Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Injury (long term)

Options
  • 27-06-2020 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Folks looking for some ALT advice ...picked up a running injury about 2/3 years ago in the leg yet managed a 50 miler with it couple of cycling events etc dublin city marathon ...started going down hill after DCM where from my hip to my knee was almost in constant pain with intermittent days of no pain like I could run 5k one day but walk 5k and my knee would seize up, pain in the back etc went to the local physio who tried some strengthening regimes and dry needling they referred me to SSC ....went for scans in SSC and have been working with one of the main lads up there who's convinced its not structural but in the 10 months i've been going up for rehab work I haven't really improved at all ...Im stuck in an Injury nightmare and am looking for alternate recommendations of someone to maybe give a shout to based in north dub/meath/louth

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

I can't give advice on anyone to see unfortunately but just wanted to point you in the direction of something I've started following a few months ago. It's two guys known as 'Movement 101'. I follow their Mobile for Life programme which provides a framework and videos of movements to improve your strength and mobility at all joints. I heard about them on the Karl Henry podcast a few months ago, but an injured runner had mentioned them a few months before that.
    I paid to access the programme (think it was about 130 euro), however if you just followed them on instagram they demonstrate loads of the movements there for free, even doing the daily movement routine live three times a week. I'm not doing a lot, and I've only been more consistent for the past three months. I'm trying to do the short daily movement most days and something else a few days a week, but already find it's made a big difference. I'm running with way less niggles - never thought about the importance of training my ankles for example.
    I don't think it would necessary solve your issue but given that a clear structural cause has been ruled it out, they talk a lot about injury, recovery, pain, strength and movement so might be worth having a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I've had 2 long/medium term injuries, both after marathons. The first was an issue with my posterior tibial tendon and the 2nd was an issue with patellofemoral pain syndrome. The first was looked at by physios/surgeons/radiographers etc etc and it couldn't be fixed, I tried everything and I was about to give up, I was physically and mentally drained with it. But then I went to see Anthony Claffey, 2 hours and 200 quid later I was fixed - back running the next day, it was incredible - I don't and didn't want to believe he fixed me so easily and quickly but I couldn't argue with the results, for about a month after I was running with the constant anticipation of the pain returning.

My patellofemoral pain syndrome was sorted by Brian in South Dublin PT. I was seeing a physio in the months prior to going to see Brian and was having no improvements - 4 weeks later I was back to full training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Functional Patterns, based in Donabate.

I've recommended these guys a few time on here.
    Absolutely 2nd to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

If you're willing to travel to the south side then check out Ciaran McDonagh, he's a bloody magician, doesnt string you along for months of treatment like some physios I have had in the past.

https://mac8performance.com/meet-the-team

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ceepo wrote: »

Absolutely 2nd to none.

Ceepo

You seem to be very knowledgeable, have you ever treated a runner with Spondylolisthesis?

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Ceepo wrote: »

Absolutely 2nd to none.

Might give these lads a shout Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Ceepo

You seem to be very knowledgeable, have you ever treated a runner with Spondylolisthesis?

TbL

Thanks, I'm not sure about knowledgeable. As the more I learn, the more I realise how little I know. But that's probably a good thing.

I wouldn't use the term "treated" but I would say I have worked with people with it, some of which were and continue to be athletes.

Advertisement