Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleague defrauded in work – who pays?

Options
  • 13-07-2020 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

I work in your average convenience store. Minimum wage, high staff turnover, sketchy interpretations of employment law etc etc.

Anyway, one of my colleagues fell victim to a change scam. For anyone unfamiliar, basically someone comes in, asks to get fifties changed into tens and twenties or similar, they change what they want a couple of times or get you to do something else (and hurry you) and before you know it they’ve swapped the piles and your till is €100 down.

Now, my colleague said that my manager says that he has to pay the €100 lost, unless the culprit is caught (fat chance).

Our contracts allow for money to be taken off our wages in the event of till shortages, but this was a deliberate criminal act of fraud. I’d put it in the same realm as someone leaning over and taking the till and running out their door themselves. To me, till shortages are giving someone back two twenties instead of one or something.

Anyway, is having him cough up the €100 legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is it legal ? Yes, it was in the contract that employees agreed to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Qrt wrote: »
    I
    Our contracts allow for money to be taken off our wages in the event of till shortages, but this was a deliberate criminal act of fraud. I’d put it in the same realm as someone leaning over and taking the till and running out their door themselves. To me, till shortages are giving someone back two twenties instead of one or something.

Being in charge of the till is a responsible job and part of it is making sure that nobody steal the company's money. If you are going to work in retail, then ensuing that the public does not steal from your employer is part and parcel of the deal.

It is as a very hard lesson to have to learn, but that said, I would expect that you would have been advised as to the typical types of scams going on as part of your training... if not then perhaps there is a possibility of some room for negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

This is appalling treatment of staff.
    Are you not in a union?
    If not would you not think of joining one then in turn getting the rest of the staff to join.
    This would put you all in a better postilion when dealing with your employer and help you get better work conditions and pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

I work in your average convenience store. Minimum wage, high staff turnover, sketchy interpretations of employment law etc etc.

Anyway, one of my colleagues fell victim to a change scam. For anyone unfamiliar, basically someone comes in, asks to get fifties changed into tens and twenties or similar, they change what they want a couple of times or get you to do something else (and hurry you) and before you know it they’ve swapped the piles and your till is €100 down.

Now, my colleague said that my manager says that he has to pay the €100 lost, unless the culprit is caught (fat chance).

Anyway, is having him cough up the €100 legal?

Personally I would make it very difficult for them if they ask me to cough up. I think something like a verbal/written warning should suffice.

Given tho bold text id leave anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Allinall

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Being in charge of the till is a responsible job and part of it is making sure that nobody steal the company's money. If you are going to work in retail, then ensuing that the public does not steal from your employer is part and parcel of the deal.

It is as a very hard lesson to have to learn, but that said, I would expect that you would have been advised as to the typical types of scams going on as part of your training... if not then perhaps there is a possibility of some room for negotiation.

IMO it's not that straightforward.

As an exaggerated example, if someone came into the shop with a swan-off shotgun and robbed the till, the shop assistant would not be expected to cough up.

I wonder was there any training given in the area of possible scams?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Allinall wrote: »

As an exaggerated example, if someone came into the shop with a swan-off shotgun and robbed the till, the shop assistant would not be expected to cough up.

I wonder was there any training given in the area of possible scams?

theres a big difference between being held at gunpoint and an employee not doing their due dilligence and checking notes recived

i think its hars that they have to pay, a warning should suffice

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Allinall wrote: »

It is not the same thing at all, you cannot prevent an armed robbery and so you are not required to carry the terms of your contract.

But there is noting stopping you from completing the terms of your contact under normal situations and your are expected to act in a diligent manner.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It is not the same thing at all, you cannot prevent an armed robbery and so you are not required to carry the terms of your contract.

But there is noting stopping you from completing the terms of your contact under normal situations and your are expected to act in a diligent manner.

It’s literally their job to control the money in and out of the till. It’s a major failure on behalf of an employee to let this happen.

skinny90 wrote: »
    Personally I would make it very difficult for them if they ask me to cough up. I think something like a verbal/written warning should suffice.

