Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No fans Irish Open.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Will it be on the box in America? I always feel it’s a missed opportunity to advertise Irish golf and Ireland when it’s not on a links.
    Are there other links courses in the north other than the royals?

Portstewart in or near the top tier.

Castlerock just below top tier.

Kirkistown a lot of fun but not near that level.

Ardglass claims to be a links but it’s not really; it’s seaside parkland with bits of links turf. It would have been an amazing TV venue, but I fear on a still day the pros would destroy it.

——-

Louth Erne would look exceptional on TV. Similar to Loch Lomond, some of the best coverage would be when they’re not showing golf. But I’m guessing whatever wasn’t right a few years ago, when the Open was given to them and taken away in short succession, still isn’t right .

There are few other “championship” venues of note in the 6 counties. The vast majority of clubs up here are long-established, rural, member-club parklands, measuring at most 6,600 yards off the tips. I actually love playing golf in this exact environment, but it’s easy to understand why the pros need something longer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Will it be on the box in America? I always feel it’s a missed opportunity to advertise Irish golf and Ireland when it’s not on a links.
    Are there other links courses in the north other than the royals?

Yes, on heavy rotation in the States usually...

Like the other poster I'd say Castlerock is about the only other worthy links course in NI that has no as of yet held the Irish Open..other parklands better than Galgorm include Malone or Belvoir both in Belfast.
    Ardglass is a fantastic course however has made very recent improvements which I can only assume are too raw to let it hold a ET event, shame, some lovely holes and a great links/cliff top hybrid

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement