Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a noob

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Hi all again. Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just ask the question here. I've been out often enough on the Cannondale and am really enjoying it. I definitely enjoy cx style riding more than enduro style stuff. I've been on trail forks trying to look at a route that might take in some of Ticknock and head over to Tibradden. I've never ridden the trails over around Cruagh woods - what are people's thoughts on them? How do they compare? Would a route from one to the other be feasible?

Thanks again in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Hi all again. Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just ask the question here. I've been out often enough on the Cannondale and am really enjoying it. I definitely enjoy cx style riding more than enduro style stuff. I've been on trail forks trying to look at a route that might take in some of Ticknock and head over to Tibradden. I've never ridden the trails over around Cruagh woods - what are people's thoughts on them? How do they compare? Would a route from one to the other be feasible?

Thanks again in advance!

Easy to find your way to Tibradden from Ticknock, mix of trails over there from XC to pretty steep tech - some very established and a few new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Very useful thread to read for a noob! Plan on doing balliastoe tomorrow or friday and enjoyed this video. The descent that he starts at 3:00 min guys, is that Black Forest? Looks nice and fast and not too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Yes thats black forest. Its quite a flat trail, I'd even argue the first half might be uphill. The main coilte loop at ballinastoe is very doable by all skill levels. They recently redid expressway and its running very nice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3c-p-2pZ28

mad turnip wrote: »
    Yes thats black forest. Its quite a flat trail, I'd even argue the first half might be uphill. The main coilte loop at ballinastoe is very doable by all skill levels. They recently redid expressway and its running very nice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3c-p-2pZ28

I watched that earlier, looks epic and much more difficult than black forest!

• Advertisement

I'm sure you will surprise yourself. You won't be going nearly as fast as the person in the video. Your bike will roll over everything just need to point it in the right direction and don't go so fast that your out of control. Theres a large margin of error on the main trails and if your out of your comfort zone too much you can always walk a feature. The biggest mistake newer riders make on those trails is going too fast, so just take it easy and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

How do the trail centres compare to each other in terms of difficulty? I've not been to Ballinastoe or Derroura or anywhere else really... Just Ticknock amd the forest up near Brittas years ago. Is there much of a difference in technical skill required?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

How do the trail centres compare to each other in terms of difficulty? I've not been to Ballinastoe or Derroura or anywhere else really... Just Ticknock amd the forest up near Brittas years ago. Is there much of a difference in technical skill required?

They're all something that an absolute novice would be able to navigate. In terms of the difficulty of the official coillte loops I'd have Ballinastoe easiest, then Ballyhoura, then Ticknock. Haven't done other trail centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Derroura is pretty non eventful but a nice spin non the less, the biggest issue on the trails over there are walkers. I usually don't mind them too much when I'm out but they're a bloody nuisance on that trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wailin wrote: »
    Very useful thread to read for a noob! Plan on doing balliastoe tomorrow or friday and enjoyed this video. The descent that he starts at 3:00 min guys, is that Black Forest? Looks nice and fast and not too difficult.

No, thats double trouble, quite pedally and more of a means to an end than anything else.
    If he had of gone straight at the end rather than starting to climb he would have ended up on the black forest section. It has more flow and easier to build and keep momentum compared to double trouble. Although its not very black anymore with all the felling!

• Advertisement

Yeah I know it's a coilte forest and is planted for felling. But I don't know why they don't leave a border of trees along the tracks for the bikers.

Going there today for the first time, hopefully the winds not too strong on the exposed parts.

Just back from ballinastoe, great experience for a complete beginner, absolutely loved it. I watched this video last night and followed the exact route so did all the main tracks. Very helpful video for anyone who's never done ballinastoe.

Coming down expressway with the rain absolutely pelting down was an exhilarating experience!

The bike was fine but a touch too big for me. It will do until I get the fitness levels up and I'll upgrade.

50247689061_c29240b1ee_c.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

100% going to do this asap. whenever kildare comes out of lockdown that is.
    Any entrance or car park cost lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Dcully wrote: »
    100% going to do this asap. whenever kildare comes out of lockdown that is.
    Any entrance or car park cost lads?

No charge for parking at Ballinastoe. There's a large car park at the entrance, and an overflow through the gate and up to the right. Also a cafe at the start/finish where you can get coffee, chocolate bar and a bike wash for €5. Coillte loop is great - nice and flowy and nothing too hairy. Climb at the start is tough, but you get nearly all the climbing done early and can enjoy the descent.

Toughest part I found is the climb after expressway back up to do "double trouble". Gates or Cafe haven't been open all week, appears to be only weekends??

Toughest part I found is the climb after expressway back up to do "double trouble". Gates or Cafe haven't been open all week, appears to be only weekends??

