Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Interview - Graphic Design Task Scam???

  • 14-07-2020 3:10pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ AmyM91


    Recently I applied for a Senior Role with a well known Irish beauty brand. I had a phone screener call and then I was emailed to say, 'Congrats you're through to the 2nd round'.

    Next step - A design task.
    If you get through this, then the final round will be an interview. There was A LOT to do in the design task (in a work situation, definitely maybe 3 days to a full weeks work) but you were given 48 hours.

    I submitted the design task (All 3 parts) on a Friday morning. I was told I would hear back early the following week.

    I hadn't heard anything by the following Friday so I followed up. I was told they were sorry and had been on annual leave and would get back early the following week. I heard nothing and left it 2 weeks. I followed up today and my email address has been blocked!

    I also found out the same process has happened to another friend who is a graphic designer who applied for the same role a 2/3 weeks before me.

    Do you think the task is a scam to get ideas for new product packaging/campaigns?

    I also seen in the last week, they are now looking for a Junior Designer.


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭ OMM 0000


    Well, it's either as you say (a scam to get ideas) or a very difficult interview process.

    Some companies just don't know how to interview people, so it could just be crappy management.

    Either way, it's a red flag...


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble


    Yes. Was a very common scam in the last recession. We'll see more of it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ AlohaLights


    AmyM91 wrote: »
    Recently I applied for a Senior Role with a well known Irish beauty brand. I had a phone screener call and then I was emailed to say, 'Congrats you're through to the 2nd round'.

    Next step - A design task.
    If you get through this, then the final round will be an interview. There was A LOT to do in the design task (in a work situation, definitely maybe 3 days to a full weeks work) but you were given 48 hours.

    I submitted the design task (All 3 parts) on a Friday morning. I was told I would hear back early the following week.

    I hadn't heard anything by the following Friday so I followed up. I was told they were sorry and had been on annual leave and would get back early the following week. I heard nothing and left it 2 weeks. I followed up today and my email address has been blocked!

    I also found out the same process has happened to another friend who is a graphic designer who applied for the same role a 2/3 weeks before me.

    Do you think the task is a scam to get ideas for new product packaging/campaigns?

    I also seen in the last week, they are now looking for a Junior Designer.

    Do you have a direct phone number for the business HR/Recruiter?

    I would be calling and asking for feedback and why your email was blocked. I would also be letting them know you're aware of another individual they've done this to.

    Companies shouldn't be getting away with this. If you had done a 2 day trial in a bar, you'd be demanding your pay.

    I would also name and shame, and blast them on all social media and Glassdoor etc., it's amazing what people think they can get away it.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jim2007


    AmyM91 wrote: »

    Next step - A design task.
    If you get through this, then the final round will be an interview. There was A LOT to do in the design task (in a work situation, definitely maybe 3 days to a full weeks work) but you were given 48 hours.

    I submitted the design task (All 3 parts) on a Friday morning. I was told I would hear back early the following week.

    It is not unusual to be asked to do some kind of task. However when you submit something like that, you should pepper copyright notices and warning that there will be legal actions should any of your work or ideas be used without a financial agreement being in place.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ AmyM91


    Do you have a direct phone number for the business HR/Recruiter?

    I would be calling and asking for feedback and why your email was blocked. I would also be letting them know you're aware of another individual they've done this to.

    Companies shouldn't be getting away with this. If you had done a 2 day trial in a bar, you'd be demanding your pay.

    I would also name and shame, and blast them on all social media and Glassdoor etc., it's amazing what people think they can get away it.

    I applied to the company directly - so I should have the phone number somewhere in my recent calls. Just never seen anything like this.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ AmyM91


    Jim2007 wrote: »
    It is not unusual to be asked to do some kind of task. However when you submit something like that, you should pepper copyright notices and warning that there will be legal actions should any of your work or ideas be used without a financial agreement being in place.

    Definitely will in future. Thanks for the advice.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ AmyM91


    OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Well, it's either as you say (a scam to get ideas) or a very difficult interview process.

    Some companies just don't know how to interview people, so it could just be crappy management.

    Either way, it's a red flag...


    Yeah I completely agree - normally even the crappy management get back in touch.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    Very common. They usually want the stuff in a format they can scan. I actually saw my designs in print months after one interview.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ AmyM91


    I'm also just wondering how many people have been asked to do the same task, as it should be a final round process. It seems like there could be a large number of people asked to do that task and all be in the same situation.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ kenmm


    Could be a scam, could also be (as someone else said) they are really bad at interviewing.

    Design and Dev companies often have grandiose ideas about their interview process, asking for all sorts of time consuming tasks.

    The Googles and Facebooks can get away with it because demand to work in these places is high. 2 days work for some random 2 bit bally-o'toole-Irish company.. forget it


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ AmyM91


    Hi All,
    Just an update. I have no other contact for the company apart from their customer service email.

    I have just emailed them, stating the facts - incase they were unaware of the situation or thought no-one would would call them out on it.

    Will let you know if I get a response.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ AmyM91


    Dear Amy,

    Please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to you. Thank you for you for taking the time in our interview for our senior graphic designer role and for your second round design task, we were very impressed with your design.

