Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Experience of getting your classic car Spray Painted?

Options
  • 20-06-2020 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Just wondering what your experience is with getting your classic car spray painted?

Have you had a good experience where a propper job was carried out or was it a job that started to show rust after a few years again?

Dont want any naming and shaming, just interested in your experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Whats your angle .....?..plenty of threads about painters and experiences on here already....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DNACC

Whats your angle .....?..plenty of threads about painters and experiences on here already....;)

No angle at all. Just looking to see what peoples experience is.

If people want to share they will, if they don’t they won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DaSchmo

My Capri is just back from the bodyshop rust free again with about 40% of the car re-painted.

Car looks amazing now but I'm under no illusion that the rust won't be back in a couple of years. I've had the car 8 years now and while it's always garaged I use it several times a week in all weather so I know the rust will bubble back up eventually. A (sometimes expensive) trip to the bodyshop every couple of years is just the nature of the beast if you want to actually use a classic car regularly and not have it fall apart underneath or start to look terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Rust is like cancer to a car. Older classic cars will always have it.

I bring my Italian cars to an excellent body repair shop here in Cork for regular chemotherapy; and very happy with the temporary results.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I had a 1979 fiat x19, sold on about 2 years ago, wonderful car but a money pit. Unfortunately the nature of metals used on vintage cars is such that they are prone to rust, also if car has chrome features, these also confound problems. It's painful but a full deep respray, sand blasting and coorect priming is the only solution and critically having dry storage is important. Touching up panels occasionally etc is a waste of money.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 DNACC

Thanks for sharing lads

Ya unless a full bare metal restoration is done then the rust will always come back in spots where the car is prone to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

even then after ~10 years it'll come back in my limited experience; hence why I consider it temporary. Maybe I should stop buying bad cars and get a DeLoren or old Defender or something like that.. :) Best of luck!

Advertisement