Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Yes, Sam Russell, do you mean something like that?

When we built our house about eight years ago, we registered our septic tank in accordance with that. We had an inspection a short time after that to ensure it was installed properly, and we had a follow-up inspection a couple of years ago too.

So if you're saying that something like that "should" be here, rather than knowing that it already is, then this to me looks like yet another case of some city dweller pontificating about how things "should" be done in the countryside, when really they know nothing about it.

Incidentally, our septic tank is an eco-treatment one, that has to be serviced every 12 to 18 months at a cost of approx. €250 to ourselves. But if I lived in a town or city, I could just flush my sh1t away and never have to worry about paying a single extra cent for maintaining the sewage system, because "its paid for from general taxation". Remember I pay general taxation too.

Incidentally, our septic tank - or any septic tank at all - is still a damn sight better than the sewage systems in the towns that still pump all the outflow straight into the sea. And yes, it does happen.

But that's enough of it here. I don't drop into the motors forum from time to time to end up taking about sewage. So don't think I'll be back to this thread. But please, Sam Russell, if you're going to post again yourself, at least try to do a better job of making it look like you know what you're talking about.

Exactly this ^
    Some of the assumptions in the previous pages would make you wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

When we built our house about eight years ago, we registered our septic tank in accordance with that. We had an inspection a short time after that to ensure it was installed properly, and we had a follow-up inspection a couple of years ago too.

So if you're saying that something like that "should" be here, rather than knowing that it already is, then this to me looks like yet another case of some city dweller pontificating about how things "should" be done in the countryside, when really they know nothing about it.

Incidentally, our septic tank is an eco-treatment one, that has to be serviced every 12 to 18 months at a cost of approx. €250 to ourselves. But if I lived in a town or city, I could just flush my sh1t away and never have to worry about paying a single extra cent for maintaining the sewage system, because "its paid for from general taxation". Remember I pay general taxation too.

Incidentally, our septic tank - or any septic tank at all - is still a damn sight better than the sewage systems in the towns that still pump all the outflow straight into the sea. And yes, it does happen.

But that's enough of it here. I don't drop into the motors forum from time to time to end up taking about sewage. So don't think I'll be back to this thread. But please, Sam Russell, if you're going to post again yourself, at least try to do a better job of making it look like you know what you're talking about.

Which town is still pumping sewage direct into the sea?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Obviously things have changed. I am obviously behind the times since registration of septic tanks wes introduced by Phil Hogan. He reduced the registration fee to €5 to get the abysmal response.

I congratulate on your installation, and hope it works well.

Relatives that have septic tanks were sceptical of the proposals, but if you are typical then I am impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The exact opposite is actually being proposed by the government, fast tracking the NBP is a priority. It disgusts me that people are against such a vital piece of infrastructure especially with working from home becoming much more common and going to be incentivised by the new government meaning its much easier for people who want to live rurally to do so without commuting etc. Having high quality high speed broadband is crucial though.

Is it any wonder the large dislike country people have for those in cities, dublin in particular, dictating who should live where and thinking the country side is some sight seeing amenity for them to get out of their small crap houses, get away from their neighbours stuck on top of them and have a walk around once a month or less.

I dont care where you want to live, but you appear to have issue with where I want to live. How about you mind your own business and look after yourself.

Just going to pick you up on this Nox, Ireland is to be enjoyed by everyone, people don't own the countryside and people don't own the cities,.
    This is a motoring forum and if motorists want to drive in the countryside they can and they will, just as you enjoy food and drinks in the city that employs you.

It works both ways.

Domestic tourism plays a large part of our economy and should be encouraged. As we recover from lockdown motoring is playing a large part of peoples holidays and people should be welcoming them, not discouraging them.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Just going to pick you up on this Nox, Ireland is to be enjoyed by everyone, people don't own the countryside and people don't own the cities,.
    This is a motoring forum and if motorists want to drive in the countryside they can and they will, just as you enjoy food and drinks in the city that employs you.

It works both ways.

Domestic tourism plays a large part of our economy and should be encouraged. As we recover from lockdown motoring is playing a large part of peoples holidays and people should be welcoming them, not discouraging them.

