smiths, absolutely, and they would have been brilliant. :)

• Advertisement

HA HA! :D

I knew I'd get someone's back up :p

Yes I know, he's not a "one hit wonder"- he's really a 2 hit wonder :p:p:p:pac:

"Wouldn't it Be Good" and "I won't let the sun" were bleedin massive back in the day- the others, less so in terms of irish radio play- OK, put it this way, you get 2 free tickets to a Nick Kershaw concert- what do you do? I know what I'd do...stay in the bar until the encore and listen to "Wouldn't it be good" and "I won't let the sun" - :D:D:D

Thanks for supporting the thread BTW and best of luck :)

I know! I know! I just couldn't let it go! And I might add that he was more than a two hit wonder as well! I listed five of his hits there, but there were a few more!

I'm curious how this "alternative line up" will work out, especially as the most popular answers are going to be knocked out!

I'm curious how this "alternative line up" will work out, especially as the most popular answers are going to be knocked out!

I'm just waiting on someone to knock-out Queen- they'll need Mod protection on this thread :P

I'm just waiting on someone to knock-out Queen- they'll need Mod protection on this thread :P

Anyone who knocks Queen out did not see the see their performance on Live Aid!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Anyone who knocks Queen out did not see the see their performance on Live Aid!

The man speaks the truth. Interested to see how this develops not sure who i would remove and who I would put in yet.

Necro wrote: »
    The man speaks the truth. Interested to see how this develops not sure who i would remove and who I would put in yet.

Welcome to the LiveAid party Necro & thanks for your interest.

@ All- to keep things simple (for me), I'll look for your FINAL 3/4/5 votes for IN/OUT towards the end of next week - it will make the tally that bit simpler. I'll review mid-week and those who have posted their final votes, I'll include as a mid-week update.

thanks again :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Out:
    Coldstream Guards
    Spandau Ballet
    Nick Kershaw
    Adam Ant
    Howard Jones

In:
    AC/DC
    Pink Floyd
    Thin Lizzy
    Peter Gabriel
    Kate Bush

Interestingly (to me anyway) my first concert after Live Aid was AC/DC at Manchester Apollo exactly 6 months to the day after Live Aid

Angus' hair was a lot less than kempt that day:

520387.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Swap Howard Jones for Rory Gallagher, I saw Geldof on an interview saying what an amazing performer Rory was, the best he's ever seen. Why didn't you ask him to play then you muppet?

Spandau Ballet for Deep Purple. They had the classic line-up with Blackmore in 85.

Elton John and Kiki Dee for The Pogues. Some great songs they could have played. Add a bit of attitude to the proceedings as well.

Kershaw out, Van Morrison in. Brown eyed girl would have been a great crowd pleaser.

The Coldstream Guards for the The Blues Brothers band. 'We're getting the band back together for Live Aid' it would have been awesome.

Out
    Ultravox
    Sade
    Style Council
    Nik Kershaw
    Howard Jones

In
    The Wolfe Tones
    The Pogues
    Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
    Blondie
    Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

Out:
    Boomtown Rats
    Adam Ant
    Nik Kershaw
    Howard Jones
    Mercury/ May

In:
    Jean Michel Jarre
    Vangelis (With Jon Anderson)
    Pink Floyd
    Mike Oldfield (Maggie Reilly/Roger Chapman)
    AC/DC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

fran38 wrote: »
    Out:
    Boomtown Rats
    Ah here.

OK, so Bob's a dickhead, but he made the day happen.

The moment where he sang 'What reason do you need to die?' and froze with his arm in the air will stay with me till the day I die. I get a real chill down my spine whenever it is repeated.

• Advertisement

Can I change for Five Out selection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Nik Kershaw had five top 10 hits (his *Irish* song The Riddle reached #3) and two more reached the top 20. When A Heart Beats peaking at #27 broke the spell. Like Paul Young and Howard Jones (all played Live Aid), their third albums all emerged in 1986 and were much less successful. Quality wise, they were fine.

