Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger short barrel (split from for sale thread)

• 10-07-2020 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

MOD NOTE

Splitting this out from the for sale section for the purpose of discussion.

Seeking a 12.5" barrel for my 10/22. Also consider other lightweight barrels

cheers

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Hi All

Seeking a 12.5" barrel for my 10/22. Also consider other lightweight barrels

cheers

J

Might b worth a read tru the criminal justice act 2006 section 12 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Thanks for the info - Ad changed pending clarification.

Does that mean that 16.5 is okay but 12.5 isn't? I thought that they were in same category - if 12.5 isn't allowed then does that mean that all 10/22's should be 20 inchs? That would make almost all 10/22's I've seen in Ireland problematic.

I know there were many threads on this before but perhaps there has been some clarification in recent years?

J

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭clivej

I tihnk it goes something like........
    You can buy a rifle with a shorter barrel BUT you cannot shorten the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Plenty of barrels out there, that have been legally imported to Ireland. What's your main shooting activity going to be, the VQ 12.5 is a very accurate barrel but also very light, if your shooting offhand comps, I found mine too light. 16.5 seems to be the most popular, I now have the 16.5 Kidd lightweight not the Ultra lightweight.

Apologies to the Mods, just realised we are in the Sale & Wanted section, and I'm waffling on sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I was watching this a while ago, its a ruger charger pistol with an arm brace. I fancy one.

• Advertisement

Whistle Pig, 20" with built in muzzel break.

519521.jpg

519522.jpg

20200711_083742.jpg

20200711_084124.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Some food for thought, look at the ballistic characteristics of the round you want to use as well as what type of shooting you want to do.

IE : Heavier barrel for target shooting
    Lighter barrel for Hunting, if it requires a MOD etc and that weight.

BALLANCE ; Yes this is important with 10/22 s. check this by holding out your gun at the mag well, if it tips one way or another its not balanced and that will mess up your shot when your tired, unless you are prone rested.

This relates to ammo and your barrel,
    Generally speaking you need 14.5 inches of barrel to burn off the powder and give the round some stabilisation in flight to the target when your using .22 rifle ammo.

Don't confuse this with pistols who should use a completely different round, but no one does in Ireland.
    See the guys standing out at .22 pistol competitions most of them will be using a pistol round.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Thanks JB

I already have a GM heavy barrel which is great for accuracy but I also wanted something lighter hence original 12.5" barrel request.

cheers

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

At what barrel length does a pistol stop being a pistol and start being a rifle ?

tudderone wrote: »
    At what barrel length does a pistol stop being a pistol and start being a rifle ?

12.5", under that and it's a short firearm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement