Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Cooper was NOT funny

Options
124»

Comments

Amusing but not funny. To me the fact that they were laughing as he died suggests the audience weren't hard to please. They were laughing because a man slumped over. How is it funny?

I also think some comedy lasts. I watched fools and horses and red dwarf as a child. I still laugh at fools, not red dwarf so much. I have also shown Seinfeld and only fools to a younger audience and they found them funny albeit a little confused in parts, like the bit relying on not having tech that exists today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Always thought he was a comedian that even though you mightn’t like his act, it’s inoffensive and daft enough that you wouldn’t bother going out of your way to say it. Apparently not.
    I’d put Harry Hill and Tim Vine in that category too. I can see why people wouldn’t like their acts but can’t see why anyone would hate on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Amusing but not funny. To me the fact that they were laughing as he died suggests the audience weren't hard to please. They were laughing because a man slumped over. How is it funny?

Your comment about the audience? Condescending in the extreme.
    He was totally unpredictable. He was a visual comic. Falling down was part of his act.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I also think some comedy lasts. I watched fools and horses and red dwarf as a child. I still laugh at fools, not red dwarf so much. I have also shown Seinfeld and only fools to a younger audience and they found them funny albeit a little confused in parts, like the bit relying on not having tech that exists today.

You're looking at something from 30 years ago out of context. People didn't know at the time he was dying but you did and that makes a difference.

He had such a presence at the time and was so famous that he had people laughing all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

A lot of the older comedians were of their time. Cooper, Harry Worth, Benny Hill, Wilfred Bramwell and Harty H Corbett .(Steptoe and son)
    All very talented, good timing . Every joke didnt have to be about irritable bowel syndrome or premature ejaculation!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Edgware wrote: »
    A lot of the older comedians were of their time. Cooper, Harry Worth, Benny Hill, Wilfred Bramwell and Harty H Corbett .(Steptoe and son)
    All very talented, good timing . Every joke didnt have to be about irritable bowel syndrome or premature ejaculation!

Tommy Cooper was a great Man, Brother and Master and loved throughout the world. He gave massive amounts of money to charity. So Mote It Be. Jokes like those would have been abhorrent to a man of his character.

We will not see his like again and we are all the poorer for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As a child I didn't get it as an adult I do. This tells you as much about me as him :)

Edgware wrote: »

Still very funny today. Good writing and acting will always stand the test of time.

murpho999 wrote: »
    You're looking at something from 30 years ago out of context. People didn't know at the time he was dying but you did and that makes a difference.

He had such a presence at the time and was so famous that he had people laughing all the time.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I don't think I accused them off laughing at a man dying did I?

Simple reality, he slumped over and this was for some reason, hilarious .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

He's iconic. With the Fez, what an awesome sight he was. It was a different time and is subjective obviously but at least he was unique, I'd rather one of him than 100 of those idiots on those panel shows trying to be witty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Also him and Jaws from James Bond could have been brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He was funny, shut up.

no the OP is right. He wasn't funny. He was bloody hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I decided I was going to take up yoga. So I rang the yoga instructor.
    I said 'I want to start Yoga lessons'
    She said 'how flexible are you?'
    I said 'I can't make Tuesdays or Thursdays'

ðŸ˜
    I like Tommy Cooper and I'm 40!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

It takes a certain level of intelligence to get Seinfeld, and it takes a certain level of stupidity to get tommy cooper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SpielCheck

begbysback wrote: »
    It takes a certain level of intelligence to get Seinfeld, and it takes a certain level of stupidity to get tommy cooper.

Booh

begbysback wrote: »

I like both, so how does that work? Things can be funny in different ways you know.

Stop being so smug and superior and let people enjoy what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

murpho999 wrote: »
    I like both, so how does that work? Things can be funny in different ways you know.

Stop being so smug and superior and let people enjoy what they want.

Steady on there chief, put the noose down. The majority of people will get Seinfeld straight away, but won’t get tommy cooper until they get older.

Therefore we are all knowing from the outset, and get dumber as time passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

elperello wrote: »
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Ah yes. Confucius, of course!

Advertisement