    We regret to inform you, however, that you have not been successful, and we cannot give your application further consideration at the present time.

    We would like to thank you for your time and interest in working with ****. We wish you all the best in your future career.

    With your approval we will hold your cv on file if a suitable position arises in the future.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ AmyM91


    Another update....

    I responded back to the mail above yesterday (this was a person I had never been in contact with):
    Hi ******,

    Thank you for following up and informing me of the decision.

    I'm disappointed to hear I have not been selected for the role. I’m always looking for ways to improve myself in my career.
    Was there a piece of experience that you felt was lacking, or a skill I could have portrayed better?

    Any feedback you can share would be great.

    Thanks for your time,
    Amy


    I got a response today:
    Hi Amy,
    You came in very close actually and your work was excellent, we were very impressed. It’s just unfortunate that there is only one position.

    Kind regards,

    ******
    Finance


    Why is the finance dept handing the interview process?


    What a weird situation - will not be applying to this company again.


  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭ capefear


    can they use your work now? Seems like an easy way to get free design ideas.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble


    AmyM91 wrote: »


    Why is the finance dept handing the interview process?


    What a weird situation - will not be applying to this company again.

    In smaller companies, it's very common for Finance to include responsibility for Human Resources.

    HR is, essentially, about efficient allocation of resources.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 Postgrad10


    Sounds very crafty. I definitely think you should put a watermark/ disclaimer on any future work. Had a relative who was asked to do similar for a role she was brought in for a face to face interview a few years back. After interviewer she sent in a substantive document and then never heard back.
    She even met the HR chancer by chance at the airport and he proceeded to run and hide from her. Some people have no ethics.


  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭ Shakey_jake


    People are sh*t

    what an absolute pack of pr**ks


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jim2007


    AmyM91 wrote: »
    Another update....

    I responded back to the mail above yesterday (this was a person I had never been in contact with):
    Hi ******,

    Thank you for following up and informing me of the decision.

    I'm disappointed to hear I have not been selected for the role. I’m always looking for ways to improve myself in my career.
    Was there a piece of experience that you felt was lacking, or a skill I could have portrayed better?

    Any feedback you can share would be great.

    Thanks for your time,
    Amy


    I got a response today:
    Hi Amy,
    You came in very close actually and your work was excellent, we were very impressed. It’s just unfortunate that there is only one position.

    Kind regards,

    ******
    Finance


    Why is the finance dept handing the interview process?


    What a weird situation - will not be applying to this company again.

    Well it were me I would respond:
    Hi Amy,

    Thank you for your feedback. As I have not been successful on this occasion, I wish to point out that I now require you to return my work to me and confirm that you have not kept a copy.

    Furthermore, I would point out that I retains full copyright on all work I have submitted to you and you don't have my permission to use that work in any form including derivative works.

    A failure to respect my copyright, will be prosecuted to the full extend of the law, including a cease and desist request to any of your clients who may avail of services based on this work.

    I look forward to receiving my original works and you confirmation within the next 7 days.

    Best Regards,


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭ nelly17


    Mail a copy of the work to yourself by registered mail - leave it unopened and if your work shows up out in the wild take them to the cleaners


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ AmyM91


    Hi Jim,
    Thanks, that is a great idea!


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    Never handover anything.
    Never let it out of your sight. They copy/photograph it.


    If it's a new client insist on staged payment.

    The trick to being successful with design work is not getting work or doing it. It's getting paid for it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 Postgrad10


    Name of the company is on the email. We should try a few fake applications to see what we’re asked for !!


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ AmyM91


    Sorry thought I had kept that out. The design task I was given was the same as another person I know who applied for the role 3/4 weeks before.

    So unsure - how much they change it up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ AmyM91


    Jim2007 wrote: »
    Well it were me I would respond:

    Hi Jim,
    Took your advice. I was emailed back within 2 mins.
    This was the response:

    'I can confirm that we would never use any material submitted to us.'


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 Postgrad10


    I doubt those roles even exist so don’t worry yourself. Keep your head up and keep applying :) and register your work:)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 Postgrad10


    AmyM91 wrote: »
    Hi Jim,
    Took your advice. I was emailed back within 2 mins.
    This was the response:

    'I can confirm that we would never use any material submitted to us.'

    Not now they won’t now you’ve said that . But they’ll use someone else’s instead who doesn’t know any different.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ AmyM91


    Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Not now they won’t now you’ve said that . But they’ll use someone else’s instead who doesn’t know any different.

    Yeah see thats the issue - I have no idea how many people they asked to do the design task?


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ AmyM91


    Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I doubt those roles even exist so don’t worry yourself. Keep your head up and keep applying :) and register your work:)

    Most submissions are via email - so just watermark and put notices at the bottom of the page. Is that the best way?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 Postgrad10


    AmyM91 wrote: »
    Most submissions are via email - so just watermark and put notices at the bottom of the page. Is that the best way?

    Perfect and the registered letter idea mentioned above.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Not now they won’t now you’ve said that . But they’ll use someone else’s instead who doesn’t know any different.

    They might not. I wouldn't assume they are.

    But if they don't want any confusion, they should be clearer about it.


Advertisement