Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Paying for firearm with plastic

  • 15-07-2020 9:10am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭ fishead
    Registered User


    just went to give a 500 euro deposit on a new 2200euro firearm and the dealer told me he did not accept laser card because it was illegal to pay for a firearm with a plastic. I doubted him. Anyone ever heard of this


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭ .243
    Registered User


    fishead wrote: »
    just went to give a 500 euro deposit on a new 2200euro firearm and the dealer told me he did not accept laser card because it was illegal to pay for a firearm with a plastic. I doubted him. Anyone ever heard of this
    The biggest load of warm and brown to come out of the back of a cow,either he hasn’t a card machine or it’s a cash deal along the line


  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭ fishead
    Registered User


    :)My feelings exactly. I walked and took my plastic with me


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ lefthooker
    Registered User


    fishead wrote: »
    just went to give a 500 euro deposit on a new 2200euro firearm and the dealer told me he did not accept laser card because it was illegal to pay for a firearm with a plastic. I doubted him. Anyone ever heard of this

    I could hazard a guess at who it was.

    I once travelled 1.5 hours to collect 6-700 euro of gear from an RFD. It was only when I went to pay that he said he only takes cash so had to skip into the nearest town to find an ATM. Between the cash fiasco and his lukewarm attitude he definitely wasn’t a pleasure to deal with.

    The emphasis is on once.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭ Feisar
    Registered User


    I've heard it all now!

    First they came for the socialists...



  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ solarwinds
    Registered User


    I would imagine he is probably not a fan of Revenue either.
    What a load of rubbish in these times to limit your business to cash only is certain doom, with the world norm now becoming bank transfers and cashless.
    I have yet to go to a dealer who refused funds no matter what the form, money is money unless your bank is under the mattress.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭ fishead
    Registered User


    Yes I was told I could skip into the nearest town. Instead I drove my two hour journey home


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭ Grizzly 45
    Registered User


    As the lads in the bedsheets in ancient Rome used to say in the Senate "Taurus Excretum".:) from that dealer.

    Confucius say."He who says one man cannot change World. Never has eaten bat soup in Wuhan!"



  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭ cookimonster
    Moderator


    ..... and all the while there are other RFD"s offering finance


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭ garrettod
    Registered User


    Any reason why this dealer / these dealers can't be named here ?

    I think it would help everyone to know in advance what they'll be faced with, if they try to do business with these people. It may save a lot of unnecessary journeys, or embarrassing conversations.

    I like using my credit card to pay for goods and services, particularly expensive items - safer to carry a card, then a bundle of cash, while there's also a level of purchase protection / insurance cover provided by most card issuers.

    Thanks,

    G.



  • Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭ Effects
    Registered User


    fishead wrote: »
    dealer told me he did not accept laser card

    Nobody accepts Laser Cards surely? They were discontinued in 2014.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,084 ✭✭✭✭ ED E
    Registered User


    Illegal no, definitely not.


    Is it possible his merchant service provider has a T&C prohibiting the purchase of arms with their terminals? Seems unlikely but not totally implausible.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭ LIFFY FISHING
    Registered User


    ED E wrote: »
    Illegal no, definitely not.


    Is it possible his merchant service provider has a T&C prohibiting the purchase of arms with their terminals? Seems unlikely but not totally implausible.

    Yep agree, it is not illegal.
    However I do know for a fact that some service providers do forbid the RFD's they provide services to from taking payments over the phone for firearms / ammo or related products, this does not stop a customer from using " plastic" while present in the shop or premises .
    One can also do an electronic payment if you do want to order or purchase something in the event that the RFD is not permitted to take a card payment over the phone.


  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ Sika98k
    Registered User


    Yep agree, it is not illegal.
    However I do know for a fact that some service providers do forbid the RFD's they provide services to from taking payments over the phone for firearms / ammo or related products, this does not stop a customer from using " plastic" while present in the shop or premises .
    One can also do an electronic payment if you do want to order or purchase something in the event that the RFD is not permitted to take a card payment over the phone.

    Frankly I think that is Bo##&+€S. How exactly does a “service provider” differentiate between sales ? Related products ? Gun oil, cleaning kit, snap caps, where do you draw the line ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭ BattleCorp
    Registered User


    ED E wrote: »
    Illegal no, definitely not.


    Is it possible his merchant service provider has a T&C prohibiting the purchase of arms with their terminals? Seems unlikely but not totally implausible.

    If that's the case and you are a gun dealer, find a new service provider.

    I've paid for plenty of stuff, guns included, with my debit card.


  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ solarwinds
    Registered User


    But sure the provider would have no idea if it was a €1000 gun or a €1000 of dog food.


  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ jb88
    Registered User


    Had a gundealer take paypal off me a couple of weeks ago, he didn't have a card machine and I wasn't driving 15 miles to get the cash.

    If they are willing to do business any decent RFD would take anything.


    They have to move with the times.. no card machine ok, loads of other ways


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ juice1304
    Registered User


    jb88 wrote: »
    Had a gundealer take paypal off me a couple of weeks ago, he didn't have a card machine and I wasn't driving 15 miles to get the cash.

