Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorsat technical changes - 1st July 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Deleted entire satelite settings and reinstalled.
    When inputting frequency, humax only allows 5 digits, therefore 20192 instead of 20192.500 .
    Would this be the cause?
    Thanks

You have to enter the 10758.
    I tested the previous frequency last month on an HDR1010s. Only worked by adding a transponder as if it's Ku. the HDR1010s now goes to a purple screen unless unplugged for a while so it's been replaced with a Manhatten SX for Freesat Interactive and a Redline M440HD for freesat + other sats inc Saorsat without interactive.

I was under the impression it was intended as a backup feed to transmitters.

Yes, they used to have a Sky contract. FTA KaSat is much cheaper. This change can't be saving much.
    People should complain in writing to UPC/Virgin and the BAI. Any National TV or NATIONAL radio licence in the State ought to be Must Carry on the RTENL transponder or whatever future FTA satellite that RTENL uses. Also Sky ought to be paying handsomely for the Irish Content on their platform which would more than fund the cost of Saorsat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Read somewhere they used car wax on lnb and dish.
    Water did adhere to the surface. Might help

It's all the rain between the dish and the clouds in the direction of the Satellite is the problem, not the dish or LNB being wet.
    One advantage of the Offset Dish is that snow doesn't collect on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Ok. Got it.
    Did reset to clear channels list.
    Thanks a million for all the help.

Its a foxsat box with Raydon software

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

Ah very good.

I have Raydon's firmware on a Foxsat too. You can put the Saorsat RTEs on to the same list as the freesat channels with that software.
    Saves you having to change to non-freesat mode.

Though you have to undo that function if you need to delete them.

Maybe that was part of your problem.

Still going great, that box, with very few hiccups.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Since the symbol rate has halved I haven't bothered retuning yet.

Halving the bandwidth means there ain't much chance of TG4 going HD anytime soon. :mad:
    So I'll have to watch BBC and RTE on the off chance they show some of the programs in HD there.

Frequency: Currently 20190.0Mhz changing to 20192.5MHz
    Symbol Rate: Currently 25000 changing to 12500
    FEC: Currently 2/3 changing to 5/6

https://www.2rn.ie/broadcast/saorsat-digital-television/

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Since the symbol rate has halved I haven't bothered retuning yet.

Halving the bandwidth means there ain't much chance of TG4 going HD anytime soon. :mad:
    So I'll have to watch BBC and RTE on the off chance they show some of the programs in HD there.

I did email TG4 and they said they had no intention of going HD on Saorsat.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Yogomeysl wrote: »
    Nearly identical numbers here. I contacted 2rn on Friday about it. They are going to check the signal in areas. As kindly mentioned in a previous post, changing the error correction to a less robust one is causing problems for people who are on borderline signal strength.

Log every outage, might be the only way to get some action on it.

Are they receptive to queries being raised?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

marclt wrote: »
    I did email TG4 and they said they had no intention of going HD on Saorsat.
    The difference is now there isn't room even if they and Virginmedia wanted to :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Yogomeysl

marclt wrote: »
    Log every outage, might be the only way to get some action on it.

Are they receptive to queries being raised?

Yes indeed. When I spoke to them they were very helpful and seemed genuinely eager to resolve any problems. I double checked my dish alignment and it's bang on. From my experience, an 80 cm is no longer feasible for receiving Saorsat. The signal is now borderline stable. It's a pity, as before there were no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭John896

Since the technical changes my signal is still the same here,in Swansea using a 1.2m dish good signal at 85%.And on my 2.4m dish 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'm finding that the setup for the Mutant HD51 is dropping out whereas the LG TV is staying consistent.
    The LG TV uses the fake frequency whereas the HD51 uses the real frequency.

Any ideas as to why this might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

I'm finding that the setup for the Mutant HD51 is dropping out whereas the LG TV is staying consistent.
    The LG TV uses the fake frequency whereas the HD51 uses the real frequency.

Any ideas as to why this might be?

I think people have had to use attenuators with some LG TVs, on 28 east, as the tuners are apparently very sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Inmet99

On the whole dish size thing, I have an old dish I bought in Lidl, 80cm in height, but 70cm in width. What is the actual "size" of the dish, given a different length and width?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Inmet99 wrote: »
    On the whole dish size thing, I have an old dish I bought in Lidl, 80cm in height, but 70cm in width. What is the actual "size" of the dish, given a different length and width?

You have a 80cm dish

and so less than 24hrs later wind and rain has caused us to drop the signal. :mad:

Dry day here, but a bit blustery and the signal has been dropping out on the mutant hd51 but is fine on the LG TV.
    I would have expected the opposite.

The hd51 had two Si2166D tuners and uses the real transponder whereas the LG TV just uses its internal runners and the fake 10758 frequency.

Any ideas as to what I could do to improve reception at the Hd51? It is a new dish and securely attached.

Dry day here, but a bit blustery and the signal has been dropping out on the mutant hd51 but is fine on the LG TV.
    I would have expected the opposite.

The hd51 had two Si2166D tuners and uses the real transponder whereas the LG TV just uses its internal runners and the fake 10758 frequency.

Neither of them tune to the broadcast frequency; they're tuning to the LNB output, which is a much lower frequency. What you enter in the tuning menu is just a means to an end, nothing 'real' or 'fake' about it.

Here's a previous thread dealing with LG TVs & tuner sensitivity:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113011528

The LG TV is fine. The problem is the HD51.

The LG TV is fine. The problem is the HD51.

Yes, I was just speculating that the LG would be better with a weak signal, going by others' experience.

You'll probably just need a bigger dish to get anything else to work.

• Advertisement

I tell a lie - it is both. I've just managed to check the LG tv when the HD51 was down and the LG was down too.

Would the multiswitch be part of the problem here - I did look at the spec and it has 0dB insertion loss for a sat input. But would there be something else at play here? Both the HD51 and the LG obtain their input signal from the Multiswitch.

Would a signal amplifier do anything here?

Typical domestic installs have no need for amplification over what the LNB provides. (You say your switch compensates for its own losses.)

Signal quality is another matter, & I've seen it recommended that a multiswitch be paired with a dish 'one size up' from what would otherwise be used, to make up for the extra electrical noise introduced by the switch.

Typical domestic installs have no need for amplification over what the LNB provides. (You say your switch compensates for its own losses.)

Signal quality is another matter, & I've seen it recommended that a multiswitch be paired with a dish 'one size up' from what would otherwise be used, to make up for the extra electrical noise introduced by the switch.

This is the switch: EMP Centauri MS9/8

The spec says 0db loss for sat inputs (if I've read it correctly).

The LG TV and the HD51 both get their inputs via the multiswitch (I might not have made this clear previously) so for some reason the HD51 is unable to pick the signal as well. I had expected it to be opposite as i paid more to upgrade the tuners in the HD51.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

Funkey , are you using 2 separate dishes for your setup, rather than a multi-bracket on a single dish? 2 dishes would of course be better . I'm guessing you are.

What size is your Saorsat dish?

N. E. Antrim may be a little on the outscirts of the best reception area to begin with.

I too have read somewhere that you may need the next size up dish, for
    a multi switch, (and an Octo LNB). Maybe you could bypass it just as a test.

You may have to bite the bullet, and go for a bigger one.

I think needing even a minimum 80cm is a bit crazy to start with, but that's the way it is.

Delta Lima wrote: »
    Funkey , are you using 2 separate dishes for your setup, rather than a multi-bracket on a single dish? 2 dishes would of course be better . I'm guessing you are.
    Yes, 2 separate dishes
    What size is your Saorsat dish?
    90cm. Installer does the whole area and beyond and said it was fine - and so it was until this change.
    N. E. Antrim may be a little on the outscirts of the best reception area to begin with.
    Never really had an issue before with coverage unless the heavens had opened.
    I too have read somewhere that you may need the next size up dish, for
    a multi switch, (and an Octo LNB). Maybe you could bypass it just as a test.
    Yes, I'll try that first.
    You may have to bite the bullet, and go for a bigger one.

I think needing even a minimum 80cm is a bit crazy to start with, but that's the way it is.

So, that would be a 1.1m Triax @ ~£100.

So what's going on here.
    I tried direct access to the lnb from the hd51 - no improvement, fair enough.

However when I went to revert I can't pick up saorsat on the transponder I created.
    But if I create a user defined one with same values only with right circular polarisation I get the signal.
    Left circular doesn't work.

What has happened!

So what's going on here.
    I tried direct access to the lnb from the hd51 - no improvement, fair enough.

However when I went to revert I can't pick up saorsat on the transponder I created.
    But if I create a user defined one with same values only with right circular polarisation I get the signal.
    Left circular doesn't work.

What has happened!

You must have reconnected the LNB to a horizontal switch input, so the receiver has to look for a right handed signal?

You must have reconnected the LNB to a horizontal switch input, so the receiver has to look for a right handed signal?

Connected to VL and HL. Same as previous. Only need VL but I stick in HL too to keep it tidy, has no effect.

It would appear the connection to VL has failed.

• Advertisement

How would that have happened?
    This Saorsat update is rapidly getting very expensive if I now need a new multiswitch as well as a bigger dish.

Advertisement