Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle lane

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In case it hasnt been mentioned before, when a cycle lane is where 20 bus pax disembark, its not a cycle lane, its a footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Cork city council put in some lovely cycle lanes , that are on the same level as the footpath , and start and end at pedestrian crossings ,( ie where pedestrians wait to cross ) , in fairness they've done some well segregated ones too ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Dublin have spent millions on dual lane raised cycle paths in scenic areas with massive disruption to high density commuter traffic while they were being build - yet the traffic is still left chugging behind 10 mph cyclists on 60-80 kph streatches of roads. Where cycle lanes are in place they should be obligatory.

I narrowly missed mincing a moron cyclist who came off the footpath onto the road in front of me and BRAKED to admire the view. If I had been 2 seconds later in my braking he would have been a jam sandwich. If I hd been a truck or bus driver he would have been exterminated.

Fools on bikes incapable of knowing or unwilling to follow the rules of the road should have their bikes taken off them for their welfare and to keep the roads safe. If I had swerved into a car or other cyclist or driven over him the gaurds would have been all over it like a rash - as it is there are no consequences for abusing the rules of the road for cyclists and no financial consequences if they cause an accident - this need to change alongside cyclists shrugging off bike lanes and not wanting to use them because they might have to slow down, wait their turn or use good judgement.

Dublin have spent millions on dual lane raised cycle paths in scenic areas with massive disruption to high density commuter traffic while they were being build - yet the traffic is still left chugging behind 10 mph cyclists on 60-80 kph streatches of roads. Where cycle lanes are in place they should be obligatory.

I narrowly missed mincing a moron cyclist who came off the footpath onto the road in front of me and BRAKED to admire the view. If I had been 2 seconds later in my braking he would have been a jam sandwich. If I hd been a truck or bus driver he would have been exterminated.

Fools on bikes incapable of knowing or unwilling to follow the rules of the road should have their bikes taken off them for their welfare and to keep the roads safe. If I had swerved into a car or other cyclist or driven over him the gaurds would have been all over it like a rash - as it is there are no consequences for abusing the rules of the road for cyclists and no financial consequences if they cause an accident - this need to change alongside cyclists shrugging off bike lanes and not wanting to use them because they might have to slow down, wait their turn or use good judgement.

You read the whole thread clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Should the fools in cars, like the 98% of drivers that break urban speed limits, have their cars taken off them for their own welfare and to keep the roads safe?

We're gonna need a bigger pound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I cycled home from my sister's house earlier, and I tried out the cycle lane that runs alongside the M50 from Ballinteer to Moreen. It was actually pretty nice. Better than my usual on-road route.

Anyway, sometimes off-road cycle tracks are ok. God, so many bad ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....Fools on bikes incapable of knowing or unwilling to follow the rules of the road should have their bikes taken off them for their welfare and to keep the roads safe.....
    You do realise that the roads would be hundreds of times more safer if fools in motor vehicles 'incapable of knowing or unwilling to follow the rules had their vehicles taken off them for their welfare and to keep the roads safe'?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: If the OP is happy that his query has been suitably answered I might wrap this one up by the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Dublin spent billions on a 4 lane motorway -yet cyclist are still left behind traffic . Where the M50 exists it should be obligatory for all journeys that don't end in the city :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Dublin have spent millions on dual lane raised cycle paths in scenic areas
    I narrowly missed mincing a moron cyclist who came off the footpath onto the road in front of me and BRAKED to admire the view.
    this is quite an interesting crowbarring of a point into the discussion.
    i don't see what scenic areas have to do with it. and also, you mention this cyclist came off the *footpath*. not the cycle path, so i don't know what point is being made here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

shutup wrote: »
    So you don’t use a cycle lane because the state spends billions on motorways etc ?
    Seems you felt I was attacking cyclists and you dove in defence.
    I’m not trying to start an argument about cyclist versus motorists. Quite the opposite. I’m trying to let people know why cyclists don’t use them.
    I am a cyclist and I’d love to see more bikes in the road.
    Although I was very put out by a cyclists behaviour on the drumartin link road on Friday and I am wondering why he was in traffic like a mad man goading people into arguments instead of being up on a great stretch of cycle lane.

