Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Octopus: an amazing animal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

ShimSlady wrote: »
    I don't know what mermaids you've been hanging out with but any mermaids I have met use seashells as bra's

Why can't I find the glory hole on my mermaid, there's nothing down there unless its camouflaged, unless I caught a dud and no its not a dude, (actually do mermaids have beards to help them sort out the food).
    Has anybody successfully bred with their mermaid yet? Actually thinking of the mermaid beard I think I got a merman. I suppose I'll have to put him back into the sea. Bah humbug

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

ShimSlady wrote: »
    I don't know what mermaids you've been hanging out with but any mermaids I have met use seashells as bra's

And the reason they use seashells is because they grow out of their B-shell bras.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

And of course the Beatles had a song called Octopus's Garden, sung by Ringo...

I had a cuddly red and yellow octopus as my "teddy bear" back in the late 1970s. I called him Ollie. I still have him! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Kylta wrote: »
    I bet the brain doesn't taste like doughnut. I either at squid or octopus in the Caribbean years ago, not sure which one wasn't my thing, it was very chewy if I recall.
    I wonder if there's a special way of cooking them?

I've eaten it a few times, not for me either, I described it like eating a rubber band deep fried in batter, i have some Spanish friends and they are all mad for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I've eaten it a few times, not for me either, I described it like eating a rubber band deep fried in batter, i have some Spanish friends and they are all mad for it!

They might taste a bit better if you boiled them into some sort of coddle or maybe a chowder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭moonage

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Exceptionally clever and intelligent animals, octopi have been shown to be able to solve puzzles

:eek:

But do we really need 'em?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

They might taste a bit better if you boiled them into some sort of coddle or maybe a chowder

Octocoddle? Coddlepus? Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had an octopus attach itself to my arm once when scuba diving in Malta. Luckily we were only about 5 or 6 metres down and I got him off without trouble or an ink squirt.Was still pretty freaky at the time as panicing when diving easily ends up in drowning. The purpose of the dive was to see a statue of the Virgin Mary which was lying just off a boat pier, some one had dropped her in by accident when loading onto a boat and shes remained there underwater ever since. Funnily enough there was an octopus attached to her face, I still have a photo of it some where

I bet the brain doesn't taste like doughnut. I either at squid or octopus in the Caribbean years ago, not sure which one wasn't my thing, it was very chewy if I recall.
    I wonder if there's a special way of cooking them?

The cooking of octopus and squid is often messed up by chefs. If you overcook it by even 20 or 30 seconds it turns to rubber. Theres a really small window of it going from undercooked to cooked to rubber and chefs often pull it too late, hence the rubbery texture. It doesnt change to the eye when its cooking so whats needed is a stopwatch, not guesswork.

Scallops are another seafood often overcooked and ruined. Squid also needs to be tenderised by being bashed with a meat mallet before cooking and chefs skip this step too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

JupiterKid wrote: »

Exceptionally clever and intelligent animals, octopi :

Octopi is not the plural for octopus. The changing of the -us suffix to -i applies to words of Latin origin only, ie, radius, cactus.

If you wanted to be pedantic, octopus is of Greek origin so the plural would be octopedos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Renegadema

Anyone watch my octopus teacher on Netflix? Would recommend.

Are there sea forests/kelp forests in shallow pools on the Irish coast? Do divers go there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Fantastic creatures I agree.
    Would anyone like to put up an argument as to why they shouldn't be eaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Slideways

Renegadema wrote: »
    Anyone watch my octopus teacher on Netflix? Would recommend.

Are there sea forests/kelp forests in shallow pools on the Irish coast? Do divers go there?

I saw it. Am part of a pretty decent sized dive community and all agree there’s some artistic licence being used for the filming.

See them on nearly every dive here and they are very inquisitive if you give them a chance to get used to your presence. I think they’re awesome and cuttlefish too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yes they are quite intelligent and have the fastest typing speed know to man.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Pulpo a la gallega ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

the mimic octopus

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yep they truly are an amazing an almost alien like creature. There was a programme on T V not so long ago can't remember which channel think it was BBC that had someone who brought one into his house and studied it along with his daughter. It was amazing to see how intelligent it is. He also studied how it acted different if you done something good or bad to it and gave it bottle I think it was to open. Truly are amazing creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I love them too. They are fascinating creatures!

There's no way i could bring myself to eat one, it would be like eating a monkey, or a dolphin.

Advertisement