OUT
    The Who (a spent force by 1985)
    Adam Ant (maybe two years too late)
    Freddie Mercury & Brian May (nice playing of Is This The World We Created but give someone else a shot)

IN
    Tears For Fears (massive then and should have played. Everybody Wants To RUN The World for Sports Aid was scant consolation)
    Kate Bush (a live appearance then showcasing the upcoming Running Up The Hill plus say Wuthering Heights & Baboohska would have been ace)
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood (Two Tribes is my favourite single of all time - would have been great)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

Nik Kershaw had five top 10 hits (his *Irish* song The Riddle reached #3) and two more reached the top 20. When A Heart Beats peaking at #27 broke the spell. Like Paul Young and Howard Jones (all played Live Aid), their third albums all emerged in 1986 and were much less successful. Quality wise, they were fine.

OUT
    Freddie Mercury & Brian May (nice playing of Is This The World We Created but give someone else a shot)

IN
    Tears For Fears (massive then and should have played. Everybody Wants To RUN The World for Sports Aid was scant consolation)
    Kate Bush (a live appearance then showcasing the upcoming Running Up The Hill plus say Wuthering Heights & Baboohska would have been ace)
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood (Two Tribes is my favourite single of all time - would have been great)

Maybe a little too hot to handle at the time re: Relax and the BBC ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

OUT

IN

I love your 'IN' choices, but your 'spent force' is currently scheduled for a very large tour, while most others are on the scratcher!

https://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/the-who-tickets/artist/945180

I've just tallied all votes in/votes out- so tell me your original 5 and new 5 please and I'll update my summary post accordingly

OUT: story so far - those in bold most likely to go at present

Howard Jones 6 Votes
    Elton John / Kiki Dee /Wham 3 Votes
    Boomtown Rats 1 Vote
    Elton John 1 Vote
    Status Quo 1 Vote
    Adam Ant 4 Votes
    Nik Kershaw 5 Votes
    Freddie Mercury/Brian May 2 Votes
    The Who 1 Vote
    Coldstream Guards 2 Votes
    Spandau Ballet 2 Votes
    Sade 1 Vote
    Style Council 1 Vote
    Ultravox 1 Vote

IN: so far suggestions and votes

Kate Bush 2 Votes
    Tears for Fears 2 Votes
    Peter Gabriel 2 Votes
    The Pogues 2 Votes
    Thin Lizzy 2 Votes

All others 1 Vote so far:

Rory Gallagher
    Deep Purple.
    Van Morrison
    The Blues Brothers band.
    New Order
    The Smiths
    Talk Talk
    AC/DC
    Pink Floyd
    The Wolfe Tones
    Blondie
    Jean Michel Jarre
    Pink Floyd
    AC/DC
    Eurythmics
    Talking Heads
    UB40
    Madness
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Out Adam Ant

In Culture Club

All honesty I'd add The Pogues and take out Howard Jones

Out Howard Jones

In The Pogues

The Pogues were founded in London they would have added to the Irish element of Live Aid.

I haven't included your votes yet as you didn't provide a 5. in 5 out- if the above are all you wish to vote for, then that's great, I'll include in the above tally.

AC/DC came out saying they didn't like the attention attached to the event they preferred to do their philanthropic endeavours anonymously.

Gotta hand it to them in one sense they're musicians and Bono is a loud mouth and Geldof is known mainly for a misquote associated with Live Aid.

AC/DC came out saying they didn't like the attention attached to the event they preferred to do their philanthropic endeavours anonymously.

Gotta hand it to them in one sense they're musicians and Bono is a loud mouth and Geldof is known mainly for a misquote associated with Live Aid.

You don't know Bob Geldof was the lead singer of an Irish band that had a number of hits in the UK in the '70s and the first half of the '80s, including two Number 1s? The Boomtown Rats were the first Irish rock band to get to Number 1 in the UK Singles Charts! Anyway I would have thought he was more famous for Band Aid than something he was misquoted as saying at Live Aid!