That's about one of the only stretches of cycle lane I use as its right next to my house.. but with my experiences of cycle lanes, that one is indeed one of the exceptions as its a very good cycle lane, but not without its faults either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Further on i jumped on the cycle lanes around ballycoolin. Not bad but you have to yield every where a road crosses, including the garage along the way.

Loads of space on the ones around Ballycoolin, but like you said, an absolute pain in the ass having to cede at every junction and entrance/exit. More so that at the roundabouts in which you want to go straight you're directed out of your way around to the next pedestrian crossing, which you cross, and then have to double back on yourself.

Having said that, during rush hours it's absolutely mental around there with the amount cars, van and trucks tipping away at a decent speed, because the roundabouts are so big there's not much need to slow down to drive around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The Drumartin Link Road/ Clonskeagh Road is one of my commute options (when I'm in the office). The link road cycle lane itself is ok, but very much shared space in pre-covid times, I can only imagine now with pedestrians trying to physical distance it must be pretty unusable. There's also road works so I thought it was closed.

The Drumartin Road "cycle lane" is an absolute clusterf*ck.

As for using them, I usually do commuting, but there's a few sections that I rarely use the "perfectly good"/ "spent millions on" cycle lanes due to where they dump you out onto the road, and having to yield when if I was on the road I wouldn't have to. On top of all the other issues outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

The cycle lane could be in terrible condition

Some cycle lanes have poles in the middle of them :rolleyes:

Cycle lanes can be full of grit/stones/glass as traffic pushes all that sort of crap to the left of the driving lane

Some cycle lanes have drains and man hole covers in them, which aren’t particularly safe when dry, but can be like glass when wet

Pedestrians/children/dogs walking on or stepping into the cycle lane without looking (mainly when they are the same height as the footpath)

If it’s a raised cycle lane (same height as the footpath), it makes it a lot harder to take a right turn as you have to come off the curb

Some cycle lanes have terrible designs. The cycle lane could end and it will spit you out onto the road at a right angle, which basically means stopping dead if there is any traffic coming before you can join the road, so it’s easier to stay on the road in the first place

Some drivers see the cycle lane marking as some invisible wall between them and the cyclist, so don’t bother giving the proper distance between them and the cyclist

Speaking as a long-time cyclist, I'd prefer if we didn't have any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

All the same, you can see how popular certain bits of cycling infrastructure are. I don't think there's any doubt that people preferentially use the main bit of the Grand Canal cycleway rather than the road. I know some people prefer the road, and I can see why, but the cycleway is much more popular. Even though it has significant compromises and problems (I personally found a different route to work, as I couldn't be dealing with the bottleneck at Lesson St. bridge anymore)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Had the pleasure of travelling that section of cycle track this morning at about 8am from Beacon to UCD. Albeit very little motor traffic and almost no walkers/joggers meant rapid progress could be maintained the whole way from the Beacon hospital to Ranelagh (lights notwithstanding) before it descended into a tricky navigation around the village itself.

I'm sure with busier footpaths and social distancing that cycle track would be a totally different prospect, and yes, the Eden park "junction" is a fatal calamity with no yield sign visible to the motorist emerging from or heading into the estate.

One of the better ones around the Dublin suburbs I reckon.

Blanch is a cluster****, that roundabout at Powercity is really, really dodgy - slippy as fcuk too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

The new orange poles lining cycle lanes might be a bit tricky for kids learning, as they are laid out following the curve of a turn thus creating a slalom for cyclists continuing straight through a junction.

I doubt the planners have a high enough education nevermind cycling ability themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: And we are done, if you want it reopened, PM me. The OP has signalled he is happy with the answer. All the best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement