Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducklings living in garden

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

So as wildwillow predicted, this morning the mother duck flew out over the side gate and encouraged the rest of them out through an inch wide gap, I'm amazed they fit but I suppose they're mostly fluff. All captured on the Nest doorbell cam.

They proceeded out the driveway, trying to get into the stream. They live in a cul de sac and I think there's a way in to the stream from the neighbour's garden so fingers crossed they got there ok. Annoying as I spent some time yesterday making a hole in our fence and cutting the bank so they could get up and down easily, we were going to try and direct them to it in the coming days.

https://youtu.be/GesraX8lobM

This is the stream they hopefully got into, and my attempts at a ladder in the bottom right.

20200629-191427.jpg

Thanks for the help and interest every one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hogzy wrote: »
    Fingers crossed you wont have the same reaction Tony Soprano did when the day comes for the ducklings to fly away :pac:

Know any good shrinks? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

So surprised she still has the full brood.
    Your garden must be safe and it's such a pity she moved. She is probably an experienced mother and will find the stream. It's amazing how nature works.

I have loved following this thread. Keep an eye out as they sometimes have a second brood, though it's probably too late and she will be happy with the ones who survive,

But the good news is that she will probably be back next year, or if not her, you may have one of her offspring nesting.

Well done.
    By the way, perhaps a hedgehog will welcome that hole you made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

This is the best thread, just what I needed this morning ðŸ˜

Advertisement