Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen cabinets

• 24-06-2020 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to find out about the cabinets that sit on the kitchen floor. We got ours from Cash and Carry kitchens 20 years ago and I think they sit on plastic legs with a thin piece of ply hiding the underneath. The problem we've had during the winter, is that it's been an obvious hiding place for furry visitors, especially with the tiled floor leaving gaps for them to slip through where the grout is.

We're finally renovating the kitchen including new floor etc.

My question is are all the kitchen cabinets hollow underneath ? Or, are there other options ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Pretty much all kitchen cabinets sit on legs with a plinth (kicker) in front. Typically legs would be 150mm high.

If it were me I'd be looking to stop the critters. Putting the cabinets directly on the floor would surely just encourage them to explore inside the cabinets instead.

You could theoretically get off-standard cabinets made with off-standard doors to suit. Expect such a kitchen to cost 50% - 100% more than a comparable kitchen using standard sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Graham wrote: »
    Pretty much all kitchen cabinets sit on legs with a plinth (kicker) in front. Typically legs would be 150mm high.

If it were me I'd be looking to stop the critters. Putting the cabinets directly on the floor would surely just encourage them to explore inside the cabinets instead.

You could theoretically get off-standard cabinets made with off-standard doors to suit. Expect such a kitchen to cost 50% - 100% more than a comparable kitchen using standard sizes.

Thanks, Graham, I feared that would be the case. We got a dog last year and she's a super sniffer. She gave us the indication that we had the issue again, not helped by having the old suspended floors, so it's just not possible to seal every inch of it. Having the dog and food in her bowl probably doesn't help either.

One option I was thinking of, was to put a 2x1 siliconed & fixed to the ground, on the inside of that kicker, and tightly screw the kicker to it. That would allow access if necessary. Another was to fill the space behind the kicker with MDF.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You could look at floating style kitchens.

Typically these would sit on chrome legs or timber corner posts with no plinth/kicker. Nowhere for the critters to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If the new floor is done properly, nothing should get in from underneath, do you have block or timber frame walls

Graham wrote: »
    You could look at floating style kitchens.

Typically these would sit on chrome legs or timber corner posts with no plinth/kicker. Nowhere for the critters to hide.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

• Advertisement

If the new floor is done properly, nothing should get in from underneath, do you have block or timber frame walls

Yes, that was a big part of the problem. The grout between the tile was a lot wider that I saw subsequently, leaving clear gaps , and that tiled floor is going to taken up as well. We have Block walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Ok so seen a kitchen done at a glance,was told it was wrapped,i looked in to a few companys doing it,they asked for pics of kitchen,then gave quotes,has anyone got this done,dies it turn out fine?i have even had one person tell me it was impossible to do and if so it would not last.has anyone had it done,anyhow cheers in advance for any input

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

Hi OP! While removing old our old cabinets for the kitchen renovation, we noticed some remnants and evidence of furry pests and bugs in the crevices. We very much like to avoid the same scenario again. What solution did you go with? Did it affect the overall look of your kitchen? We already planned our kitchen design with Caesarstone countertops and backsplash. Do we need to tell the fabricators that we'll modify the countertops again? Looking forward to your reply!

Advertisement