Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I am really struggling to get BBC iPlayer on my Fire TV Stick.

I set up the stick, then changed my country to the UK in my Amazon account, then rebooted the device and I had no access to UK apps.

I then set up Getflix and changed my country to the UK ... again still no access to UK apps.

I then tried to get an APK of the BBC iPlayer via the Downloader app ... the APK would not work properly.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get access to the iPlayer? Thanks.

Figured it out. I had to reset the device to factory settings. I think the mistake I made was changing my account the UK after I set up the stick rather than before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

what vpn and setting were you using for i player to play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I have been using Getflix on a gen 2 FireCube for the last year or so. I have Amazon Prime is set to "GB" in getflix and my actual amazon account is also set to UK. I have the getflix dublin and london servers set up as DNS 1 and 2 on the Firecube. It has always worked great for me until...

Something seems to have changed in the last week. Previously I could watch Amazon shows directly from the main screen on the firecube. I watched Picard S2 Ep1 that way with no issues at all. However now that I come to watch ep 2 all the episodes are "currently unavailable".

If I use the Prime Video app (which I never bothered to use before) I can watch the episode though, which seems odd to me.

I restarted the firecube multiple times and "forgot" my network settings and reapplied them but still the same situation

I am not aware of anything that I did to change things in the last week. I'd be a bit concerned that maybe Amazon are onto Getflix?

Has anyone else noticed anything like this recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I do wonder if these official streaming platforms (or the rights holders on those platforms) realise that pursuing VPN/DNS avenues for people so actively, just encourages people like me to just give up legit apps completely, and watch everything I want, when I want, for free, with no geographical boundaries.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is there any media player that I can install on my phone and fire stick that allows me to cast videos without using a third party app?

Casting video is the one thing I miss from my Chromecast that I no longer use as my TV is restricted to two HDMI inputs and both are taken up now.

I tried to set up android screen mirroring but it looks like Google have gone out of their way to remove the functionality to do so on my pixel phone.

I guess an alternative would be an easy way to wirelessly transfer some files from my mobile to the USB attached to my stick.

only thing in settings display and audio there is screen mirroring option

my 4k max is on Fire OS 7.2.5.5 but on the amazon site the latest is FireOS 7.2.7.3

are any of you on the new 7.2.7.3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

my 4K stick is running 6.2.8.7 and says it’s up to date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ballyargus

anyone else found problems with iplayer and surfshark. It worked immaculately until recently but now it won't on the stick. I have a backup VPN that is working but would prefer to see surfshark going given the length of the sub I have with them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Hasn't worked properly for me in a long time. Although it lets you into the app I just can't play anything.

The screen mirroring functionality on my firestick is there, it looks like my Pixel doesn't have the ability to allow me to cast to non chromecast devices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ballyargus

are you talking about surfshark and its ability to unlock iplayer - or iplayer with any VPN in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Using Surfshark to log into iPlayer and view programs once logged in.

Although Surfshark in itself hasn't been great at all really, there was one weekend I couldn't use it on any Netflix locations I had tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Beware of firestick updates if you use a custom launcher. The latest update blocks the use of custom launchers and forces you to use the Amazon homescreen.

Updates sound great but not when they seem to be reducing functionality rather than improving it.

It's not crazy to think that Amazon could block third party apps in future updates, as they increasingly limit use of the sticks so that they are used in ways that generate revenue for Amazon.

There are workarounds available that either block the updates from downloading or allow you to delete them after they have downloaded, but before they install (updates tend to install when you reboot). Techdoctoruk on Youtube is a good source for info on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Exactly the same problems here with iPlayer and Surfshark. I raised lots of complaints to Surfshark but didn't get any joy.

Like you, I tried another VPN, Windscribe, and it works perfectly. Got back onto Surfshark but again no improvement. It works perfectly for all my other apps but just cannot connect to BBC. I keep getting an error code 2003 once I try to view a programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

same issue for me with Surfshark using BBC, and also it recently stopped working for Tivimate which I use for other stuff.., their support is terrible as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

If you factory reset, do you need to reinstall all non Amazon apps?

I believe so. There doesn't appear to be any easy means of backing up all that configuration.

its easy enough sideload them back up - sometimes you end up having to reset stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Hi folks I can’t find the op anywhere but can someone point me in the right direction for changing my location to install the Irish nowtv app on my firestick please

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/change-region-amazon-prime-video-us/#:~:text=Log%20into%20your%20Amazon%20account,your%20account%2C%20and%20hit%20Update.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭rounders

This isn't work for me unfortunately. Any advice. Downloaded to my Android, then tried to use Apps2Fire and I'm getting a error message and the app seems to be 0mbs but I can open it on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mossie

Anyone having issues with BBC iPlayer today? Can't login on any firestick, My LG TV's or XBox. I get a "You've been signed out" message with no option to sign in. I can log in on my phone and PC - all connected to the same router with dns4me set up on it. Was working perfectly last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭happydude742

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if people have the RTE Player working on Firestick? I had tried side loading it and while it will download and install, it crashes every time just after loading. Any tips or suggestions are welcome. I saw a mention 30 pages back about tutorials on youtube but they seem to have since been deleted.

EDIT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qhnonmfSOc&t=50s&ab_channel=Andy%27sSmartLife

This explains all.

there is a new version mobile rte player app out the other day, mo. not idealuse toggle needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭bassy

Advertisement