Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More from Roderic O'Gorman (MOD NOTE IN OPENING POST)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Has that absolute geebag John Connors been triggered yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The accusations against him are fairly serious, they took Norris down when he went for presidency, so id say your correct he is trying to distance himself from all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,986 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What on earth are you on about? Children mutilating themselves? No-one is advocating surgery on children. Talk of mutilation is absolute nonsense and drivel and completely untrue.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hope they have solid backing in the form on many many transgender people that say "I wish I could have changed my gender when I was 16. I was ready at that age".

When even one of the main activists in Sweden isn't certain she would go ahead, then the Greens really need to think of their policies for children.
    Will it make things better,, or irreparably worse?

No-one is advocating surgery on children.
    Maybe I am missing something but the article states "teenagers under 16 should be able to change their gender, if parents or guardians agree, and a GP approves too".
    Are you saying this is non-medical? No surgery nor pills or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

biko wrote: »
    Maybe I am missing something but the article states "teenagers under 16 should be able to change their gender, if parents or guardians agree, and a GP approves too".
    Are you saying this is non-medical? No surgery nor pills or anything?

It is non-medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

why does heteronormativity need eradicated?

It is normal to not want to change gender. It is normal to be heterosexual.

Anything else is abnormal. By any definition of the word. Outside of the norm.

I imply no negative connotations there but it is indeed abnormal given the numbers involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

Roderic O'Gorman is going to be untouchable and beyond criticism in this government.

While I believe that the last controversy was pretty much a non issue that could have been explained away much earlier by him disassociating himself from any views that condone peodophilia in anyway, he cited the blame entirely on homophobics and most of the main steam media will go along with this. No doubt there were some so called far right lunatics with this objective but not all by far.

Any criticism of this one will also go down a similar route and any discussion banned. He will probably get a lot of things pushed through for better or worse because of lack of any scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Gruffalox wrote: »
    It is non-medical.

Hormone blockers/replacement therapy can be as devastating as surgery.

What on earth are you on about? Children mutilating themselves? No-one is advocating surgery on children. Talk of mutilation is absolute nonsense and drivel and completely untrue.
    Gruffalox wrote: »
    It is non-medical.
    If either of you can point to a source for this that would help the rest of use that still think it's medical.

Saying "it's not what you think" without further explanation isn't a great way to convince people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Jees can’t we just let kids be kids, they have so much crap to deal with in adolescence without more crap. I dunno, treat them as adults for some things and as children for other things. I feel sorry for kids in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,961 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This is the Green Party!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

chosen1 wrote: »
    Roderic O'Gorman is going to be untouchable and beyond criticism in this government.

While I believe that the last controversy was pretty much a non issue that could have been explained away much earlier by him disassociating himself from any views that condone peodophilia in anyway, he cited the blame entirely on homophobics and most of the main steam media will go along with this. No doubt there were some so called far right lunatics with this objective but not all by far.

Any criticism of this one will also go down a similar route and any discussion banned. He will probably get a lot of things pushed through for better or worse because of lack of any scrutiny.
    He won't be able to play that card indefinitely and in fairness to him there was certainly a homophobic motivation from SOME who pursued the Peter Thatchell thing.

As for this being his first piece of legislation, i dont think its that unusual for a new minister to focus on their own personal hobbyhorse or special interest group when they get into the driving seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,961 ✭✭✭✭walshb

screamer wrote: »
    Jees can’t we just let kids be kids, they have so much crap to deal with in adolescence without more crap. I dunno, treat them as adults for some things and as children for other things. I feel sorry for kids in Ireland.

It’s the fooking kids that are the problem!!!!

walshb wrote: »
    It’s the fooking kids that are the problem!!!!

I don’t think so, they are growing up in a fooked up world, which they didn’t create.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

biko wrote: »
    If either of you can point to a source for this that would help the rest of use that still think it's medical.

Saying "it's not what you think" without further explanation isn't a great way to convince people.

Summary of the act from the 2018 Report (https://assets.gov.ie/70336/d7b77746a61f48af83c8aa0004224ac9.pdf):
    The Gender Recognition Act 2015 provides for the issuing of a gender recognition certificate by the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection. More specifically section 18 of the Act states:
    ‘Where a gender recognition certificate is issued to a person the person’s gender shall from the date of that issue become for all purposes the preferred gender so that if the preferred gender is the male gender the person’s sex becomes that of a man, and if it is the female gender the person’s sex becomes that of a woman.’

That's literally it; it's just about legal recognition. The procedures and policies around medical treatment are entirely separate.

The consultation and mooted changes simply concern how those under 18 will attain a gender recognition certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maybe "Roderick" could focus his energy on desperately needed mental health services for under 16's

Kill two birds with one stone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Rodin wrote: »
    why does heteronormativity need eradicated?

Is it?
    Rodin wrote: »
    It is normal to be heterosexual.

Anything else is abnormal.

