Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trigger warning for rail phobes: high speed rail Dublin to Derry

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Yeesh, you really don't want to use the high speed Spainish rail network as a good example of anything but high speed

So the point of that video is that the tickets are subsidised. So what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

All what stations?

You'd think a high speed rail service from Belfast to Cork would minimise the stopping but maximise the connections surely?

Well yes you would think that , but the connections along the route the more stops , and each one will add 5 to 10 mins to the journey time , ( allowing for deceleration from a couple of hundred kph ,dwell time and acceleration again) ,so 6 or 7 stops adds an extra hour of journey time ,
    The conundrum is the less stops the better ,allowing for higher journey times ,which should attract more passengers, but fewer stops also means less connections ,and a smaller "pool " of potential passengers ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Well yes you would think that , but the connections along the route the more stops , and each one will add 5 to 10 mins to the journey time , ( allowing for deceleration from a couple of hundred kph ,dwell time and acceleration again) ,so 6 or 7 stops adds an extra hour of journey time ,
    The conundrum is the less stops the better ,allowing for higher journey times ,which should attract more passengers, but fewer stops also means less connections ,and a smaller "pool " of potential passengers ...

Only 3 or 4 stops needed along the 300km though

cgcsb wrote: »
    So the point of that video is that the tickets are subsidised. So what?

At one point the host exclaims in horror that the network has so far cost 54 billion euros ....
    I bet the finance team for HS2 are crying in their cornflakes listening to that ..
    But it does make the point of under utilization of an expensive asset , and that's between big industrial cities that are longish distances apart ...
    The French are starting to do some more budget style TGV trains , I assume to make it more accessible and up numbers ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

So ,not stopping at the likes of mallow, limerick junction,(ballybrophy and portarlington would be right out ,) just the 1 stop in Dublin ..( no airport stop ? ) And straight on to Belfast ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

If they're worried about uptake they could make an environmentally friendly call and ban internal flights on the peninsula. France and the UK could do likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

What has any of this got to do with the reopening of the station buffet at Clones??

So ,not stopping at the likes of mallow, limerick junction,(ballybrophy and portarlington would be right out ,) just the 1 stop in Dublin ..( no airport stop ? ) And straight on to Belfast ?

Eh no.. there is 300km between Dublin and Cork and about 200 between Dublin and Belfast. Stopping could be Cork-Mallow-Lim Junct-Portarlaoise-Newbridge-Heuston-Airport-Drogheda-Dundalk-Banbridge-Belfast. The current inter city services have more stops than this and don't have the benefit of electric acceleration and high speed capability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Are you just creating arguments to have with yourself?

I would assume the stops from Belfast to Cork would be something ike:

Belfast>Dundalk/Drogheda>Dublin Airport>Port Laoise/Somewhere Midlandy to enable Galway lineconnection.>Cork Northside

Anyway it's all a bit moot.

• Advertisement

Very moot ... And off topic for the thread ,which is about the serious issue of a Dublin / Derry high speed line .. 😂😂😂

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Very moot ... And off topic for the thread ,which is about the serious issue of a Dublin / Derry high speed line .. 😂😂😂

My bad

So..... How many carriages will be dedicated to bikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

My bad

So..... How many carriages will be dedicated to bikes?

Ten :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ten :)

How many Penny Farthings and High Nelly's will we fit in?

How many Penny Farthings and High Nelly's will we fit in?

We’ll have separate carriages for the rare oul bikes and the road Racers. You’ll know the high nelly carriages because they’ll have a settle bed and dresser at one end and a range at the other. The road racer carriage will be upholstered from floor to ceiling in Lycra.

We’ll have separate carriages for the rare oul bikes and the road Racers. You’ll know the high nelly carriages because they’ll have a settle bed and dresser at one end and a range at the other. The road racer carriage will be upholstered from floor to ceiling in Lycra.

I don't know what sort of a savage you are but you don't save yuppie coffee in "delph". Can't we have a Starbucks on board the diner? We can keep the tea local and make them serve Liptons; it should keep the rivet counters happy.

• Advertisement

I don't know what sort of a savage you are but you don't save yuppie coffee in "delph". Can't we have a Starbucks on board the diner? We can keep the tea local and make them serve Liptons; it should keep the rivet counters happy.

Yuppie coffee is an idea, perhaps we can have a yuppie carriage free to enter once you are in a double breasted suit and carry a genuine 1988 Motorola phone. We’ll have tables covered with horizontal mirrors. Everyone else will be barred.

Yuppie coffee is an idea, perhaps we can have a yuppie carriage free to enter once you are in a double breasted suit and carry a genuine 1988 Motorola phone. We’ll have tables covered with horizontal mirrors. Everyone else will be barred.

I have a Max Wall branded Filofax

I have a Max Wall branded Filofax

Ok you’re in :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

galwaytt wrote: »
    I heard they were building a super mini roundabout turntable thing

Like the Thomas the Tank Engine ones, i'd love that, well worth the money.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Like the Thomas the Tank Engine ones, i'd love that, well worth the money.

The Rev A.T. Audrey replies -
    We’ll also have a special tunnel where Bulgy the Bus will be bricked up. And I think he deserves it, don’t you?

• Advertisement

The Rev A.T. Audrey replies -

Like what happened to poor Henry?

ovajbsxh9l441.png

Like what happened to poor Henry?

ovajbsxh9l441.png

The Rev A T Audrey tells me that Henry has been let go but Bulgy has been put in his place instead.

The Rev A T Audrey tells me that Henry has been let go but Bulgy has been put in his place instead.

You don't mean there's a.......

maxresdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

That’s about enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement