Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comet NeoWise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

BYMBcnFO_o.jpg

jGL2J9ww_o.jpg

mWfDpuhn_o.jpg

This Last image is an enlargement of the comet head to show how incredibly green it is. White balance was set to daylight. These are from last night - 17-7.

It's so nice to live somewhere with fairly dark skies and to have a pair of Fujinon 14x40 image stabilising binoculars to hand. :D
    (14 times magnification)

Using the binoculars, the tail extends for an incredible distance, far more than is apparent in the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Tonight looks to be a good night to have a look, not sure where I'll go to get away from the light of Dublin but I am willing to drive to get to a darker area. Maybe try inland and keep Dublin to my east. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm in north Wicklow so any tips on good spots to park up will be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭bb12

i thought it was supposed to be clearer this weekend/next week as it's closest to earth? could barely see it last night in clear skies yet it was easily visible last week.

Tonight looks to be a good night to have a look, not sure where I'll go to get away from the light of Dublin but I am willing to drive to get to a darker area. Maybe try inland and keep Dublin to my east. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm in north Wicklow so any tips on good spots to park up will be greatly appreciated.

https://www.darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html#7/53.527/-8.086

bb12 wrote: »
    i thought it was supposed to be clearer this weekend/next week as it's closest to earth? could barely see it last night in clear skies yet it was easily visible last week.

I live in the Midwest and there has hardly been a gap in the clouds these last two weeks, so unfortunately the closest approach time probably won't coincide with clear skies, in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

bb12 wrote: »

It is closer to earth but it's moving away from the sun which means it is dimming noticeably by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭mossie

Duff wrote: »
    What phone/settings? :eek:

Oneplus 7T using Gcam in astrophotography mode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I'm thinking of viewing it this evening,the sky in Clare is clear enough.

Has anyone an idea of where it'll be, I'm a novice astronomer.

I was thinking maybe Black Head in Co Clare

nthclare wrote: »
    I'm thinking of viewing it this evening,the sky in Clare is clear enough.

Has anyone an idea of where it'll be, I'm a novice astronomer.

I was thinking maybe Black Head in Co Clare

North north west after sunset veering northward as the night progresses. The stars in the handle of the big dipper roughly point to it and it's past the ladle part.

Have a look at the pic I took last night with it just above the trees, you can see where it is in relation to the big dipper in that shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭emo72

Great night tonight for it. It's glowing out there right now. Amazing sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭numbernine

What app would you suggest I use to check the location from where I am?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

numbernine wrote: »
    What app would you suggest I use to check the location from where I am?

Do you know which way is North

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭numbernine

Do you know which way is North

Yes.. but not familiar with the constellations and where exactly to look. Never mind. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Are you still interested.

It's easy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Shpongler

First clear view of Neowise tonight. Took a shot with the pixel 3a ‚ North Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

numbernine wrote: »
    Yes.. but not familiar with the constellations and where exactly to look. Never mind. Thanks anyway.
    Check out this site if you want to see it: https://www.heavens-above.com
    Pick Astronomy > Comets, the click on C/2020 F3 NEOWISE

I find using The Plough is useful for figuring out roughly where it is. Finally observed it earlier. Using the naked eye was a bit of a a waste of time in my, not, bad, location, so hopped in the car for better darkness but still needed binos to get a good view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I was hoping to get to Termonfeckin beach tonight but didn't pan out. Laytown was also on the cards. Anywhere north of Dublin would be better than Dublin though. With Wicklow you're looking into Dublin. There's some great sky to be had in Wicklow though just not to the North of it.

For anyone wondering how to find NEOWISE, here's where it will be tomorrow night, may be clear night if not a little bit of cloud.

Yellow line is the plough easy to spot red line path to follow.

520517.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Tails lot stronger tonight
    50131836668_74a19c58c2_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it low in the horizon? north-east?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I went to look for it last night, couldn't find it, too close to trees I think.
    I did see Jupiter displaying some moons over in the south east,

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

While looking to see neowise last night in very clear skies in the midlands last night I saw something move from east to west between the plough and the northern horizon lasting about one minute and leaving a long tail with the intensity of the light fading throughout that minute. Would have been about 11.15pm.

Any ideas what I saw? Anyone else see it?

I got to see it anyway.. fairly faint, and my phone camera and the telescope yoke I brought out to look at it were useless..
    Just about visible though..

fryup wrote: »

It will be more towards NW at 23:45 moving North as the night goes on eventual ending up NNE as the sun rises, at 03:15 it will be roughly due north. It is not low on the horizon any longer, roughly the same distance up off the horizon as Jupiter/Saturn.

fryup wrote: »

NNW - and not as low as you would think by the time it becomes visible. The map above showing the relationship to the big dipper is the way to go. Finding it, you are looking for a faint smudge of light. Photos tend to make it look brighter than it is to the eye.

Anyone not able to find it may find that looking for it in your peripheral vision easier. When you are searching for things in the sky your eye tends to focus on the distance in front of it so gazing away from it can focus your eye on the randomness of nothing in turn you make sense of what you see.

telecaster wrote: »
    While looking to see neowise last night in very clear skies in the midlands last night I saw something move from east to west between the plough and the northern horizon lasting about one minute and leaving a long tail with the intensity of the light fading throughout that minute. Would have been about 11.15pm.

It might have been this, whatever it was:

Streak-of-light.jpg

23:19, but it was going WSW towards ENE

I captured a tiny meteor streak near Neowise, but it wouldn't have been visible to the naked eye at all.

Neowise-and-Meteor.jpg

(below and to the left of Neo.)

Possibly would have been Perseids meteor shower. The remains of another comet Swift-Tuttle. Earth starts to pass through the debris field of Swift Tuttle July 17th, it will peak around August 9th-13th.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/meteor-shower/perseid.html

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

telecaster wrote: »

I watched the ISS pass over last night at 11.14-11.23,it was very bright @-3.8magnitude....but it didnt have a tail

• Advertisement

upupup wrote: »
    I watched the ISS pass over last night at 11.14-11.23,it was very bright @-3.8magnitude....but it didnt have a tail

Never tire of seeing the ISS! The top image in OP is definitely the ISS.

Advertisement