Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best EV under 30k

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

if you are spending < 30k then it will probably be limited to a leaf40 ,ioniq 28, egolf or i3.
    If you need more than 4 seats the i3 is out
    If it was me I would go between the lead and the ioniq (given very limited availability of egolf.

If I was doing mostly local non motorway driving and doing the vast majority of my driving without needing public chargers I would consider leaf
    If I was doing longer distances, regular motorway speeds and relying on fast chargers I would go for the Ioniq (better access to chargers, faster charging, better battery mgt at speed, similar rage at high speed)

In your use case I would just suggest taking both for a drive and seeing which you prefer to drive as both cars should met your criteria.

If you can get your hands on an imported Ioniq premium SE it has better spec than the standard irish model (which is also well spec'ed)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

if you are spending < 30k then it will probably be limited to a leaf40 ,ioniq 28, egolf or i3.
    If you need more than 4 seats the i3 is out
    If it was me I would go between the lead and the ioniq (given very limited availability of egolf.

If I was doing mostly local non motorway driving and doing the vast majority of my driving without needing public chargers I would consider leaf
    If I was doing longer distances, regular motorway speeds and relying on fast chargers I would go for the Ioniq (better access to chargers, faster charging, better battery mgt at speed, similar rage at high speed)

In your use case I would just suggest taking both for a drive and seeing which you prefer to drive as both cars should met your criteria.

If you can get your hands on an imported Ioniq premium SE it has better spec than the standard irish model (which is also well spec'ed)

I don't want to go for anything below 50 KWh range. The base model on Zoe 50 is 27k euro so I might go for it. Seems to have good features and decent space for camping trips (2-3 people) :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I don't want to go for anything below 50 KWh range. The base model on Zoe 50 is 27k euro so I might go for it. Seems to have good features and decent space for camping trips (2-3 people) :)

50kWh battery all depends on how efficient the car is. Bjorn did an ioniq vs peugeot race (granted the peugeot acted up a bit during it) and they were pretty evenly matched. The Peugeots big battery, but inefficiency at higher speeds balanced out with the ioniqs smaller battery but higher efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Book a test drive in the Zoe , best way for you to get a feel for the size / space ,
    ( I've no idea how test drives work at the moment )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Book a test drive in the Zoe , best way for you to get a feel for the size / space ,
    ( I've no idea how test drives work at the moment )

I actually did one on leaf yesterday. Nothing's changed in terms of procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

you are of course correct, totally forgot about the Zeo 50 base being so inexpensive. I've never heard a Zeo owner complain about a Zeo. Also the new one has CCS, which is great (and imho one of the bigger drawbacks of the leafs)
    If it's big enough for you then thats a good option.
    If you are in no hurry you might get a good deal on a high spec demo in a few months towards the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I know you say under €32k, but the Leaf e+ (62kWh) is getting quite close to that now, a few on autotrader (UK) for €32k. A couple of months and some hard bargaining will privacy get you one for €30k.

Any chance of getting your employer to buy one for you and benefit from the 0% BIK?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭zg3409

Zoe is tiny, CCS charging is an optional extra on base model. 22kW Max is base model as far as I know which is problematic if you want to go beyond the range and get back, so 22kW vs 70kW or 50kW Ioniq charging rate. That means 1 hour charging vs 30 minutes mid trip. A 50kWh battery on 22kW charging will take 2+ hours to fill up when low, possibly 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Only looking at zero emission options. I know its more practical to have a hybrid or a petrol car but I guess it's more of a personal choice :)

Fair enough. For your requirements there will be some compromise at that price point I feel but it's possible. Let us know how it goes whatever the outcome and feedback on your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sekond

I'm reviving this because, things got stalled over Christmas and then lockdown happened and various life things. All of which means I'm only just now getting around to doing some serious looking. The Corolla is still ticking along, but suspect it might need some work soon, so the need to pick a new car is becoming a bit more urgent.

Looking around a bit, it looks like there might be some other options for me now (still looking at around 30,000). The Corsa e seems about the size I'm looking for. It seems like it might be a good alternative option to the Leaf 40 now?

I'll be starting to try to get rest drives over the next couple of weeks and hoping the Corolla lasts long enough for me to make my decision!

Mod Note: Moved posts from a similar thread

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

For under 30k in Ireland from new leaves you with

e208
    Corsa-e
    Zoe 50
    Leaf 40
    Mini Cooper SE

The e208 and Corsa E are basically the same, the Mini has a smaller battery but a much more upmarket interior and drive feel. Generally I recommend the e208 or Corsa for this price segment, but have ordered a Mini myself, because I think it's a much nicer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭eagerv

sekond wrote: »
    I'm reviving this because, things got stalled over Christmas and then lockdown happened and various life things. All of which means I'm only just now getting around to doing some serious looking. The Corolla is still ticking along, but suspect it might need some work soon, so the need to pick a new car is becoming a bit more urgent.

Looking around a bit, it looks like there might be some other options for me now (still looking at around 30,000). The Corsa e seems about the size I'm looking for. It seems like it might be a good alternative option to the Leaf 40 now?

I'll be starting to try to get rest drives over the next couple of weeks and hoping the Corolla lasts long enough for me to make my decision!

The only advice I would give is to try and hold off for a little while longer and try and nurse your Corolla along for a bit longer, don't they last for ever?:pac:

It looks as though Volkswagen are aiming to sell a lot of EVs with ordering perhaps starting in as little as a week for deliveries later in year/early 2021. It looks as though a basic ID3 may be available from perhaps 28-30K.
    This aggressive pricing will no doubt effect all other EV prices even if you have no interest in the ID3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I forgot to ask ,what are you currently driving ( that's to O.P. "into the wild "
    And how do you find it size wise ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

sekond wrote: »

Can you stretch to €32k? Leaf 62 ex-demos can be had for that - https://www.charleshurstgroup.co.uk/nearly-new-car/nissan/leaf/160kw-e--tekna-62kwh-5dr-auto/id/240865. Decent range, high spec, good size and some of the depreciation on a new car has already happened. Those guys will drop the car down to Dublin. Personally I’d take this over a new Leaf40 every day of the week...

The ID.3 does seem like a decent option. I'm not particularly in any hurry. Currently I don't own any car. Usually just rent them whenever I need to go anywhere

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Can you stretch to €32k? Leaf 62 ex-demos can be had for that - https://www.charleshurstgroup.co.uk/nearly-new-car/nissan/leaf/160kw-e--tekna-62kwh-5dr-auto/id/240865. Decent range, high spec, good size and some of the depreciation on a new car has already happened. Those guys will drop the car down to Dublin. Personally I’d take this over a new Leaf40 every day of the week...

That’s a good price and the car is over 6 months old too, just have to drive it up to the 6,000kms mark prior to VRT inspection to avoid VAT

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sekond

I test drove the Corsa e today. It was a lovely ride, and a perfect size for me coming from the Corolla. With trade in, and the higher spec, it's coming in at just a tiny bit over 30,000

I am very very tempted.

The Leaf 40 was too big for me.

slave1 wrote: »
    That’s a good price and the car is over 6 months old too, just have to drive it up to the 6,000kms mark prior to VRT inspection to avoid VAT

Here’s one for under €30k that just popped up an alert - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007181403670

The 3.zero should be identical spec to the Tekna...

Advertisement