I have absolutely no problem at all with domestic or foreign (just not this year) tourists visiting the countryside. It is for everyone but some posters make it sound like an amenity for them to visit from the city and nothing else. The countryside is a community where people live and should continue to live, new generation should build lives there and continue to do so into the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The exact opposite is actually being proposed by the government, fast tracking the NBP is a priority. It disgusts me that people are against such a vital piece of infrastructure especially with working from home becoming much more common and going to be incentivised by the new government meaning its much easier for people who want to live rurally to do so without commuting etc. Having high quality high speed broadband is crucial though.

Is it any wonder the large dislike country people have for those in cities, dublin in particular, dictating who should live where and thinking the country side is some sight seeing amenity for them to get out of their small crap houses, get away from their neighbours stuck on top of them and have a walk around once a month or less.

I dont care where you want to live, but you appear to have issue with where I want to live. How about you mind your own business and look after yourself.

Why are you so emotional and immature? It's a discussion about appropriate planning and not about you. You are not the centre of the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cgcsb wrote: »
    Why are you so emotional and immature? It's a discussion about appropriate planning and not about you. You are not the centre of the universe.

Well actually if you're honest everyone is, bar their very closest and dearest is the centre of their own universe.

Anyone outside that are just....spectators.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I have absolutely no problem at all with domestic or foreign (just not this year) tourists visiting the countryside. It is for everyone but some posters make it sound like an amenity for them to visit from the city and nothing else. The countryside is a community where people live and should continue to live, new generation should build lives there and continue to do so into the future.

Well it is to them, just as Shop street in Galway City is an amenity to you. You're hardly thinking about the community, new generations and lives being build when you settle in to your first pint of Guinness in Taaffes bar? You're also very vocal on boards.ie about Galway City and how it should be ran, what bridges should be built etc.. As I said, it works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

galwaytt wrote: »
    Well actually if you're honest everyone is, bar their very closest and dearest is the centre of their own universe.

Anyone outside that are just....spectators.

That doesn't mean I can't take helicopter views, then people take that helicopter view change it to suit a narrative of victimhood and apply it directly to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Which town is still pumping sewage direct into the sea?

I know I said I probably wouldn't be back here, but I can't stop myself from answering the other know-it-all.

Have a look at the map about halfway down the page here (and you can find the same info in several other places too, if you could be bothered to look):
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/raw-sewage-from-36-areas-released-into-irish-waters-daily-1.4080864

See all those red dots? Those places.

Towns as large as Arklow (where my wife happens to work) or Cobh (where we've holidayed a few times), with populations of around 12,000 to 15,000 people, where every single lump of sh1t deposited by every single person every single day is pumped straight into the sea without being treated at all.

Or places like Ringsend where the treatment plant can't cope with demand so some of it surely escapes untreated too. I see posh Howth named on that graphic too.

All places where the urban dwellers there don't care and don't have to care about sewage treatment and how their sh1t is being pumped straight to sea, "because we pay for it through general taxation".

The same sort of urban dwellers who then come on places like this to make ill-informed and nonsensical statements about septic tanks. As stated above, I guarantee you that our waste put through our septic tank does far less harm than the waste produced in these towns.

Jaysus, even the slurry pit on the farm down the road from me does less damage, because at least it's all contained in a concrete tank instead of being pumped out into the sea to slosh around wherever it likes.

Yes, this is a bit of a rant, but I'm absolutely sick to death of town and city people who wouldn't know cowsh1t from sheepsh1t or the difference between hay and straw coming onto places like this and lecturing us about how things should be done in the countryside.

This time I'm definitely out of here. Goodbye.

• Advertisement

I know I said I probably wouldn't be back here, but I can't stop myself from answering the other know-it-all.

Have a look at the map about halfway down the page here (and you can find the same info in several other places too, if you could be bothered to look):
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/raw-sewage-from-36-areas-released-into-irish-waters-daily-1.4080864

Towns as large as Arklow (where my wife happens to work) or Cobh (where we've holidayed a few times), with populations of around 12,000 to 15,000 people, where every single lump of sh1t deposited by every single person every single day is pumped straight into the sea without being treated at all.

Or places like Ringsend where the treatment plant can't cope with demand so some of it surely escapes untreated too. I see posh Howth named on that graphic too.

All places where the urban dwellers there don't care and don't have to care about sewage treatment and how their sh1t is being pumped straight to sea, "because we pay for it through general taxation".

