Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I've been rewatching the MCU: Things I missed the first time round

• 07-07-2020 12:12pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The 60's Iron Man theme plays in the first Iron Man.

There's repeated plot points all the way through hinging on them making the Iron Man armour space capable (dumping the bomb in Avengers for example).

I don't know if it's coincidence, but opening in South America makes Hulk work really well with the ending of the previous non MCU Hulk film.

When they inject Blonski in Hulk, the scientists say ALMOST the same thing as when Steve gets the original treatment in Captain America.

Although in Avengers it's actually in reference to the nuke later in the same film, Steve telling Tony he's not the type to die for his friends to his face really works with Endgame.

Similarly, I don't think it was on purpose, but Bruce referring to Hulk as "The Other Guy" only makes it seem like it was a planned progression to them accepting themselves by Endgame.

Red Skull's tesseract powered rifles make the same charging sound as an Iron Man repulsor charging (possibly the spy got the technology off of Howard Stark?)

There's a real theme of Iron Man armours becoming less cumbersome to put on over time. Tony seems more neurotic and less funny too when taken in context of the whole series.

Thanos seems waaay nastier and not at all fleshed out in Guardians of the Galaxy.

For some reason, Ronan's troops in GotG are Sakaarian, not Kree.

When Peter is scanned by the Nova in GotG, there's a big red warning kind of sign over his DNA.

Bucky is superhuman in the MCU outside of his arm. In Winter Soldier, Steve insists he was being experimented on, not tortured when he was found in First Avenger, and that was the only way he survived the fall.

That's all I've got so far, I'll post back if I notice more new stuff to me :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Th3Alpha

Wow, I wouldn't have noticed these, lmao, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ronan the accuser was a religious zealot and excommunicated from the kree , think they mention that , that's why he uses the sakarrans if I remember right

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ronan the accuser was a religious zealot and excommunicated from the kree , think they mention that , that's why he uses the sakarrans if I remember right

They 100% do, but they also kinda imply the kree aren't too pushed about stopping him and he has followers. I think they really just wanted to mention Sakaar tbh, maybe Ragnarok was in planning at this point :D

First of many mentions of the multiverse seems to be in Doctor Strange.

Staff of the Living Tribunal is an awful tease :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's really quite sad how far Tony went to prove Steve wrong either knowingly or unknowingly.

Suffers panic attacks in IM3 at the thought of how powerless he is to stop other worldly attacks after what happens at the end of Avengers.

Creates Ultron and nearly ends the world.

Loses Cap as a friend in a bitter and violent fallout.

Recruits Peter which ultimately leads to him being dusted.

Finally in Endgame all he has to give in the end is his life, the one thing he's always tried to avoid by using his brains.

• Advertisement

It's really quite sad how far Tony went to prove Steve wrong either knowingly or unknowingly.

Suffers panic attacks in IM3 at the thought of how powerless he is to stop other worldly attacks after what happens at the end of Avengers.

Creates Ultron and nearly ends the world.

Loses Cap as a friend in a bitter and violent fallout.

Recruits Peter which ultimately leads to him being dusted.

Finally in Endgame all he has to give in the end is his life, the one thing he's always tried to avoid by using his brains.

Civil War, in context of the whole series, feels far darker than when I first watched it. And yeah, Tony seems really neurotic, he makes mistakes everywhere, attacks and distances his friends, and it's all because he's scared for them and is distraught from his parents death.

Ultimately he's completely right, and has to sacrifice himself in order to save them all. As Clint says in Civil War, "The great futurist".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Civil War, in context of the whole series, feels far darker than when I first watched it. And yeah, Tony seems really neurotic, he makes mistakes everywhere, attacks and distances his friends, and it's all because he's scared for them and is distraught from his parents death.

Ultimately he's completely right, and has to sacrifice himself in order to save them all. As Clint says in Civil War, "The great futurist".

Civil War is better on the second (and third, fourth, fifth etc) watch because of what we find out about Bucky and that really changes your viewpoint from the get-go. Easily the best film of the MCU in terms of story and character progression, or regression?

Got to Infinity War.

Not for sure or anything, but watching it so soon after Civil War, it's probably no coincidence that it's Tony that realises instantly that Quill won't be able to contain himself from seeking immediate revenge on Thanos over Gamora- exactly like he couldn't when he heard Bucky killed his parents.

Spidey's death is real sad, especially as it's queued up in Homecoming with Tony being all "if you die that's my fault and I couldn't take that."

You also really want Nebula to kick the **** out of Thanos for 3 films of mental (and eventually physical) torture by the time she gets free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Re-watching these, are there any movies that caused a reevaluation of a previous opinion - either for better or worse? I've wondered how the "duds" like Thor: Dark World or Iron Man 2 might seem on a rewatch (without having the energy to do so mind you lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Not really, I've always been soft towards The Incredible Hulk and IM2.

The only MCU film upon rewatch that changed my opinion was Avengers 1; hated it in the cinema, liked it upon a rewatch one Christmas and now upon a recent rewatch I'm just indifferent.

It doesn't age well in retrospect when you compare it to peak MCU of Civil War/Infinity War (well peak IMO of course). Best way I can describe it is that TA feels like it's set in a Whedonverse, while IW and CW are simply what I dreamed a live action comic book would feel like when I was a kid.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Re-watching these, are there any movies that caused a reevaluation of a previous opinion - either for better or worse? I've wondered how the "duds" like Thor: Dark World or Iron Man 2 might seem on a rewatch (without having the energy to do so mind you lol)

Iron Man 2 is still waaaaay too long, but retroactively, seeing Black Widow for the first time makes it seem more... important. But still not a good film.

Hulk is fine, definitely seemed better. A good film, but non sensical in the canon.

Thor 2 goes from dud to meh.

Iron Man 3 does nothing for me. Tony having PTSD is a good plot beat but the film just does stuff.

The one that really seemed better was Age of Ultron. I really didn't enjoy it first time round, but it seemed tense and important story wise on a rewatch.

Ant-Man 2 is zero craic, but I dunno if it's just because it's a funny film in the middle of the most serious part of the MCU.

I'm torn between Civil War and Infinity War for the absolute peak for the MCU.

Advertisement