Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Town disgusting yesterday evening

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I see Murty Rabbitts last booking time for serving substantial meals is at 9:30pm. Wonder if they'll get many looking for dinner at that time of the night.

Plenty of people eat out that late normally. What's your point?

Zzippy wrote: »

It’s actually an annoyance for me how early a lot of places close or stop serving food. I eat dinner on a normal weekday evening between 8 and 9pm and I’d often want to eat at 10pm or later especially when away for a weekend etc but in Ireland it’s difficult to get proper sit down food after 9 a lot of the time I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zzippy wrote: »

WhereIsGalway made a snipe about someone opening his restaurants as soon as possible to make a quick buck.

My point is that many businesses have opened as soon as they possibly could - and that one which WIG is know to favour is actively advertising a behaviour (seating people for dinner at 9:30pm) suggestive of the same "quick buck" mentality.

Previously, very few restaurants would seat you after 9pm

At the moment, it's like the whole town has moved to an earlier timeframe - some cafes close by 3pm, most shops are closing by 5:30pm (many earlier). Remains to be seen if that will continue, but very few of the restaurant-pubs have made statements about closing times so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

WhereIsGalway made a snipe about someone opening his restaurants as soon as possible to make a quick buck.

My point is that many businesses have opened as soon as they possibly could - and that one which WIG is know to favour is actively advertising a behaviour (seating people for dinner at 9:30am) suggestive of the same "quick buck" mentality.
    r.

I do but up early but I’d hardly eat my dinner before my breakfast

For the recorded MOB I don’t favour any establishment over any other. I look for value and quality service over anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 derekshelvin

Here are some pictures of what is not helping. People intentionally feeding birds (and in turn rats), weak bin bags that large birds open and overflowing bins that should either be bigger or emptied more often. They're full by 4pm some days with no collection until 5am next morning.

Look at the state of the bird droppings around all those oats stains all over the city. I didn't even know that was going on until recently. And we all pay council tax to keep our city clean while this happens. Jesus wept.

If those 3 things got addressed it would make our city much cleaner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Here are some pictures of what is not helping. People intentionally feeding birds (and in turn rats), weak bin bags that large birds open and overflowing bins that should either be bigger or emptied more often. They're full by 4pm some days with no collection until 5am next morning.

Look at the state of the bird droppings around all those oats stains all over the city. I didn't even know that was going on until recently. And we all pay council tax to keep our city clean while this happens. Jesus wept.

So people disposing of their rubbish correctly and 1 person with issues feeding the pigeons has caused a problem that is experienced is most major coastal cities in europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,079 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nope.

With all food business restricted to takeaway, and extra packaging on takeaway food to ensure hygiene, there is a higher-than-normal volume of rubbish being generated during each day.

If people ate in at the restaurant then the restaurant would get rid of the rubbish. But they cannot be expected to clean the whole town.

I wouldn't say that the council is asleep. Just that they underestimated the number of people in town yesterday - it was noticeably busy, and the first time in weeks that I felt uncomfortable about on street social distancing.

Or if - you know, radical idea coming in here - people actually took their rubbish home with them? I mean, if the bin is ****ing full, DON'T try and cram it in, thus knocking five other boxes on the ground and don't tbrow it on ground beside the bin either!

You can always tell exaclty how people feel abotu their home city by how the approach full rubbish bins with rusbbish of their own.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Or if - you know, radical idea coming in here - people actually took their rubbish home with them? I mean, if the bin is ****ing full, DON'T try and cram it in, thus knocking five other boxes on the ground and don't tbrow it on ground beside the bin either!

You can always tell exaclty how people feel abotu their home city by how the approach full rubbish bins with rusbbish of their own.

How about the council empty them more often and have more of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

council did have more of them but took them away.

Are your rates payments up to date?

• Advertisement

They are indeed, Are yours?

I agree on the bin bags. Why the council dont enforce anti-bird bags or wheelie bins I don't know. They have these anti bird bags in Edinburgh.

But on the pictures of the pigeons feeding that's being done by ONE person. The woman <SNIP BY MODERATOR>

She walks up town daily and throws oats all over the place. Really annoys me about her as shes feeding pests.

I agree on the bin bags. Why the council dont enforce anti-bird bags or wheelie bins I don't know. They have these anti bird bags in Edinburgh

Some of us live in apartments with no outdoor space at ground level. We simply cannot do bins.

Some of us live in apartments with no outdoor space at ground level. We simply cannot do bins.

Apartments have communal rubbish storage in most cases.

Tbh, I've never seen an apartment block without them.

Is this actually the case? Where there are a load of apartments but no communal waste facilities for those apartments. Very strange if that's the case

https://extra.ie/2019/11/19/news/irish-news/a-pensioner-prosecuted-feeding-pigeons

It's all about taking a variety of measures. Do I think preventing ONE individual from walking the city at least 3 times a day to spread oats for lots of birds and rats will help?

Yes.

Dublin City Council had a man prosecuted in January (article above) for feeding pigeons outside his home. What's happening in Galway is drastically worse and is not being dealt with.

