Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US politician proposes "CAREN Act"

Options
  • 10-07-2020 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/san-francisco-lawmaker-proposes-caren-act-make-false-racist-911-n1233226
    San Francisco lawmaker proposes CAREN Act to make false, racist 911 calls illegal
    The Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies Act is a play on "Karens," white women who target people of color for engaging in everyday acts.

According to the press lease, under Bonta's Assembly Bill 1550, these 911 calls would be classified as a hate crime.

The caller could also be sued for up to $10,000 in damages. Those who violate the CAREN Act would be liable for no less than $1,000.
    That's not what a Karen is and it shows three things - the politician doesn't know memes are and also he's racist and sexist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Law seems reasonable at first glance, acronym is stupid and can only have been devised to stir shyte.

EDIT: Just read in more detail and law is pointless really.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is already legislation to handle cases where someone makes a false or prank call to police.
    This introduces a race aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭quokula

The CAREN Act will make it unlawful for an individual to contact law enforcement solely to discriminate on the basis of a person’s race, ethnicity, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity

Not sure how any reasonable person could disagree with that. You have an extremely warped set of values if you're taking offence at it and calling the proposer racist and sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

The US is run by teenagers

I feel so sorry for women called Karen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,303 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

biko wrote: »
    There is already legislation to handle cases where someone makes a false or prank call to police.
    This introduces a race aspect.

not according to the article you linked to
    Current California law considers false police reports misdemeanor or felony offenses. But that does not include those who make calls like those described in the CAREN Act.

Yes, because today there is no racial dimension.

Yes, because today there is no racial dimension.

would you prefer that that aspect of an offence is ignored? That would make it easier to pretend that racism doesnt exist i suppose.

I would prefer it yes.

Let's say Joe and Sam are out walking and see a black guy trying to break into a car.

Joe rings the police and they arrive.

It turns out the black guy just forgot his keys inside the car and forced the door open.

Police arrest Joe because Joe is Chinese and therefore the call was a hate crime.

Had his black friend Sam called the police instead nothing more would have come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I feel so sorry for women called Karen.

Before Karen, it was Becky. Just like the people/companies/bands that were called Isis, Karen will get her name back when this moves on to another one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

WrenBoy wrote: »
    The US is run by teenagers

Absolutely - The infantile acronyms are just painful.

Everything about their Political system is just weird and childish.

The stupid acronyms , Senators and Congress people bringing "props" into the chamber , the bumper stickers and the rallies.

They think they are all still in some TV High school arguing about Class President or something equally trivial.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought Karens were just "I want to speak to the manager" types rather than "I want to speak to the white manager" types.

I would prefer it yes.

Let's say Joe and Sam are out walking and see a black guy trying to break into a car.

Joe rings the police and they arrive.

It turns out the black guy just forgot his keys inside the car and forced the door open.

Police arrest Joe because Joe is Chinese and therefore the call was a hate crime.

Had his black friend Sam called the police instead nothing more would have come of it.

yeah you haven't actually read the article have you. you just saw the mention of racism and were immediately opposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Is this to deal with Jussie Smollet / the NASCAR garage noose type fake racism calls?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought Karens were just "I want to speak to the manager" types rather than "I want to speak to the white manager" types.

This is the thing about memes. People say "no, you're using it wrong", but in fact they just change and morph to be whatever the user wants them to be. Arguing about them being correctly used is meaningless. They flare up, explode in a variety of colours and shapes, and then die off. Then the next one comes along and the cycle starts over again.

And for that reason, no law should ever be named after one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Police in the US are already beginning to look the other way when it comes to black people commiting crimes in fear of the outrage mob. It won't end well.

It's like the word 'troll'. I used to be a troll, I'm not any more, they get too much bad press these days....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/san-francisco-lawmaker-proposes-caren-act-make-false-racist-911-n1233226

That's not what a Karen is and it shows three things - the politician doesn't know memes are and also he's racist and sexist.

Gotta laugh at all the people mightily aggrieved at the racism in the world. Over the last 6 weeks or so.

If they had 10% as much concern over the last ten years, things might not have escalated to this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Gotta laugh at all the people mightily aggrieved at the racism in the world. Over the last 6 weeks or so.

