Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

those are the previous generation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭wassie

Theres not a huge difference in specs between the 1st & 2nd Gen 4k Max sticks as its an incremental upgrade.

Marginally faster CPU & GPU, Wifi 6E vs 6 and more storage. If you only use the stick for streaming apps then storage is not an issue - if you want it for gaming then bigger storage is useful.

Both versions supporting Dolby Atmos, HDR, and Dolby Vision, up to 4K Ultra HD picture quality, and Alexa Home Theater integration

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cathy427

Is anyone that uses getflix having problems with apps tonight? For me Prime is working but bbc and itv are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

All working fine for me.

Sometimes when apps act up you can rectify it by logging into the getflix account and update IP address. Even if they have the correct IP address it needs updating every now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cathy427

Thanks for that.

Tried that and no joy. Also tried rebooting the broadband.

Weird when prime is working via getflix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a decent media center that reads from local storage as opposed to using a separate server like plex.

Looking for something with a lot of the same bells and whistles that come with with something like plex where you can get a high quality user interface but on top of a small collection of ripped digital content stored on a USB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Sideloading KODI and adding a Skin if desired, i reckon

As soon as I posted that I thought Kodi may be my best bet. I've never actually used it in the past so I'm not sure what capabilities it has. Will have a dig around.

Setting up a plex or plex-like server seems overkill but it may be the only way to get exactly what I'm looking for.

Edit: looks like Kodi should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...havent used it in years, but always enjoyed messing around with it, powerful app

Yeah, I've always associated Kodi with IPTV and have never needed it for that purpose.

After a little bit of playing around last night I managed to get something up and running so I'm confident that off the back of some changes I'll have a setup that meets my needs.

I'll need to have a proper look at the available skins as after dipping my toes in last night I can tell there's a vast range in quality, even some of the highly regarded skins are not quite what I'm looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

yes. changing to holland dns from getflix list fixed it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Itv x working for anyone. Tried it recently& won't go beyond the splash screen, just closes itself

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Tried a couple & 2 vpns. Think it might actually be the app from reading some of the reviews of it.

force stop and clear cache on the app if you havnt

Just used 2 different vpn on firestick 4k max 2nd gen and both worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

We are having the same issue with itvx. Splash screen and then stops

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭wassie

Confirmed working for me ok with NordVPN.

Check also that you have the latest version 2.8.0 (info in Application -> Manage Apps).

This workaround is also from the Amazon forums.

Quick update with a possible solution for some:-

Browsing the ITV X streaming issues on Fire TV Stick 4K 2nd gen topic in this forum, I noted that in a posting by RichT999 they had changed their firestick display resolution from Automatic to 1080p 60Hz and were then able to watch the previously problematic content.

I have just tried this and it seems to have resolved the issues I was having. Not ideal on a 4K tv but provides a temporary fix and hopefully a proper fix will be found. Meantime, I guesss you can choose to either to set display back to auto when not using ITVx or leave it on full time but then all content limited to 1080p. On checking my other, functioning fire stick (which had been attached to an older TV) I found that its display was already set at 1080p 60Hz. Changing it to Automatic "broke" it just like my other stick and reverting to 1080p "unbroke" it.

That interesting about the display settings because I've been having that issue with the peacock app. They actually broadcast a load of 4k stuff but when my firestick is set to auto/4k the ratio on peacock goes crazy and the screen looks like it far too small for the pic. Only way to fix is to set the firestick to 1080p which is a pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I stopped using itvx ages ago, constant loop of ads etc. i use stv instead, same content and more stable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Does the virgin tv app work like the android version or is it the dumbed down version i.e no live tv.

Post edited by Iseedeadpixels on

the Virgin app has live tv and pretty decent quality same as android

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Oh cool thanks I'll have to download it later cheers.

Yeah my missus is using virgin player for big brother and it seems to work very well

If you only use it the odd time, viewing it with the silk browser will let you fast forward through the ads

Which stick have you? I was trying on the older 4k, don't use it that often but it looks like a issue with the app rather than VPN. Can see it in the reviews & that Amazon forum someone linked there

• Registered Users Posts: 45,837 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We have 2 firesticks in the house. On one of them we can only watch a very limited amount of Amazon Prime video content probably like most people. However on the other the full compliment of Prime shows is available to watch. Several years ago I rang the prime support team and asked them to change my region to UK and I'm fairly sure that's why all their programming is now available on one of the firesticks.

So this might work for others. While I have several genuine NI addresses registered to my account I don't see any problems with setting up a dummy or fake NI or UK address and then contact the Prime team to get the region changed. Worth a shot anyhow. All to gain and nothing to lose.

why dont you run both sticks on the account with Full prime . if it is the same u might need to re register the one that hasnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,837 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It's probably a case of letting sleeping dogs lie. Strictly speaking I'm not supposed to have access to most of the Prime content so having it on one is fine. Both firesticks are registered to the account which is a little puzzling.

Advertisement