Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laminate flooring problem

• 17-07-2020 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi anyone had a problem with new laminate flooring creaking badly when walked on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Hi anyone had a problem with new laminate flooring creaking badly when walked on

I'm assuming its upstairs?
    I've experienced this in our sons bedroom,
    So before having the other rooms done upstairs I screwed down the underfloor with some 5mm x 40mm screws before having the floor fitted this really helped prevent alot of creaking but not fully illiminated

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭fido_dido

I have similar problem, its new built house and pretty much entire ground floor has creaking noise. anywhere I put my step I feel the laminates are creaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭tenbob1

Do you know the brand by any chance ? There is a few laminates currently on the market that we have had this exact problem with.

@tenbob1, I just checked the bill and it says Everest Oak Beige on it.

Ok, we sell lots of that stuff, no issues at all with it. Sounds like it is either fitted to tight (not enough expansion) or the sub-floor is uneven, again a fitting issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Amias

Question. We have a soft spot in our LVT from the hall to the kitchen. Floor was in even I guess as it’s a new build. Fitted 1.5 years ago. Can this be fixed somehow

Hi Amias, again I would need to know the product lots of different LVT's around. If it is a dryback (non click) then its an easy fix, if its a click in floor it can be more difficult, soft spots are usually caused by a dip in the concrete underneath,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭rodmn2377

is it creaking or crackling... we put down floors in our house and they crackled more than creaked from day one... they were so bad... we had 2 different types of underlay down so it wasn't that... after about 2 months we went back to the shop and in fairness to them they came out too see it and said it wasn't a fitting problem but the floor... they contacted the rep who was a pig of a man he came and tried to blame that we hadn't put expansion breaks between rooms even though one of the rooms was a stand alone room.. the shop said that he was being a d@ck and in fairness to them replaced the whole floor themselves...turned out they had sold the floor to another customer who had the same problem so it looks like it was a faulty floor...

Hi @tenbob1, I am not sure if its sub floor issue or the fitting issue. Mine is a new built. The floors were put on about 3 months ago.

I complained to the shop and they sent the fitter who came over to see. They said its floor that is not levelled. Would there be any fix to this?

I don't want to live like this for rest of my life where every time I walk, I keep hearing clicking sound over entire ground floor of mine.

If it is a sub-floor issue then there is nothing really that can be done short of taking the lot up, leveling the floor and re-installing. Nightmare job.

On that though, if the subfloor was not up to standard, then that should have been identified by the fitter BEFORE they fitted it, that's one of the reasons that these fitters are paid so much money to install. IF the runs of flooring are greater than 9m without expansion strips, that could also cause problems as well, might be worth your while getting someone independant to go out and have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 carpetsindubai

Laminate flooring is more durable and sturdy than traditional flooring and with good reason. Laminate floors are easy to keep clean with a simple sweep or broom and maintain their luster and natural beauty between pricey flooring maintenance. Laminate flooring is detailed, beautiful, and durable. Clean them regularly. Their maintenance is very easy and also they are very easy to install.

Thanks for this @tenbob1

For now I am chasing the guys who did the flooring. If that doesn't work I will find someone independent to come and have a look.

Would you know any approx cost it would take to level the subfloor?

It would be quite difficult to say with out actually having a look at the job. A guide price of €10-€15 m2 should cover it, may not even need much remedial work at all ! (Costs may be higher in Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 KrazyKMM

Did you use an underlayment? They make them specifically for quieter floors when you walk on them.

Advertisement