• Advertisement

He never said give us your fcukin money is my point, that is all I'm emphasizing here in this context.

……………………………………………………………………..
    Five Out - this is not easy as I enjoyed most of them:
    Adam Ant (replaces Ultravox)
    Howard Jones
    Elton John (replaces Boomtown Rats)
    Status Quo

Five In (difficult for a different reason - hard to keep it down to five)
    New Order - wonderful blend of indie pop/rock and technology and maybe a bit of Goth rock in attitude and lyrics (not the music though!)

The Smiths - great jangly guitar music from Johnny Marr and wonderfully morose charisma of Morrissey!

Tears for Fears - great synth-based rock and vocals

Peter Gabriel - Great voice and interesting songs (yes, I know this was before has mega seller So!)

Talk Talk - always interesting music

I've just tallied all votes in/votes out- so tell me your original 5 and new 5 please and I'll update my summary post accordingly

See two amendments above. Thanks.

See two amendments above. Thanks.

I've reflected those changes now in the tally on page 2- cheers :)

AC/DC & Metallica - neither act has released a Best Of or Greatest Hits compilation yet. Must be the longest hold-outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In

Bruce Springsteen
    Thin Lizzy
    Blondie
    Michael Jackson
    The Ramones

Out

Nik Kershaw
    Simple Minds
    Adam Ant
    The Who
    Boomtown Rats

Out

Howard Jones
    Status Quo
    Adam Ant
    Nik Kershaw
    Sade

In

Culture Club
    The Pogues
    Kate Bush
    Thin Lizzy
    Shirley Bassey

Only one I think I need to explain is Shirley Bassey who at this point in 1985 was on a major charity drive in London for local services and would have added to the vocals of the two singles if included in the line up. She could have done a great duet with Kate Bush as well.

• Advertisement

UPDATE: Just a few days left to vote:

OUT: (The Top 5 at the end of the week will be gone to be replaced by the Top 5 from the IN crowd

Howard Jones 7 Votes
    Boomtown Rats 2 Votes
    Elton John 1 Vote
    Status Quo 2 Votes
    Adam Ant 6 Votes
    Nik Kershaw 7 Votes
    The Who 2 Votes
    Coldstream Guards 2 Votes
    Spandau Ballet 2 Votes
    Sade 2 Votes
    Style Council 1 Vote
    Ultravox 1 Vote

Kate Bush 3 Votes
    Tears for Fears 2 Votes
    Peter Gabriel 2 Votes
    The Pogues 3 Votes
    Thin Lizzy 4 Votes
    Blondie 2 Votes

Rory Gallagher
    Deep Purple.
    Van Morrison
    The Blues Brothers band.
    New Order
    The Smiths
    Talk Talk
    AC/DC
    Pink Floyd
    The Wolfe Tones
    Jean Michel Jarre
    Pink Floyd
    AC/DC
    Eurythmics
    Talking Heads
    UB40
    Madness
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood[/QUOTE]
    Bruce Springsteen
    Michael Jackson
    The Ramones
    Culture Club
    Shirley Bassey

Can I vote someone back in that others want voting out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

OUT:
    Coldstream Guards...who?
    Elvis Costello
    Nik Kershaw
    Style Council
    Status Quo

IN
    Prince
    Michael Jackson
    The Cure
    Blondie
    Kate Bush

Will keep open till weekend and hopefully close out then, depending on interest. (This is a nice quick tournament so don't want to drag it out too much. Thanks all for voting so far, keep the votes coming in in the style of 5 Out 5 In please.