Given tho bold text id leave anyways

When it’s written into their contract like that the company can deduct it from wages before paying them.

At least by making an arrangement it could be strung out over weeks to minimise the impact on the employee.

I think this is an example of why people should look carefully at their contracts and understand what is in it. There’s no use agreeing to a contract stipulation, signing it and then not being happy when it’s applied.

Personally I’d advise people to avoid retail jobs with this stipulation. If more people did that then it would be less attractive for employers to include it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s literally their job to control the money in and out of the till. It’s a major failure on behalf of an employee to let this happen.

I think that's very unfair. I worked years ago in retail and had something similar happen to me. The local Gards were called down, they looked at the CCTV, and asked me for a statement. If my employer had turned around to me and said that €100 was coming out of my wages, that would have been close to a week's income for me at the time. That's not a big cost for a shop to absorb but it is massive to the minimum wage slave.

It is not up to the employee to pay for malicious acts of "customers"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭KildareP

Unfortunately if it's covered in the contract, it's covered.

If he wanted to push it he could try and argue lack of policy or lack of training.

For example, when I worked for a fairly large retailer several years back, the policy was not to break down or change notes at all. Both because of this scam and a similar where they give you large counterfeit denominations to be changed into smaller, genuine notes.

We were also told where there was any dispute over amounts, e.g. you give change of a €10 but the customer says they gave you €20, you drop the till there and then and see if you're up or not. The prospect of having to wait several minutes while you did so would always put the chancers off.

I think that's very unfair. I worked years ago in retail and had something similar happen to me. The local Gards were called down, they looked at the CCTV, and asked me for a statement. If my employer had turned around to me and said that €100 was coming out of my wages, that would have been close to a week's income for me at the time. That's not a big cost for a shop to absorb but it is massive to the minimum wage slave.

It is not up to the employee to pay for malicious acts of "customers"

Literally if it’s in the employee contract it is up to them to cover it.

How can people not understand this ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

€100 is a lot of money to lose in a change scam, yes it’s tough on your colleague but they effectively give away the money to someone else.

If they are not made to repay the money what’s to stop another colleague saying the same thing happened to him and pocketing the change !

There are plenty of convenience shops out there just getting by and €100 out of the owners pocket could hurt them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Shelflife wrote: »
    €100 is a lot of money to lose in a change scam, yes it’s tough on your colleague but they effectively give away the money to someone else.

If they are not made to repay the money what’s to stop another colleague saying the same thing happened to him and pocketing the change !

There are plenty of convenience shops out there just getting by and €100 out of the owners pocket could hurt them as well.
    While it's a hard lesson to learn, I agree with the above.
    I'm sure your friend is loyal and honest but this scenario could be abused by a dodgy emoloyee to get their hands on easy cash.
    It's hard to know where to draw the line in terms of liability but an employer needs to protect themselves also.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

If it were counterfeit money then I would have more sympathy but in this situation, I'd imagine that your employer is within his rights to withhold the difference from his wages. Fairly c*nty, but what can you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

mick087 wrote: »

This is appalling treatment of staff.

No it isn't! Why on earth should the employer take the hit for an employee's incompetence?

Of course many Trade Union members appear to believe that - for employers - money grows on trees. It's a core belief in the Pearse Doherty School of Economics.

No it isn't! Why on earth should the employer take the hit for an employee's incompetence?

Of course many Trade Union members appear to believe that - for employers - money grows on trees. It's the Pearse Dohertty School of Economics.

Rolls eyes... Must you make everything political? Give that chip on your shoulder a rest old boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,264 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Shelflife wrote: »

Exactly, anything else is getting paid for no accountability.

Your colleague fell asleep at the wheel and now claims to be a victim.
    I ran a cafe and till shortages were a big problem until I installed a big CCTV camera over the till, put it in their contract that the CCTV was there and that it was their problem if the till was short.

I had a complete change of staff and never had problems with the new staff.