You cannot walk down Shop Street without darting out of the way of birds eating these oats and food discarded beside full bins.

Bigger bins emptied more often will help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

On my road we have a issue with seagulls and bins.

The mess that they make is unbelievable.
    Sometimes you walk up the road and it is like a war zome if you seen it you wouldnt believe it was the seagulls.
    Its got worse during lockdown because so much more rubbish was being created and more bins overflowed.

We had a meeting of the road and we discovered that sea gulls are a proteced species, this year they had baby seagulls and they was attacking people coming home. I had no idea sea giulls could be such a bloody nuisance.

mick087 wrote: »
    On my road we have a issue with seagulls and bins.

The mess that they make is unbelievable.
    Sometimes you walk up the road and it is like a war zome if you seen it you wouldnt believe it was the seagulls.
    Its got worse during lockdown because so much more rubbish was being created and more bins overflowed.

We had a meeting of the road and we discovered that sea gulls are a proteced species, this year they had baby seagulls and they was attacking people coming home. I had no idea sea giulls could be such a bloody nuisance.

Have you raised this with City Council or the local newspapers?

Please don't be making condescending comments where people are trying to solve some local issues, wrong thread for that.

https://extra.ie/2019/11/19/news/irish-news/a-pensioner-prosecuted-feeding-pigeons

It's all about taking a variety of measures. Do I think preventing ONE individual from walking the city at least 3 times a day to spread oats for lots of birds and rats will help?

Yes.

Dublin City Council had a man prosecuted in January (article above) for feeding pigeons outside his home. What's happening in Galway is drastically worse and is not being dealt with.

You cannot walk down Shop Street without darting out of the way of birds eating these oats and food discarded beside full bins.

Bigger bins emptied more often will help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They won't do anything as they are protected Gulls never had nests in Cities always near the sea like Mutton Island now they nest in Cities as like I have said lots of times we have destroyed their food source with overfishing, we are the problem as well leaving out waste food in plastic bags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

I believe it was raised with the council and thats how we found out that seagulls especially baby seagulls are protected. Advice given was dont feed or water them as they have to learn to fly which was of no help to our issue
    It seems to be quiet now the babyones have gone within the last few weeks id say.
    Apparently there is someone coming to look at the issue so we dont get the same problem with the baby seagulls next year.

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    They won't do anything as they are protected Gulls never had nests in Cities always near the sea like Mutton Island now they nest in Cities as like I have said lots of times we have destroyed their food source with overfishing, we are the problem as well leaving out waste food in plastic bags

The birds have an easy time in Galway with such an ease of access to food. Even if fish numbers went up, it could be argued that many of them would not go back to their fish hunting diets when it's being made so easy to eat from our streets morning, noon and night without predators or proper bins or bin bags to prevent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Busterie

Paddico wrote: »
    Supermac wouldnt contribute anyway.
    Heard he's as tight as two coats of paint
    Grossly unfair, Supermacs sponsor many sporting, cultural and deserving causes.
    If the bin is full take your rubbish home. It is not rocket science. You do not have a right to pollute the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Busterie wrote: »
    If the bin is full take your rubbish home. It is not rocket science. You do not have a right to pollute the city.

That's fine and well, people should do this.

Won't happen. People won't bring their rubbish home no matter how many people on the internet say they should.

So, what other solutions can you come up with? Efficient public bin collections, and more public bins seem the obivous answer here, but we're not a group for obivous answers are we?

Apartments have communal rubbish storage in most cases.

Tbh, I've never seen an apartment block without them.

Is this actually the case? Where there are a load of apartments but no communal waste facilities for those apartments. Very strange if that's the case

Apartment *blocks* have communal facilities.

But the Middle / Abbeygate / Augustine st area, like other parts of the city, has small numbers of apartments above many of the commercial premises. These buildings don't have communal facilities, and heritage requirements mean they couldn't be added even if there was space (usually there isn't).

Apartment *blocks* have communal facilities.

But the Middle / Abbeygate / Augustine st area, like other parts of the city, has small numbers of apartments above many of the commercial premises. These buildings don't have communal facilities, and heritage requirements mean they couldn't be added even if there was space (usually there isn't).

So how is waste managed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

So how is waste managed?

You buy the bags and leave them out for collection

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some content about the person feeding the pigeons removed.
    She is a private individual.

biko wrote: »
    Some content about the person feeding the pigeons removed.
    She is a private individual.

Why is this person being protected? You have no right to privacy when you are out in public.

I think we all agree that we want to live in a cleaner city and a great way forward is for everyone to voice their concerns to local authorities (Gardaí, City Council, City Bins, Barna Waste, owners of buildings used for nesting by gulls) as this is what will make the difference.

It's been made clear on here that most of us have the same frustrations so let's take the next step and properly voice our concerns. At worst nothing will happen and at best enough will speak up to improve the situation.

• Advertisement

Why is this person being protected? You have no right to privacy when you are out in public.

Is there a law which says you are not allowed to feed birds?

How is a central-city pigeon-feeder any different to people who feed the swans or ducks in the Claddagh?

Advertisement