Yeah, that one can be tough alright, but the more you get out and as the fitness builds the climbs become easier.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My motto for when i was road cycling "climbing doesnt get easier you just climb faster" :P

Rear tyre on the used bike i picked up is fairly worn and I was losing some grip on the climbs. It's 27.5 2.2. Any benefit in going to 2.5 on both tyres or should I stick to 2 2?

Depnding on profile and grip pattern it would be more grippy on the slippy stuff but more rolling resistance on the hard pack stuff.

Rear tyre on the used bike i picked up is fairly worn and I was losing some grip on the climbs. It's 27.5 2.2. Any benefit in going to 2.5 on both tyres or should I stick to 2 2?

You want to check how much additional clearance there is on the frame before upgrading to a tire that might not fit. 2.5s are for boost axle lengths. Otherwise you might want to go for a 2.35.
    Climbs are not exactly where you want to be worrying about grip on a tire. If its really worn you might end up spinning it out but it may be your body position. Ballinastoe isn't what I'd call a steep climb but maybe try shifting your weight forward a small amount.
    The bigger the knobs on the tire the more grip but slower rolling and heavier it is. You got that boardman right? Those tires should be pretty decent for climbing and don't look too bad in the pictures (wear wise). That said they will suffer on natural trails that are a bit steeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Are you sure the tyre is worn i.e has cuts, deformed knobs, some cracking on sidewall and lose threading etc.

A common set up is wider front in your case 2.4/2.35, as you need more grip in the front because thats taking obstacles etc first and the minority of your body weight is on it and narrower back 2.2 for a faster roller.

Are yous sure its not your climbing position. Climbing on a mtb is a fine balemce between weight forward and back not to for forward that your back wheels slipping not to far back that your accidentally wheelie-ing.

The pictures that buyer had up were old and not the actual condition of the bike. The rear tyre is worn with the central knobs worn a good bit. Not critically worn, but enough to affect grip climbing damp trails. Technique is certainly possibly an issue too, since I'm only starting out.

I was just wondering would wider tyres be a benefit or just stick to what's on.

The pictures that buyer had up were old and not the actual condition of the bike. The rear tyre is worn with the central knobs worn a good bit. Not critically worn, but enough to affect grip climbing damp trails. Technique is certainly possibly an issue too, since I'm only starting out.

Very dependant on where you're riding? Deep mud and slop a maxxis shorty up front is great but it's unnecessary hardship particularly when riding up hill if you're only hitting ticknock etc. I run a maxxis minion DHF front and rear most of the year I think they're a 2.3" and find them great for pretty much everything.

The rear will tend to drift either way so just a matter of getting used to it. Also no tyre has a grip worth a damn on wet roots.

Wider tyres give more grip on wet gritty stuff as they have a larger footprint. Even in dry conditions the more girp you get makes you bike feel more connected to the trails, which is definetly helpful for a begginer.

Downside to wider tyres is the added weight and rolling resistance which will slow you down up climbs.

On wet and smooth stuff i.e rocks and roote no tyre width or knob depth is going to give you grip. All you can do is get a stickier tyre, with more material but that has the weight and rolling resistance penalty.

If your tyres are worn even xc tyres with tiny knobs are going to give better grip.

Personally i use nobby nics and maxxis forecasters as i find they have the right balance of weight and grip for me.

Good video explaining everything on tyres
    https://youtu.be/5RH8ISyPo9E

One more thing is that you only really tun tyres based on your rim width as if a tyres to wide for your im it looses shape and doesnt perfom optimally

Cheers Tony.

Lads what do you think of this? Already want to upgrade as the boardman is too big.

http://www.adverts.ie/21243802

Lads what do you think of this? Already want to upgrade as the boardman is too big.

http://www.adverts.ie/21243802

Looks like a nice bike but he's asking to much for it. I'd have said around €1k would be a good asking and expect lower offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Looks like a nice bike but he's asking to much for it. I'd have said around €1k would be a good asking and expect lower offers.

Agree normally I'd say it's overpriced but things are a bit mad for this kind of stuff atm

• Advertisement

Did ticknock today lads for the first time. Just stuck to the traditional red route but loved it. Skyline (metro?) and Blazin saddles (especially towards the end) were class.

Anyway, I'm getting faster and technique is improving, especially on the fast sweeping bends. Still not comfortable enough for the doubles though, i keep bottling it. But I also think the larger bike frame puts me off too. Any tips on the doubles? Just go for it I guess and build up speed?

Edit: I'm also finding with the rock gardens, if going fast, the bouncing around has my feet lifting off the peddles a lot so I end up losing some control. I'm reluctant to go clipless just yet but would that improve this?

Advertisement