If they had 10% as much concern over the last ten years, things might not have escalated to this point.

They could care less. Its just the latest go to of the permanently outraged mob. They'll move on to the next outlet for their emotions in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Is this to deal with Jussie Smollet / the NASCAR garage noose type fake racism calls?

no it's only to deal with the "correct" types of fake calls.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is the thing about memes. People say "no, you're using it wrong", but in fact they just change and morph to be whatever the user wants them to be. Arguing about them being correctly used is meaningless. They flare up, explode in a variety of colours and shapes, and then die off. Then the next one comes along and the cycle starts over again.

And for that reason, no law should ever be named after one.

At least if we're going to legislate with memes they should use a decent one like grumpy cat or Rick Astley.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,052 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do you have evidence they called 911? No. Desperate attempt to shoehorn an unrelated topic in here because you have some beef with Bubba Wallace. Get over it.

I don’t see the problem with the act of it gives people pause before calling police to check themselves if they’re really concerned about public safety or if they’re just being racist. One of the instigating incidents to this bill was a couple who called police on a homeowner stenciling his own garden wall with “black lives matter” - they got into it with the homeowner, yelling that he wasn’t the homeowner at all, that they knew the homeowner and he wasn’t the homeowner. Spoiler alert: he was the homeowner.

Overheal wrote: »
    Do you have evidence they called 911? No. Desperate attempt to shoehorn an unrelated topic in here because you have some beef with Bubba Wallace. Get over it.

911 audio from night of Jussie Smollett’s reported attack

I've no beef with the guy, I don't even know his name...

911 audio from night of Jussie Smollett’s reported attack

I think it’s amazing you have this much trouble telling black people apart, even when it’s just text and names but Bubba Wallace and Jussie Smollett are not one and the same.

I think it’s amazing you have this much trouble telling black people apart, even when it’s just text and names but Bubba Wallace and Jussie Smollett are not one and the same.

I didn't mix them up , you said THEY didnt call 911, just helping you out.

I didn't mix them up , you said THEY didnt call 911, just helping you out.

You bolded the wrong name as I clearly specified bubba Wallace.

And he didn’t call 911. You are lumping them together ignorantly

I've no beef with the guy, I don't even know his name...

The Bubba Wallace situation was quite different to Jussie Smollett's. In Wallace's case, a rope shaped exactly like a noose was found in his garage by a member of staff. Other garages were checked first to see if it was a standard feature, and they didn't have them, so they reached a conclusion that they thought was reasonable in the circumstances. It later turned out (via older photographs) that the rope had been there before Wallace ever used the garage, so it was clear at that point that it wasn't something sinister.

It wasn't that he made up something. NASCAR's president Steve Phelps was the one who told Wallace about the rope in the first place. It was NASCAR that jumped to the wrong conclusions, and it wasn't a deliberate lie.

The Bubba Wallace situation was quite different to Jussie Smollett's. In Bubba's case, a rope shaped exactly like a noose was found in his garage by a member of staff. Other garages were checked first to see if it was a standard feature, and they didn't have them, so they reached a conclusion that they thought was reasonable in the circumstances. It later turned out (via older photographs) that the rope had been there before Bubba ever used the garage, so it was clear at that point that it wasn't something sinister.

Unless he’s always assigned that garage there, or was determined to be in the future. But I think they keep them shuffled for reasons of race related espionage or sabotage; that’s an unverified assumption though.

• Advertisement

Unless he’s always assigned that garage there, or was determined to be in the future. But I think they keep them shuffled for reasons of race related espionage or sabotage; that’s an unverified assumption though.

The investigation determined that the rope was there before he was assigned the garage. From the NASCAR statement:
    The FBI has completed its investigation at Talladega Superspeedway and determined that Bubba Wallace was not the target of a hate crime. The FBI report concludes, and photographic evidence confirms, that the garage door pull rope fashioned like a noose had been positioned there since as early as last fall. This was obviously well before the 43 team's arrival and garage assignment.

This, by the way, was the rope in question, just in case there's any questions as to whether it actually looked like a noose or not:

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1276188964488003584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1276188964488003584%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnascar%2Fnews%2Fnascar-shares-photo-of-rope-fashioned-as-noose-found-in-bubba-wallaces-garage-at-talladega%2F

Advertisement