    If they are willing to do business any decent RFD would take anything.


    They have to move with the times.. no card machine ok, loads of other ways[/QUOTE
    That was pertty silly of him, if they suspect his bisuness has anything to do with firearms they will suspend his account and hold any money he has on it. Basically never giving it back. I know somone who had $30,000 taken from them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭ BattleCorp
    Registered User


    juice1304 wrote: »
    if they suspect his bisuness has anything to do with firearms they will suspend his account and hold any money he has on it. Basically never giving it back. I know somone who had $30,000 taken from them.

    Surely there are providers who don't have terms and conditions preventing their customers from being involved in the firearms trade?

    Kind of like Ryanair won't let you take guns on the plane but Aer Lingus will.

    How do Visa and Mastercard work in the States? Surely they take payment for firearms stuff? I've paid for stuff last October in California (in Walmart) with my credit card.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ juice1304
    Registered User


    BattleCorp wrote: »
    Surely there are providers who don't have terms and conditions preventing their customers from being involved in the firearms trade?

    Kind of like Ryanair won't let you take guns on the plane but Aer Lingus will.

    How do Visa and Mastercard work in the States? Surely they take payment for firearms stuff? I've paid for stuff last October in California (in Walmart) with my credit card.

    The vast majority of banks and providers of things like paypal etc ban anything to do with firearms in their trems and conditions. They are private companies so they can have whatever terms they like. It has been an initiative from the left to cripple firearms-related businesses.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭ BattleCorp
    Registered User


    juice1304 wrote: »
    The vast majority of banks and providers of things like paypal etc ban anything to do with firearms in their trems and conditions. They are private companies so they can have whatever terms they like. It has been an initiative from the left to cripple firearms-related businesses.

    Why did Walmart take my plastic for firearms related stuff so?

    I understand that many private companies want nothing to do with firearms but surely there's some providers who would be happy to capture that market?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭ meathstevie
    Registered User


    I still have to go into a gun dealers where I couldn’t pay with card or cash. The only time I was ever restricted to cash only was during a power outage when I was in a well known shop in Meath buying a slab of cartridges.

    To the best of my knowledge there isn’t a single one of the main players in the Irish payment services market that has a problem with lawful business being conducted through their systems.

    Sure what’s next ? Payment services providers who don’t permit paying for fuel or car maintenance services ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭ Pkiernan
    Registered User


    I'd imagine its the commission the merchant has to pay to the credit card company


  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭ Uinseann_16
    Registered User


    Sum up specifically bar sales of firearms and ammunition through their service:(
    Revolut bars all businesses that engage in "weapons" sales

    An interesting thread i cant find one company that supports it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ pearcider
    Registered User


    Cash is king.


  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭ Uinseann_16
    Registered User


    pearcider wrote: »
    Cash is king.

    It is but with all thats going on i find myself not carrying cash i use google pay on my phone or Revolut, Because most places dont want to see cash right now contactless is the way its going
    Its also very useful if i forget my wallet but have my phone i can get cash from a ATM with a single use code or just tap at a terminal


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭ Feisar
    Registered User


    Sum up specifically bar sales of firearms and ammunition through their service:(
    Revolut bars all businesses that engage in "weapons" sales

    An interesting thread i cant find one company that supports it?

    It's a good job we don't have weapons so!

    First they came for the socialists...



  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭ meathstevie
    Registered User


    Sum up specifically bar sales of firearms and ammunition through their service:(
    Revolut bars all businesses that engage in "weapons" sales

    An interesting thread i cant find one company that supports it?

    Hardly the mainstream payment services providers most bricks and mortar retailers are using. And how do they know what the product being sold is anyway.

    A €300 payment in a shop that among other things sells firearms could be a pair of wellies and a jacket or a secondhand .22lr rifle.


  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭ Uinseann_16
    Registered User


    Feisar wrote: »
    It's a good job we don't have weapons so!

    You wanna bet they wouldn't freeze your account?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭ Feisar
    Registered User


    You wanna bet they wouldn't freeze your account?

    Oh not a chance!

    First they came for the socialists...



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ jb88
    Registered User


    juice1304 wrote: »
    jb88 wrote: »
    Had a gundealer take paypal off me a couple of weeks ago, he didn't have a card machine and I wasn't driving 15 miles to get the cash.

    If they are willing to do business any decent RFD would take anything.


    They have to move with the times.. no card machine ok, loads of other ways[/QUOTE
    That was pertty silly of him, if they suspect his bisuness has anything to do with firearms they will suspend his account and hold any money he has on it. Basically never giving it back. I know somone who had $30,000 taken from them.

    Maybe its a good thing that people use their heads when they are purchasing stuff, its not like you need to tell paypal what you are paying for and I guarantee the dealer isn't in my case.

    I bought two slings, two ammo holders and a bayonet via Paypal in the last week, with no problem whatsoever. In fact I have paid for a firearm via paypal in the last two months as well.

    Paypal taking $30,000 is theft and needs to be dealt with via the respective law enforcement group and the courts


Advertisement