:(

This legislation that everyone is getting so animated about, yet nobody seems to have read, - does it make anything compulsory for anyone or just give people options where there were none before?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

He won't be able to play that card indefinitely and in fairness to him there was certainly a homophobic motivation from SOME who pursued the Peter Thatchell thing.

As for this being his first piece of legislation, i dont think its that unusual for a new minister to focus on their own personal hobbyhorse or special interest group when they get into the driving seat.

It's not homophobic to ask questions about a Minister for Childrens connections to a fruit cake.
    I wish the gays would just stop hiding behind this homophobic bullcrap. A straight person would be under the same if not more scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Maybe "Roderick" could focus his energy on desperately needed mental health services for under 16's

those services might actually placate the need for these services.

It is concerning absolutely alarming that his first issue in the hot seat is a completely abhorrent agenda to allow the (Imo) mutilation of children with drugs and potentially surgery.

There is a lot of evidence coming forward that many regret transitioning or that kids are wanting to transition to fit in. Ill try dig it up but I remember reading a shocking article (and it was in a legit news source before the pitchforks come out) about a guidance counsellor in a school noticing that one child on the autistic spectrum transitioned and suddenly many of the others who would have been 'outsiders' and on the ASD started doing the same.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 reubenmcmurphy

Things have changed so fast in so short a time, anyone else think this whole woke thing is simply a cult that has gone global with the backing of elites/the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's not homophobic to ask questions about a Minister for Childrens connections to a fruit cake.
    I wish the gays would just stop hiding behind this homophobic bullcrap. A straight person would be under the same if not more scrutiny.

100% correct but as i said SOME of those who went after him for this were doing it for homophobic reasons (and this is what ROG used to dismiss the entire thing). Asking questions about this matter is in no way in and of itself homophobic. And yes I think a straight minister would also have been asked questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Whenever I see anything on The Liberal, I automatically go 'nope' and believe the exact opposite. It's working out well so far.

Yeh but that’d take money and genuine hard graft. Easier to change some laws somewhere, to be seen as hip and happening, innit....,

sure we've an entire thread about a man on a provisional licence being caught over a limit thats below 1 pint , serving his ban and moving on with it , and its endless people asking him to resign, yet dare question lord roderick and you're a homophobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

To me it seems like he agreed with what Thatchell said, that's why he kept quiet over the last 5-6 days. When the government felt that it wasn't going away, they made him come out and mildly disagree with the statements made. I would imagine they would have been at him for a couple of days to come out and say something. He could have easily released that statement after Day1 but it seemed like it took some persuading. Coveney came out to support him, he'd probably been banging down his door for the last few days telling him to disavow the comments.

Now they have a fresh story and are going on the offensive. I find it hard to believe that some FF backbenchers would be too keen on this latest story or O'Gorman himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

screamer wrote: »
    Yeh but that’d take money and genuine hard graft. Easier to change some laws somewhere, to be seen as hip and happening, innit....,
    Yes, it does take money, but why not keep some of that > €1 billion that we send overseas yearly as "aid" and have a system in Ireland where children can avail of mental health services when they need it ........... and not 9 am - 5 pm for children in some counties.

To ignore the mental health needs of our children in Ireland is appalling, which the previous Children's minister was guilty of. Her focus was overseas migrants.

Jesus, why not start with the basics in the Children's department first before concentrating on your grandiose liberal platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

It is concerning absolutely alarming that his first issue in the hot seat is a completely abhorrent agenda to allow the (Imo) mutilation of children with drugs and potentially surgery.

There is a lot of evidence coming forward that many regret transitioning or that kids are wanting to transition to fit in. Ill try dig it up but I remember reading a shocking article (and it was in a legit news source before the pitchforks come out) about a guidance counsellor in a school noticing that one child on the autistic spectrum transitioned and suddenly many of the others who would have been 'outsiders' and on the ASD started doing the same.

Anyone can check my post history to see how I feel about this whole issue with kids and medicalisation - ie completely against - but before people say stuff abot this read about it, it is about changing gender on legal documents. It is NOT about surgery or hormones or pubertal blockers.

There is plenty of scope to lose the head about stuff that is going on re experimental chemicals being used on children to delay puberty or worse still provide cross sex hormones. But this is not what this is about.
    I disagree with it. I think it messes with young people's heads before they are capable of making such big decisions. I think it will open up issues like what to do in single sex spaces for under 16s. I wonder why it is necessary. How easy to reverse? Etc etc. But these are all different issues to medicalisation of children.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Yes, it does take money, but why not keep some of that > €1 billion that we send overseas as "aid" and have a system in Ireland where children can avail of mental health services when they need it ........... and not 9 am - 5 pm for children in some counties.

To ignore the mental health needs of our children in Ireland is appalling, which the previous Children's minister was guilty of. Her focus was overseas migrants.

Jesus, why not start with the basics in the Children's department first before concentrating on your grandiose liberal platform.

+1 over 90% of children in Ireland are not foreign, are not trans etc.. a robust mental health and diversion/education programs for those at risk would be much more beneficial and not controversial. The minister for children should be focussing on that.

• Advertisement

It's only a legal change, not medical...

Advertisement