Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Night rate meter question

• 17-07-2020 9:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

I have one of those digital meters, it was installed by the ESB in early 2017 when I switched to night rate. I just opened up my ESB meter and the time on it said 19:57 (real time was just after 21:03)

Does this meter keep winter time or something? Surely it is not more than an hour behind?

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭ KCross

unkel wrote: »
    I have one of those digital meters, it was installed by the ESB in early 2017 when I switched to night rate. I just opened up my ESB meter and the time on it said 19:57 (real time was just after 21:03)

Does this meter keep winter time or something? Surely it is not more than an hour behind?

That’s normal.

It doesn’t adjust itself for summer/winter time.

When the clock on the meter shows 23:00 is when your night rate starts.

Based on the times you’ve given your meter is 6mins slow so it will be 6mins passed midnight before your night rate starts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

I was hoping you'd say that :D

Was afraid for a second that my first hour of night rate use has been charged at day rate for the past few years, costing me hundreds :eek:

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭ graememk

unkel wrote: »
    I was hoping you'd say that :D

Was afraid for a second that my first hour of night rate use has been charged at day rate for the past few years, costing me hundreds :eek:

the clock stopped on my parents old meter .. when it was at night, needless to say they werent long in fixing it when it was noticed!

Advertisement