OUT: (The Top 5 at the end of the week will be gone to be replaced by the Top 5 from the IN crowd

Howard Jones 7 Votes
    Boomtown Rats 2 Votes
    Elton John 1 Vote
    Status Quo 3 Votes
    Adam Ant 6 Votes
    Nik Kershaw 8 Votes
    The Who 2 Votes
    Coldstream Guards 3 Votes
    Spandau Ballet 2 Votes
    Sade 2 Votes
    Style Council 2 Votes
    Ultravox 1 Vote
    Elvis Costello 1 Vote

Kate Bush 4 Votes
    Tears for Fears 2 Votes
    Peter Gabriel 2 Votes
    The Pogues 3 Votes
    Thin Lizzy 4 Votes
    Blondie 3 Votes
    Michael Jackson 2 Votes

Rory Gallagher
    Deep Purple.
    Van Morrison
    The Blues Brothers band.
    New Order
    The Smiths
    Talk Talk
    AC/DC
    Pink Floyd
    The Wolfe Tones
    Jean Michel Jarre
    Pink Floyd
    AC/DC
    Eurythmics
    Talking Heads
    UB40
    Madness
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood[/QUOTE]
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Ramones
    Culture Club
    Shirley Bassey
    Prince
    The Cure

Can I vote someone back in that others want voting out?

Strictly 5 In 5 Out voting method as others have done- your choice who goes, who comes in but its then down to the votes of all to decide (unless tie break and reasons come into play)
    Reberetta wrote: »
    OUT:
    Coldstream Guards...who?
    (I've included your votes in the above update.

Yeah, indeed. Look, I wasn't going to get hung up on rules and regulations too much on this thread. While I assumed the bands in scope on the Live Aid UK stage, from Status Quo kick off onwards, some rather clever individual took my "UK Stage" stipulation literally, and snuck in the Coldstream Guards, who did indeed perform on stage - I was going to disallow that but you know what, who cares. And they're gathering "out" votes so I'm going to leave as-is- If they achieve "out" status, I'll have great fun choosing an artist and a song to accompany the Prince and Princess of Wales into their seats so all good :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Reberetta wrote: »
    OUT:
    Coldstream Guards...who?
    Elvis Costello
    Nik Kershaw
    Style Council
    Status Quo

IN
    Prince
    Michael Jackson
    The Cure
    Blondie
    Kate Bush

A military band. They played the theme tune to Dad's Army

I’m gonna get thinking of bands to add in.

I distinctly remember Phil Collins played in Wembey then jumped on a jet a played stateside too. Should he be in the lineup?

I’m gonna get thinking of bands to add in.

I distinctly remember Phil Collins played in Wembey then jumped on a jet a played stateside too. Should he be in the lineup?

I'm aware of that. He played UK stage. He's in the line up. Like I said, I'm keeping this simple. But

I'm totally excluding all other US stage acts from being included as replacements to UK stage acts- so for example, Bob Dylan played US stage- so you can't replace him with Nick Kershaw

Out

Boomtown Rats 2 Votes
    Coldstream Guards
    Ultravox
    Elvis Costello

IN:
    Simple Minds
    Tears for Fears
    Bananarama
    UB40

Out

Boomtown Rats 2 Votes
    Coldstream Guards
    Ultravox
    Elvis Costello

IN:
    Simple Minds
    Tears for Fears
    Bananarama
    UB40

Simple minds played US- excluded- pick a different act for them instead and I’ll update then

Simple minds played US- excluded- pick a different act for them instead and I’ll update then

I’ll add bronski beat instead please

I’ll add bronski beat instead please

Jimmy Somerville left them in summer 1985.

Ah FFS. I’m gonna think about this for a little bit longer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Jacko and Springsteen have to be in

The Bronski Beat continued without Jimmy Somerville. They had a hit with Hit that Perfect Beat with their first replacement John Foster. The keyboard wizards were Steve Bronski and the late Larry Steinbachek......
    Although, I think they were between singers that summer so, yeah, they could not have performed in July.

Just on a side note: According to Wikipedia, Jimmy Somerville's musical partner in his next band The Communards - Richard Coles - was an early member of The Bronski Beat. I never knew that. He does play the clarinet in It Ain't Necessarily So.

• Advertisement
Advertisement