The camera was never recording, just the red blinking light.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Personal responsibility , you fxxk up you take the hit

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

How did your friend get caught for €100? If the scammer gave you 2x€50 asking for change and he gave him change, then the scammer changed his mind and hurried your friend to which your friend gave him back the €100 and took nothing in return? Seems silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Rolls eyes... Must you make everything political?

Because if I don't, then SF's "money grows on trees" nonsense will continue to spead and, who knows, perhaps some day soon, even someone as intelligent as you think you are may come to believe that it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Because if I don't, then SF's "money grows on trees" nonsense will continue to spead and, who knows, perhaps some day soon, even someone as intelligent as you think you are may come to believe that it's true.

Which party now in government got scammed by the banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

Thanks for the replies, it’s a fairly crap situation for him, and it’s one I’d fight tooth and nail if it were me, but it’s his battle so I’m gonna steer clear of too much involvement. I re-read my contract and it says counterfeit notes will be treated as cash short and deducted from wages but nothing else so I guess there’s a bit of an argument to be had there.

The conditions in the shop are far from ideal but I think most small convenience stores are like this. My first shop job was with a large chain with stringent fraud prevention training (which is why I’m so cautious with my till) but we haven’t been shown anything more than an dodgy fifty in this place.

I would join a union but I’m only full time for the next month or two and hopefully a couple of hours a week after that, actually ideally I’d be out of the place but I have enjoyed having a job during the height of the pandemic.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    If it were counterfeit money then I would have more sympathy but in this situation, I'd imagine that your employer is within his rights to withhold the difference from his wages. Fairly c*nty, but what can you do.

Only if it’s specifically mentioned in the contract. If it’s not stipulated in the contract then they cannot take the money.

_Brian wrote: »
    Only if it’s specifically mentioned in the contract. If it’s not stipulated in the contract then they cannot take the money.

Maybe read the OP before posting? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Thanks for the replies, it’s a fairly crap situation for him, and it’s one I’d fight tooth and nail if it were me, but it’s his battle so I’m gonna steer clear of too much involvement. I re-read my contract and it says counterfeit notes will be treated as cash short and deducted from wages but nothing else so I guess there’s a bit of an argument to be had there.

The conditions in the shop are far from ideal but I think most small convenience stores are like this. My first shop job was with a large chain with stringent fraud prevention training (which is why I’m so cautious with my till) but we haven’t been shown anything more than an dodgy fifty in this place.

I would join a union but I’m only full time for the next month or two and hopefully a couple of hours a week after that, actually ideally I’d be out of the place but I have enjoyed having a job during the height of the pandemic.

How many employees are there?
    Any chance he could do small whip around even if it just totalled €50 at least it would help him/her a bit.
    It's not easy really for both employer and the employee, will make all more aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭impega1

In short regardless, if employee does not agree to repaying the money the employer has no legal right to make any deduction from their salary.

The only deductions which an employer can deduct from a staff members salary are statutory deductions (PAYE,PRSI,USC and LPT)
    These are deductions advised by Revenue and Employer is obliged to deduct these amounts.

All other deductions must have the employees consent. Otherwise it is deemed withholding salary and would have consequences at WRC and other legal routes.

The flip side, employee can refuse to repay and employer terminates the employment. However as there is a contract in place they must give adequate notice, have applied all policies as regards discipline, performance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

impega1 wrote: »
    In short regardless, if employee does not agree to repaying the money the employer has no legal right to make any deduction from their salary.

The only deductions which an employer can deduct from a staff members salary are statutory deductions (PAYE,PRSI,USC and LPT)
    These are deductions advised by Revenue and Employer is obliged to deduct these amounts.

All other deductions must have the employees consent. Otherwise it is deemed withholding salary and would have consequences at WRC and other legal routes.

The flip side, employee can refuse to repay and employer terminates the employment. However as there is a contract in place they must give adequate notice, have applied all policies as regards discipline, performance etc.

I don’t think that last part is a runner I’m afraid, he (and myself too for a tad longer) are on the six month probation. Fairly sure he’d be told where to go.

• Advertisement

impega1 wrote: »

The employee agreed to this by signing a contract with the explicit provision that the employer could recover money short on the till from the employee.

Advertisement