Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with Coach

Options
  • 16-07-2020 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭

Over the past 7 years ive hired 3 coaches at various times for the same purpose of getting lean. I've a decent knowledge of training and motivation wouldn't be an issue. But eating like I'm on a perma-bulk is the main weakness I have - so I'd hire mostly for accountability and for guidance on calories and macros.
    I decided to get leaner for summer so I hired a guy who had good results for himself and his clients (as per social media) and I knew 2 of his clients myself.

I had left the previous 2 coaches cos I was annoyed that I'd check-in weekly as requested (on time every time) , giving the usual on how week went, calorie log and progress pics.
    But often there was no comment or acknowledgement back. I was actually suspicious they weren't reading the check-ins on some occasions.
    Id' say things that we not addressed in a follow-up or ask questions that were not answered.

I did raise it and tbf to coach #2 he did raise his game on that front. His time keeping in his responses and delivering updates wasn't great so that's kinda why I didn't go back to him.

The new guy is now doing the same. :mad:
    I've no problem raising it as an issue (and ending the relationship if needed) but I'd be put off hiring somebody else if this is what I'm getting as a service and tbh I'm sick of raising it. I think it just unprofessional.

Is this the norm? Am I asking too much to expect feedback per check-in?
    Or is the level of service that poor among fitness practitioners.

I should be fair , i have gotten decent results from all 3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Cill94

Speaking as a coach, this is not an acceptable level of service. I do weekly Zoom calls with clients to ensure programme is going okay and any queries are answered. I have colleagues who do the same, and punctuality for these check-ins is just a given.

There are a lot of incompetent people in fitness industry as the barrier to entry is far too low. The answer is to stop giving them business and do business with the people who care. Have sent you PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Had you discussed exactly what you needed from him re accountability etc?

While I've asked that, I still don't think it's ok for there to be no form of feedback. Otherwise what exactly is the point of paying somebody?

It is unprofessional. There has to be some form of feedback. Not just feedback from them in the form of their thoughts on what you have done but seeking feedback from you on what is and isn't working.

Like if you were mostly being coached for the workout itself, asking what is and isn't working...are there any issues with certain lifts....does it work for the time you have to train....etc etc etc.

It's one thing for them to slip into lazy mode after a while but quite another to be lazy from the start.

As for results with other clients, the clients might have achieved those results despite the 'coach'.

Frankly, they're not a coach based on what you've said. Sounds like some cookie cutter bullshít

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

OP are lot of people doing this coaching are part timers not professionals. In my experience it accounts for a lot of the lack of professionalism. It can also be laziness.
    There are a lot of incompetent people in fitness industry as the barrier to entry is far too low. The answer is to stop giving them business and do business with the people who care. Have sent you PM.

This is also true.

In my experience if you ask questions are they are not answering ..they don't know the answers or lack experience and are unsure.

Anyone can get someone results because ultimately its not your coach that gets you results ..its you. If you have a very hard working client or experience in fitness( which a lot of clients are) ..then they will get results. And you can take a pic of them and put it on your wall and say I DID THAT. Which is obviously untrue.

Sometimes you will ask a coach something and they might not know. They should say....i am not certain ..but i will look it up for you. Then they should get back to you.

Hire a coach who does this as their 'main thing'. Not a side gig. But still has enough time to give you. Make sure they are qualified and experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

OP are lot of people doing this coaching are part timers not professionals.

A lot of the people doing it full time are not professional either, FWIW.

OP, coaching comes in many formats.
    Some people want gym instruction, they want to turn up and be told what to do for an hour, and forget about it.
    Other people want to be told what to eat, given a full diet plan, and a few token exercises.
    Other people what technical coaching. This is probably the hardest to find as it requires an elite technical knowledge, not a overview course and insurance.

Sounds like you the fourth type. You have you basic training and diet, you just want some guidance and accountability. Somebody to call you on out if you are taking the piss. No every trainer is going to offer this service tbh. I would think that it is the norm from all clients to want it. So maybe you'd have to be specific at the start. Spell out that that you want structured feedback. Make it clear that you expect to pay for this time, but you want a dedicated 30mins per week. (2 x 15 minute updates) or whatever time you agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

thanks for the responses.
    we had a chat at the weekend and we discontinued the relationship. Which was for the best.

I decided I've been training long enough and I am able to do it myself.

I'll just keep logging my meals and judge on weight and pics and take it as a project to prove to myself I can.
    It's not a competitive goal like a bodybuilding contest / sporting contest where I think a coach is definitely beneficial just my own body re-comp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

By now, you'll have a decent grasp on the calories and macros. After that, it's just applying the discipline you need to apply that in a sustainable way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Op, meal plans and nutrition plans are a total scam. They calculate your TDEE, which you could do yourself, calculate a macro split like 40/40/20 or 30/40/30, and then fill in a load of template foods.

They then go to their excel sheet of template foods, and grab some of the usual to hit your calories and macros. Some favourites include Liberte yogurt, oats mixed with protein powder, Coco Pops to 'replenish glycogen stores' after the workout, added to other things that you already know are healthy. You end up eating the same things throughout the week, it's so boring.

I was with two of them when starting out on my journey and I'd tell everybody to stay well away. I had an almost identical experience with them, whereby the cost seemed to be for the initial plan, and the promised check ins were almost ignored. Also promised was 24 hour support but, with exact quantities of what to be eating, why would you even need to ask questions. A lot of these lads aren't professional, theres nobody holding them accountable and they often have a strong social media presence so that one complaint wont mean anything.

If you can learn some discipline, and be accountable to yourself, keep taking the pictures but for you - you'll save an absolute fortune on PT's who stand there and count to 10 and Nutrition Coaches who have your meal plan done in 5 minutes.

What are they really giving you anyway when you send in the pics? Great job this week, here's your new meal plan (subtracts 100 calories from old plan).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Cill94

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Op, meal plans and nutrition plans are a total scam. They calculate your TDEE, which you could do yourself, calculate a macro split like 40/40/20 or 30/40/30, and then fill in a load of template foods.

A lot of these lads aren't professional, theres nobody holding them accountable and they often have a strong social media presence so that one complaint wont mean anything.

If you can learn some discipline, and be accountable to yourself, keep taking the pictures but for you - you'll save an absolute fortune on PT's who stand there and count to 10 and Nutrition Coaches who have your meal plan done in 5 minutes.

Yep. Nobody I know who has good nutrition nailed down follows any specific meal plan. They've just cultivated the discipline to make good food choices, and have taken the time to educate themselves on calories and macros in common foods. A coach can't do that for you.

I would add though that while there are a lot of coaches in the industry as you've described, there are good ones out there. You just have to look for referrals from people who have had good experiences.

Instead most people just go for the guy on Instagram with no qualifications who uploads photos of his abs all day, and then act surprised when he doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Mellor wrote: »
    A lot of the people doing it full time are not professional either, FWIW.

I never said they weren't. But it's something i have noticed in part timers.

Also people who are not working or have never worked in a gym. Coaches working in a gym usually are surrounded by at least one or two people who know what they are doing.

I know coaching comes tailored to the clients needs. :rolleyes:

If you want someone to be a drill Sargent and keep you on track and give out...you have to find that personality type.

Some people find it hard to challenge others and point out their flaws.

Advertisement