Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

110kg bench at 14 yrs old 75kg bw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

dor843088 wrote: »

*looks at my own PR of 75

yes, yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

that's mighty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Thanks guys appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Cill94

Yep.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

dor843088 wrote:
    Thanks guys appreciate it!

Is it you?

I know one of the girls on my team benches 110KGs, she's quite strong..

• Advertisement

tedpan wrote: »
    Is it you?

I know one of the girls on my team benches 110KGs, she's quite strong..

Not me no , my son. My bench is a wee bit bigger .

Hows your own bench ?
    What team is this ?

I managed 125kg at 80kg body weight.... But I was 38 :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

dor843088 wrote:
    Hows your own bench ? What team is this ?

Very impressive!

Apologies, work colleague. My exercise routine consists of dog walking, opposite of an athlete!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Great lifting! Plus Street Fighter Ken music! Needs to shout “ hadouken!” for the lockout ;)

Great lifting! Plus Street Fighter Ken music! Needs to shout “ hadouken!” for the lockout ;)

Ha ha yea great choice by him there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

that is a strong bench for a young fella - especially considering how narrow his grip is !

The current irish IPF record for a sub-junior (15-18 y/o) at Under 74kg is 132.5kg. So as some one who isn't trained as a powerlifter that is strong

whippet wrote: »
    that is a strong bench for a young fella - especially considering how narrow his grip is !

The current irish IPF record for a sub-junior (15-18 y/o) at Under 74kg is 132.5kg. So as some one who isn't trained as a powerlifter that is strong

As far as I can tell the only fed that has a class specific to his age is the IDFPA ? He is the record holder already in the IDFPA at a 90.5kg press. Obviously he is a lot stronger than that now. I think classing him as a sub junior is slightly unfair since hes competing against 18yo kids/men. But I have a feeling he will break some records in the sub junior in the future hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In terms of raw strength it’s good.

His set up was pretty loose. With some PL specific coaching he could probably add weight immediately.

As far as I can tell the only fed that has a class specific to his age is the IDFPA ? He is the record holder already in the IDFPA at a 90.5kg press. Obviously he is a lot stronger than that now. I think classing him as a sub junior is slightly unfair since hes competing against 18yo kids/men. But I have a feeling he will break some records in the sub junior in the future hopefully.

the 90.5kg is a full power record - the T2 single lift bench press record at that weight is 115kg.

Its a bit surreal looking at the IDPFA website - you'd almost forget they still exist !

whippet wrote: »
    the 90.5kg is a full power record - the T2 single lift bench press record at that weight is 115kg.

Its a bit surreal looking at the IDPFA website - you'd almost forget they still exist !

Hes only 14 so he has a year left to take that record as well. Then move into the IPF if he wants. Hes a rugby player really not a power lifter but he does enjoy the gym. Gets the odd salty comment tho even from grown men.

Hes only 14 so he has a year left to take that record as well. Then move into the IPF if he wants. Hes a rugby player really not a power lifter but he does enjoy the gym. Gets the odd salty comment tho even from grown men.

Absolutely ... the young fellas playing rugby now have such a great basis in strength it’s unreal. He can power lift for decades after rugby so he has no need to go chasing records when he can enjoy his rugby !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Why such a narrow grip?

It's incredibly strong for a 14 year old and i bet it's a great way for both of ye to bond over something

JJayoo wrote: »
    Why such a narrow grip?

It's incredibly strong for a 14 year old and i bet it's a great way for both of ye to bond over something

I dont think its particularly narrow given that he himself is not very broad at 14. However keeping his shoulders as healthy as possible is a priority so I certainly wouldnt allow him press with a wide grip. A little bit of both I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Might want to bolt down that aul rack chief ;)

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Might want to bolt down that aul rack chief ;)

Been moving some heavy enough weight in it for 20 years. Pretty sure it's ok when used properly .

• Advertisement

Been moving some heavy enough weight in it for 20 years. Pretty sure it's ok when used properly .

I was referring to your own lift when you were racking it that’s all.
    What are your sons other lifts like?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Why does he get salty comments from other men in the gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Esse85

Absolutely phenomenal numbers at that age.

I was referring to your own lift when you were racking it that’s all.
    What are your sons other lifts like?

Squat 125
    Deadlift 160

I don't let him max on these lifts. Those numbers would be based off a 1rm calculator on his working sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Madra_dubh

Holy moly

Squat 125
    Deadlift 160

I don't let him max on these lifts. Those numbers would be based off a 1rm calculator on his working sets.

Out of curiosity, why let him max out on bench but not squat/deadlift?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Out of curiosity, why let him max out on bench but not squat/deadlift?

probably shouldn't really be maxing anything at that age but if you were going to choose anything if would be bench

great bench for that age and body weight, how long has he been lifting?

bit of leg drive and an arch he could easily stick 10-15kg on that

Dave 101 wrote: »
    probably shouldn't really be maxing anything at that age but if you were going to choose anything if would be bench

great bench for that age and body weight, how long has he been lifting?

bit of leg drive and an arch he could easily stick 10-15kg on that

Been lifting around 18 months. Obviously very light to begin with but he has shocked me tbh at how strong he was getting and how quickly. Iv actually been holding him back quite a bit. Especially on the squat and deadlift

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

very impressive strength at that age. As others mentioned, with a couple of tweaks to his form it looks like he could easily add another few kilos onto that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

Impressive! this kid is going have his manchesticles up on his chin soon enough

Advertisement