Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accurate weighing scales

Options
  • 24-06-2020 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend accurate weighing scales?

I don't use a gym, so I can't just use the ones there. (I have weights at home that are largely unused.)

The ones we have seem to be very inaccurate and inconsistent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Is it for measuring body weight? How accurate do you need it to be? Any normal weighing scales should be more than sufficient unless you are involved in competitive boxing, MMA etc.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4828501.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Is it for measuring body weight? How accurate do you need it to be? Any normal weighing scales should be more than sufficient unless you are involved in competitive boxing, MMA etc.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4828501.htm
    Nothing competitive. Just trying to see if I am losing/gaining weight on a week by week basis.
    The measurements at the doctor were a good bit higher than our scales at home for both me and my wife.
    Also the measurements on the scales are pretty inconsistent (more than just normal variation due to hydration etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You should use your scales on a hard floor, stand in the same position every time, make sure batteries are fresh if digital. If you have a heavy object you can test it if you think it is going wayward.

Also bring the scales to your doctors next time, if his is properly calibrated you can check the difference. Unless your weight changes dramatically the offset will be about the same. i.e. if he says 80kg and your scale says 78kg add 2kg to your home readings in future.

I weigh with no clothes at home, but with clothes in the doctors, about a 2.5kg difference. Just making sure you did not overlook that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nothing competitive. Just trying to see if I am losing/gaining weight on a week by week basis.
    The measurements at the doctor were a good bit higher than our scales at home for both me and my wife.
    Also the measurements on the scales are pretty inconsistent (more than just normal variation due to hydration etc).

Okay cool. Then I'd suggest maybe just buying a new scales like the one I linked in my previous post. You don't need anything more expensive.

I find that weighing myself once/twice per week at a specified time is the best approach, e.g., first thing on a Monday morning just before I have a shower. After a few weeks of measurements you should start getting a good handle on what your weight is. If you measure yourself too often, you'll just drive yourself crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Okay cool. Then I'd suggest maybe just buying a new scales like the one I linked in my previous post. You don't need anything more expensive.

I find that weighing myself once/twice per week at a specified time is the best approach, e.g., first thing on a Monday morning just before I have a shower. After a few weeks of measurements you should start getting a good handle on what your weight is. If you measure yourself too often, you'll just drive yourself crazy.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking wrt frequency, but I read an article in the guardian saying that it's not enough data. Better to measure every day and then compare weekly averages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

rubadub wrote: »
    You should use your scales on a hard floor, stand in the same position every time, make sure batteries are fresh if digital. If you have a heavy object you can test it if you think it is going wayward.

Adding my own anecdote. My scales used to appear to be randomly off by a few kg. Turns out, stacking it on it's side and storing it behind a cupboard was affecting the accuracy. Storing it flat sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah that's what I was thinking wrt frequency, but I read an article in the guardian saying that it's not enough data. Better to measure every day and then compare weekly averages.

It depends really. Some people become so invested in and affected by what the scale says that it's a mind-fúck to be doing it every day.

But it's a fair point, if you're alright with it, to weigh every day and take an average because there will be fluctuations and doing once a week, you might be at the bottom or top of a temporary fluctuation at that particular point in time and that will give you a slightly false impression of where you're at.

As an aside, I weigh a kettlebell before myself when I use it so that it's sort of calibrated. Whether or not the absolute number is out doesn't matter (unless you're doing a comp) but the trend does.

It depends really. Some people become so invested in and affected by what the scale says that it's a mind-fúck to be doing it every day.
    While I do weight myself my real test is how I fit in a old pair of well washed non stretchy jeans.

When I lost fat before I weighed the same for months, presumably building muscle and losing fat at the same slow rate. I was making new notches in my belt every so often so knew I was losing.

While I do weigh myself my real test is how I fit in a old pair of well washed non stretchy jeans.

When I lost fat before I weighed the same for months, presumably building muscle and losing fat at the same slow rate. I was making new notches in my belt every so often so knew I was losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rubadub wrote: »
    While I do weigh myself my real test is how I fit in a old pair of well washed non stretchy jeans.

Yep. You'll see threads where someone is focussed on the number on the scale that despite clothes fitting better they're somehow disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I read an article in the guardian saying that it's not enough data. Better to measure every day and then compare weekly averages.
    That’s what I do. Record daily and plot the tread rather that the fixate on the results.

Weekly is fine, but there’s a bigger risk that progress would be hidden by variation.

Advertisement