Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Something more objective than you pasting cherrypicked links. A study.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Another couple of clips from comedians should do it.

All I can supply for now is the circumstantial evidence mentioned.

And the link on this same site to the same issue being discussed of a progressive democrat Tanaiste.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Link dumps aren't evidence.

Since you've no proof, I am dismissing this as debunked.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh I'm here to laugh at Nazis and enjoy the communal ridicule or shaming thereof; I'm completely upfront about my intentions. As are most here. I presume you'll get bored of whatever This is eventually, but you said your peace about a half-century posts ago by your own words - so again, doctor heal thyself. Me, I'm here to enjoy myself.

It's some reach when even dressing like a Nazi doesn't stir a degree of intellectual curiousity mind you. Maybe think about that for a second.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You’re the one complaining about word usage and I’m being sensitive? Brilliant!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Youre free to have your opinion. I have mine, based on my own observations, and also on artists publically professing the same observations. I can click on any number of media personalities youtube videos and see the comments which helped me to form my opinion. You meanwhile have ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Using YouTube personalities to determine anything, isn't very effective. By that logic, Andrew Tate and Jordan Peterson are sages of our time cause they are popular on social media. You came into the discussion to rant about people being called Nazis while ignoring the kind of people who are being discussed.

• Advertisement

When you got sarcastic earlier, it undermined your credibility. I don't care about whatever cherrypicked links you paste here. No proof means it can be dismissed as untrue.

H. H. Asquith

I mean I showed you Jeremy Corbyn being compared to Goering. And a prog-dem Tanaiste being called a nazi.

If I had the time and fcks to give I could probably find James OBrian being called a nazi.

Is Peterson a nazi? Who are some high profile nazis in your opinion. I need a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

There was a thread a few weeks back where somebody asked if Richard Boyd Barrett was the worst person in history. The fact there are dumbasses on the internet doesn't make it suddenly irrelevant to draw parallels between modern figures and that of the likes of Nazis....

And there are plenty of figures in politics that absolutely earn that comparison. Eg the ones calling for the drowning of refugees or proposing sending refugees to Rwanda...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - OK thread has gone majorly off topic. Can we get back to discussing the actual subject of the op please?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In an effort to get back on track (as per mod request) what do we think of their prospects in the local elections which will take place before the General Election?

People are (probably correctly, hopefully correctly) dismissive of their chances in a GE but locals can be very different. They appear to be active in quite a lot of wards. Do we expect another blank, something in the 0-5 seat range, or something in the *10+ range which would entitle them to funding, party political broadcasts, subsequent media time in a GE.

(* I'm not exactly sure how many seats they'd need to be entitled to a voice/funding going forward).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Somewhere between zero and none: there hasn't been a single concerted example that demonstrates the Irish electorate have an appetite for a Hard Right party - heck they have barely showed interest in a standard Right Wing party like Renua before I'd give something like the National Party a shot.

Going twice over for the point I'd daresay the calibre of candidates they'll find to run in the first place will be ... well. Let's say they'll be known to the various communities.

I'd say if Renua under Lucinda Creighton couldn't get anywhere, it's hard to see this group of clowns winning anything. A lot of people will find people like Nigel Farage amusing enough but they'll stop far short of investing real power in them.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 39,663 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Leave the EU, bring back the death penalty and send women back to 1980s.

Can't imagine that being a substantial vote getter TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭scottser

'Ireland is for the Irish', they say.

So, what kind of Irish people? Celtic? Viking? Gaelic? Norman? What if you were born here and your parents were immigrants? What if you are an Irish passport holder that's lived abroad for most of your life? What if you qualify for the Irish football team on the granny rule?

Barrett, according to google, is an English derivative of the French name 'Brat' or 'Baret'. That slimy prick's ancestors were serial emigrators.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

"Active" is a very nuanced thing at the local level.

They are not "active" in the way that prospective councilors usually are - They aren't helping people navigate the system to get access to resources etc.

They aren't sending out flyers telling people about their entitlements or working to get that pothole fixed etc.

Each and every one of their candidates will be among the first eliminated in the counts.

If any of them are still there after the 2nd or 3rd count I'd be shocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'd be pleasantly surprised if its zero. Some wards can end up with 10 candidates for 7 seats with the quota being <1000 votes (and the 'elected without reaching a quota' figure far less than this). If they target well I'd expect them to get 'some' seats.

edit @quin. Yes I'd agree they aren't active in the 'Saturday estate clean-up, petition to get traffic lights at the school' sort of way that normally leads to a council seat. It's a very different form of activism alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Augme

I have absolutely no faith that NP supporters wood even be arsed to turn up and vote for them in any election. Thankfully. If they get one Councillor I think that would be a good success for them.

Oh this has amused me since the first days I ever heard an ethno-nationalist blather on about "Ireland for the Irish" (or national variations thereof). As you point out, most caucasian races including ours are a chaotic mix of other ethnicities across the centuries, the term is just ludicruous at any sensible level of consideration.

Of course, what these bigoted little fúcks really mean is "no brown people or muslims", potentially including HP Lovecraft levels of racism if they're against Slavic peoples n' all. Cos I can be damn sure in these idiots' heads, just being born here doesn't allow you to be Irish if your skin colour is the wrong kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's upto date for 2020 yes.

Re NP elections. There is an outside chance they might possibly pick up maybe a couple of Council seats nationally and beyond that I don't see any TD possibilities.

James Reynolds for example got 983 votes in 2020 GE. If they were very specifically concentrated in 1 area he might have a possible chance of taking a seat in Longford Co Co.

I expect that probably though SF will hoover up every possibility of council seats the NP might be contending though.

I think myself they won't win any council seats in 2024 locals but Reynolds may be not far off a sear.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

James Reynolds is an incoherent halfwit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

"send women back to 1980s"

You are three decades ahead there

Post edited by I.R.Y.E.D on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,210 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Not a bar to being elected. In fact it seems to be a positive Boon to some

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

983 votes could easily get a person elected to a council seat. There are many many incoherent halfwit councillors in Ireland.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,596 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

clampedusa threadbanned

Advertisement