Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfriended MyFitnessPal out of my life

Options
  • 18-06-2020 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

So my main goal at the moment is to be physically able to not have to relay on logging my meals every day of the week I'm just wondering is it manageable to be just be sensible with your meals choices and just control your fork? And still achieve the same goals?

Comments

mickwat155 wrote: »
    So my main goal at the moment is to be physically able to not have to relay on logging my meals every day of the week I'm just wondering is it manageable to be just be sensible with your meals choices and just control your fork? And still achieve the same goals?

I used to use it on and off for years and stopped because of how much of a chore it became, not to mention how difficult it became eating at restaurants because you wouldnt know the calories. But I did get a lot of insight into how calorically dense some foods can be from doing it where I completely wouldnt have been aware which helped.

I lost a lot of weight doing it but what helped me reasonably maintain that was following intuitive eating and listening to hunger cues, and then doing the exercises I enjoy rather than being strict. That was over 4 years ago and I'm much the same.

I think MyFitnessPal as more of an educational tool to develop awareness around food rather than something to be used every day long term unless you pursue a vocation that might require it like bodybuilding

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Don't know your back storey, but presumably for weight loss? You'd see the effects if it wasn't working in the scales after a few weeks, and either adjust your judgements or go back?

It's something I continue to struggle with, as I continue to track with myfitnesspal, probably too accurately (at home). Doesn't stop me eating out/ takeaways when I have to guess, and I've never excluded any foods including cakes/ sweets/ crisps unless I don't like them, so don't think I've verged into disordered eating. It's more track and move on. But whether it is a healthy relationship with food, I haven't really concluded yet, and would think it's very individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I always used it as a way to learn so that I could get a ballpark figure for calories from different foods.

Some people don't mind using it in the longer term but not everyone wants to have to be reliant on it so use it to get a handle on portion sizes and the calories therein.

As for restaurants, unless they're a regular occurrence, just make a sensible choice without letting it ruin the enjoyment of eating out.

Either way, the scales will likely guide you if you're pointed the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As for restaurants, unless they're a regular occurrence, just make a sensible choice without letting it ruin the enjoyment of eating out.
    It's this that stops me being too concerned. Maybe it's because it's rare enough we eat out/ get takeaway, but tracking really doesn't affect my choices on those occasions and it really is take the best guess and move on. If I'm eating out, I'm eating out out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's this that stops me being too concerned. Maybe it's because it's rare enough we eat out/ get takeaway, but tracking really doesn't affect my choices on those occasions and it really is take the best guess and move on. If I'm eating out, I'm eating out out!

Exactly

• Advertisement
Advertisement