Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potentially lethal crotch spiders.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

I put on my trousers one morning, having left them on the floor overnight, and one of them was in the leg. It shot out as I put my foot through...

There is one living in my boiler cupboard right now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

There have been reported cases of these spiders running up the leg of their victim and biting them in the groin/crotch region.

Billy Connolly uses that as an excuse for masturbation

Can anyone describe it without pictures? Not a feckin hope I'm opening those articles, they'll be full of pictures (and yes, I will report anyone who responds with a picture, however I'm currently on a VPN which seems to block images, so should be ok...)

They have a big shiny arse (not the correct word). Our native spiders are more hairy and thier arses are more in proportion to the head bit. They really are distinctive.

My house and garden are riddled with them. Indeed we have both types of invasive flat worms too.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Fratello wrote: »
    My house and garden are riddled with them. Indeed we have both types of invasive flat worms too.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

fryup wrote: »
    Billy Connolly uses that as an excuse for masturbation

What excuse do you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Genie in a bottle : Purple Mountain, you have one wish.
    What's it gonna be? Money? Fame? Invincible powers?

Purple Mountain : Ummm, can I be a crotch spider for day?

:D

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Brian? wrote: »
    Great name for a punk band.

Crotch Spiders from Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

An allergy to bee stings still doesn't make them a lethal species... you could have an allergy to nuts too, but nuts are not classified as a poisonous food.

The only thing this article points out, is that the false widow spider has stronger venom than previously thought... (how strong?) and that the venom has more similarities to the true black widow than previously thought. (similar but not the same)

There is still no actual evidence that this spider has venom potent enough to kill a person... Just make them feel unwell and maybe spend a few days in hospital in a severe case.

The article is misleading, and deliberately scaremongering!

Its not news these days if it doesn't leave you terrified. It was all over the news here a while ago about "murder hornets". Before that it was the killer bees. Meanwhile the town is full of scorpions and actual black widows but those must be too boring to make the news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I believe they’re only lethal to riff raff and travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Disturbing news in the Irish Times this morning about an invasive species of spider being far more venomous than originally believed. There have been reported cases of these spiders running up the leg of their victim and biting them in the groin/crotch region.

Boffins now believe the venom has the potential to be fatal, and the numbers of these spiders is growing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/false-widow-spiders-in-ireland-more-venomous-than-first-believed-1.4282568

Has anyone encountered one of these spiders, or, even worse, been bitten by one of them?

One had a go at me but, luckily for me, the barking spiders of Laois/Offaly are VERY territorial and the false emissary met his maker in the cloud-threaded sky. Right between the eyes, took out his olfactory senses I believe.

On that basis Johnny, you'll be like the sick people in World War Z to that shower.

• Advertisement

Had one of these in my garage for best part of three years. Definitely have a long lifespan. Left her alone as she seemed to eat the other spiders and flies. Was bigger than a two euro coin. Never bothered me. Definitely more afraid of me than I was of it. My partner however was a different story.

Rule was simple. Stay in the garage you live. Tried to get in the house, you die.

My neighbour has 2 in the garage and, to keep herself happy, he has put little cat bells on them and also enabled chipping on the cat flap in order to deter them. Which is fair enough.

Fratello wrote: »
    They have a big shiny arse (not the correct word). Our native spiders are more hairy and thier arses are more in proportion to the head bit. They really are distinctive.

I hope, as Dr Luke advises, you're using multiple layers of cloth for your arsemask should you ever deign to sit your arse down on that lawn. Sweet Jesus. Clasp that 50 pence for all you're worth man.

Ah, I'm very much a live and let live guy, and will handle normal spiders out the back from inside the house.

I saw one of these in Dublin around 2010 in an apartment complex, didn't quite believe what I was seeing. I stepped over it, but I would kill them all now. Invasive species that has a nasty bite can fcuk right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

They are here! The usual large garden spider that is. It's season has begun. Found a large molted exoskeleton from one in the kitchen. A larger version is now running around somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Those lads are grand. Keep your house fly free. Although a smaller one got eaten by my venus fly trap. Which I had no idea they ate spiders.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Well if a boffin said it it must be true.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement