Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Double glazing

Options
  • 26-06-2020 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

I’m looking at upgrading 26 year old windows and maybe including a composite door if the figures allow it.
    Has anyone on here done this lately and if so can you recommend anyone local please?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I’m looking at upgrading 26 year old windows and maybe including a composite door if the figures allow it.
    Has anyone on here done this lately and if so can you recommend anyone local please?

Ive an order gone in for 10 new windows and a new Palladio Front door since the 18th May, I was ready to pull the trigger on these mid March, however Covid19 put pay to that so the order didn't actually go in till May. I'm still not sure when I'll be getting them, but have been told it will be the Summer :)

Anyway, I got a few different companies out to price the job and bar one company, there wasn't a huge amount between them all. I had Jimmy Maher, Cresthaven, Larry Farrell and Bonmahon Joinery all price it for me, In the end I decided to go with Larry Farrell, as he is a family friend and also from the Cork Road, where I grew up myself also. I have seen a few jobs which Larry carried out and they are excellent and from talking to previous customers of his, they all recommended him. A few weeks ago he did tell me that he was totally booked up till at least Oct/Nov now though, so that might rule him out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Just done this recently, getting new windows, front and back door. Got a few quotes. Harris windows on the quay the cheapest and by a decent bit. They did a good job. Very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Just done this recently, getting new windows, front and back door. Got a few quotes. Harris windows on the quay the cheapest and by a decent bit. They did a good job. Very happy with them.

Jimmy Maher has done good work for me in the past, if you are a standard housing estate job with rectangular windows he is worth getting out to quote for you. I did a major renovation on a house with unusually large and oddly shaped windows last year and all of the major players in Waterford including munster joinery wanted no part of it so I brought Cresthaven in. Not cheap since some days I have 9 men on site but they were very good, very professional and could do the job that no-one else could or would.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sevenshades

Westgate Windows did a good clean job for me about 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Bear in mind, if your motivation is make your house warmer, windows are sometimes the most expensive way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 jeepsterboy

Apologies for butting in, but can anyone advise about double glazing versus triple glazing with regard to noise reduction? I'm having an extension built, and the builder has indicated double glazed units from Munster Joinery.

However, I'd consider paying the @15%; extra to up the spec to triple glazed if there was a genuine noise reduction benefit (the extension will be quite close to a busy road).

I'm not concerned about light, heat, etc, just noise at this stage............. So, would triple glazed noticeably soften the distractions of passing traffic or not? [I appreciate there might be 'relative' issues involved in all this, but I'd still like to know if anyone has experience of choosing triple for the reason that I am, and what they now think of that decision].

I'd appreciate any input or advice - many thanks!

Apologies for butting in, but can anyone advise about double glazing versus triple glazing with regard to noise reduction? I'm having an extension built, and the builder has indicated double glazed units from Munster Joinery.

However, I'd consider paying the @15% extra to up the spec to triple glazed if there was a genuine noise reduction benefit (the extension will be quite close to a busy road).

I'm not concerned about light, heat, etc, just noise at this stage............. So, would triple glazed noticeably soften the distractions of passing traffic or not? [I appreciate there might be 'relative' issues involved in all this, but I'd still like to know if anyone has experience of choosing triple for the reason that I am, and what they now think of that decision].

I'd appreciate any input or advice - many thanks!

Triple helps but it is not everything. There are also glass windows designed specially for sound too. Installation of the window is a big thing. You need a very neat install with good air tightness detailing. make sure they use airtightness tape and use it properly. Is the room ventilated with a hole in wall vent/trickle vent?

many thanks for getting back with some info. appreciate it.

i'll look into the airtightness tape [never heard of it before] ..... not sure the room will have a vent/hole in the wall (it has a door off it, though, to a study area, and there is a tilt and turn window planned for the extension).

many thanks for getting back with some info. appreciate it.

i'll look into the airtightness tape [never heard of it before] ..... not sure the room will have a vent/hole in the wall (it has a door off it, though, to a study area, and there is a tilt and turn window planned for the extension).

Any kind of hole in the vent or trickle vent will let a lot of sound in. If you really want to nail it for sound proofing, contact a sound proofing company and discuss your detailing with them.

thanks again for this! appreciate you taking the time to write. cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement