Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies Decide: The Greatest Father Ted Character.... EVER

1202122232426»

Comments

I think Len is a better 'character' but to act the role of Ted is probably much harder.. if that makes sense.

I'm not changing my mind, i voted for Len earlier because he gave me more laughs per screen time.

I don’t care.
    I had my fun and that’s all that matters. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Ted gets the vote as he made Dick Byrne say "Bollocks" very loudly in front of President Mary Robinson, after he lost the darts competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Ted - I think he's a far more complicated character than Len. As someone said earlier he's everyman, he's who most people identify with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Len

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I'm voting for Len.......sorry, Bishop Brennan.

S03E06-wN2BfWuW-subtitled.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

FR TED

Simply put without Ted we never would have had Father Ted and Dermot Morgan was fantastic as the main man, where Jack got tiresome in some scenes and got too much exposure in the series every scene with Ted was a laugh. Len Brennan was very good but a long way off Ted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Has to be Ted. Iconic character and some hilarious lines

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I have already voted (Ted)... for some reason the scene is in my head now where he is pretending to know what Polly Clarke is talking about.
    His facial expressions always said so much. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Ted

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well the show is called Father Ted, not Bishop Len, so there really can only be one winner

EnchantingDisloyalIzuthrush.webp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Seven Septs

Zaph wrote: »
    Well the show is called Father Ted, not Bishop Len, so there really can only be one winner

But shur what's the point in having the competition if only the character in the title can win it:confused::confused:

Ted winning on the merit of his character, which he will, is fair enough. However if the show was called 'The Brick' and the brick won because the show was called 'The Brick', not Fr. Ted i'd be a bit disappointed in people's rationale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

But shur what's the point in having the competition if only the character in the title can win it:confused::confused:

Ted winning on the merit of his character, which he will, is fair enough. However if the show was called 'The Brick' and the brick won because the show was called 'The Brick', not Fr. Ted i'd be a bit disappointed in people's rationale.

The Brick should've one this one... :rolleyes:

I definitely agree with you though.

I think Ted already has this (deservedly) sewn up so I'll cast my vote for Bishop Brennan to make the scoreline more respectable. Fantastic character that had a lot of impact despite only being in three episodes. Perfectly scripted and acted. Nobody has ever said the word 'Gdansk' with as much panache as Bishop Brennan. :D

"And as for this.....CABBAGE"

Ted: "Your Grace, this isn't really my area"
    Bishop Brennan: "Nothing is your area, Crilly. You do not have an area. Unless it's a kind of a play area with sandcastles and buckets and spades"

"If you ever try to bullshít me like that again, I will rip off your arms."

"Crilly, come here to me.....I hate you."

Mrs Doyle: "I thought I should tell you - your car is parked outside."
    Bishop Brennan: "Yes I know it is, I parked it there myself."

"Ah, the kraken awakes."

"YOU ADDRESS ME BY MY PROPER TITLE, YOU LITTLE BOLLOCKS."

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

But Ted is the title character for the simple reason that he's the best character in it. Bishop Brennan is brilliant and often the funniest character in the episodes he's in, but Ted is consistently the funniest character when you consider all episodes taken together. Obviously what I thought was implied in my post clearly wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Seven Septs

Zaph wrote: »
    But Ted is the title character for the simple reason that he's the best character in it. Bishop Brennan is brilliant and often the funniest character in the episodes he's in, but Ted is consistently the funniest character when you consider all episodes taken together. Obviously what I thought was implied in my post clearly wasn't.

No. He's the title character for the reason that the show revolves around him. That's different from the best character. He gets more air time because of this.

Take Dallas it's main character initially was Jock, his feud with the Barnes, how he interacted with his family. However, in many people's opinion, JR quickly became the best 'character'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I posted this in the best comedy character thread:
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Just looking through those already contested. Isn't it funny how often the side characters are the funniest. Eg:

Will & Grace - neither nominated
    Seinfeld - all three of the others nominated, but not the main guy
    Fresh Prince of Bel Air - the uncle, the cousin and the butler nominated, but not the main guy
    That 70s Show - argubaly about Eric and Donna, but two side characters nominated
    Cheers - no Sam, Dianne or Rebecca
    Boy Meets World - the neighbour / teacher, but not the main cast
    How I Met Your Mother - not Ted
    Scrubs - not JD
    Roseanne - not Roseanne

Obviously not in all cases, but it did seem like a lot of them.

I don't think it's a given that the title character is the best character.

Not saying if it is or is not the case with Fr Ted. Democracy will tell, but for anyone voting for Ted, vote because he's the best character, not because his name is in the title of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭thelostboys23

Vote for Ted.

Called our dog Ted after visiting the house on a trip to Clare a couple of years ago...actually in the middle of nowhere bug got the obligatory photo at the gates

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I think Ted is likely to be a very deserving winner, but I'm casting my vote for Len. He vastly improves the episodes he's in and his funny lines are delivered perfectly - I can never see Gdansk written anywhere without hearing his voice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The votes have been counted and the decision very clear....

The winner of the Best Father Ted Character contest...

Fr. Ted Crilly!!!

?width=256&version=2392053

An inevitable but fair result in the end in my humble opinion.

Just er… let's not ask him for an acceptance speech, agreed?

C0WjfAQWIAA-vvd.jpg

For the record the final scoreline was

Ted 18 - 8 Bishop Brennan

A respectable scoreline for Len indeed against the titular character tbf.

Thank you all for taking part, and I hope you enjoyed this contest as much as I did running it :D

Well done Necro on a great battle thread

To those of you who participated throughout, you all have lovely bottoms and it was a pleasure doing battle with you till next time :P

PS- battle of kick ass action cops currently taking place also in the forum if anyone interested in hopping over there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Great fun, Necro!
    Thanks again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Still think it should have been Fr Deegan that won :P.

Well done Necro! Good game, good game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,484 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So many great characters both minor and major, thanks Necro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Great job Necro. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A great tournament with a fantastc winner and a great host. Really hit the spot this contest did. Everyone loves the show and its main cast but seeing some of the minor characters was great.

Thank you Necro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Great tournament Necro, can't argue with the winner even if I would've rather seen Len take the crown

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just to keep your whistles wet, Omackeral is running a Europe VS Rest of the World Club Crest tourney next door:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058089129

Last 16 is kicking off this evening I believe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Great fun had by all, thanks Necro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Good fun Necro

• Advertisement

How did I miss this and how did pat mustard not win

Advertisement