The same sort of urban dwellers who then come on places like this to make ill-informed and nonsensical statements about septic tanks. As stated above, I guarantee you that our waste put through our septic tank does far less harm than the waste produced in these towns.

Jaysus, even the slurry pit on the farm down the road from me does less damage, because at least it's all contained in a concrete tank instead of being pumped out into the sea to slosh around wherever it likes.

Yes, this is a bit of a rant, but I'm absolutely sick to death of town and city people who wouldn't know cowsh1t from sheepsh1t or the difference between hay and straw coming onto places like this and lecturing us about how things should be done in the countryside.

Not much to do with motoring, but it's obvious from your excellent post that city and town sewage infrastructure has been badly neglected and underfunded. The money generated by these economic power centres needs to be pumped directly back in to the areas that are affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Power goes off for a few minutes every fortnight or so , have had three or four hour long outages this year, last major upgrade of poles ,transformers was 2004-5 ,

Yeh. I'm going to suggest this is not true unless you live on Clare Island and even then. Either the electrics are screwed up in your house or you have a coin operating meter you forget to put coins in.

I have some news for you that we tend to replace poles/transformers every forty or so years - in some case longer. Do you really imagine we replace them every ten years or so?

All the more reason Irish Water should have been kept going as people funded and not state funded

micosoft wrote: »
    Yeh. I'm going to suggest this is not true unless you live on Clare Island and even then. Either the electrics are screwed up in your house or you have a coin operating meter you forget to put coins in.

I have some news for you that we tend to replace poles/transformers every forty or so years - in some case longer. Do you really imagine we replace them every ten years or so?

It’s not true, ESB networks have invested millions so any failure on the network can be pinpointed in seconds.

They replace transformers when they need to, 40 years? No idea but the what is the shelf life of a transformers?

It is worth considering it is cheap for networks to replace a transformers than have someone constantly going out to fix the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Nothing to do with the house, whole area goes out, don't think they ever had coin operated meters in Ireland, very English thing, do you have to light a gas geyser to heat the bath?

Nothing to do with the house, whole area goes out, don't think they ever had coin operated meters in Ireland, very English thing, do you have to light a gas geyser to heat the bath?

Loads in flats around Dublin for years

Loads in flats around Dublin for years

As I said English thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I'm living outside cork city and in three years we've had three major outages (over 24hrs) and loads of minor ones where the power would blip and all the digital clocks need resetting.

I wouldn't be "out in the sticks" rural but that's a lot of outages for a supposedly great network where they can pin point outages within seconds.

I'm living outside cork city and in three years we've had three major outages (over 24hrs) and loads of minor ones where the power would blip and all the digital clocks need resetting.

I wouldn't be "out in the sticks" rural but that's a lot of outages for a supposedly great network where they can pin point outages within seconds.

I'm half a mile from a substation and an industrial estate and I'm being told its my fault by the ESB fanboys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Truthvader wrote: »
    Actually one of those people with a car so I go to where I want when I want rather than waiting 40 minutes on the grace and favour of CIE on the off chance that they might show up to get deposited wherever CIE think I might like to go

What’s this 40 minutes nonsense?, nobody needs to wait 40 minutes anymore. That’s what apps are for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Not much to do with motoring, but it's obvious from your excellent post that city and town sewage infrastructure has been badly neglected and underfunded. The money generated by these economic power centres needs to be pumped directly back in to the areas that are affected.

Economic power centre, Arklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Didn't take long for the lads to publicly humiliate the whipping boy, he's been done up like a kipper.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cork-south-central-ministers-m20-motorway-will-be-built-1009247.html

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I'm half a mile from a substation and an industrial estate and I'm being told its my fault by the ESB fanboys

Fanboys?

Didn't take long for the lads to publicly humiliate the whipping boy, he's been done up like a kipper.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cork-south-central-ministers-m20-motorway-will-be-built-1009247.html

When did anyone say it wouldn’t be built?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

When did anyone say it wouldn’t be built?

Jog on, fanboy.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

See the Green / bicycle loons have shut down Malahide now. On and on the fantasy goes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You may want to clarify your definition of 'shut down'.

Excellent example of how shutting down roads and letting people walk around the area with children will improve the quality of life.

Jog on, fanboy.

Yet again you prove to be an excellent example of a Healy Rae voter. No idea what is going on and think your "sticking it up the bouys in Dublin"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement