Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Tesla Ownership experience in Ireland

  • 16-06-2020 8:00pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ onzlo


    I made a thread back in January asking some questions about jumping from a BMW 420d to a Tesla model 3 SR+. Now I've decided I want to go electric in the new year :cool:

    Just wondering though, what is it like owning a Tesla in Ireland? Or in general? Are they generally reliable? How much for servicing if I do ~25,000kms a year? What's customer service like and is it easy to book any warranty repairs or service?


Comments

  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 59,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    There is a thread dedicated to the Tesla Model 3, with many owners reading it and posting in it here:

    Linky

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 10,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭ MarkR


    I used to work with this guy. He has a YouTube channel on this.

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQKbDL2dijZTwsOlKBOS3kQ


  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ onzlo


    unkel wrote: »
    There is a thread dedicated to the Tesla Model 3, with many owners reading it and posting in it here:

    Linky

    I guess I’ve a lot of time to read through this before I get one :-D


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 31,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gumbo


    MarkR wrote: »
    I used to work with this guy. He has a YouTube channel on this.

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQKbDL2dijZTwsOlKBOS3kQ

    Richard is really good as a you tuber. Good videos, good content and clear, precise information.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 59,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    onzlo wrote: »
    I guess I’ve a lot of time to read through this before I get one :-D

    You're lucky you are not considering a Hyundai Ioniq :pac:

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ onzlo


    unkel wrote: »
    You're lucky you are not considering a Hyundai Ioniq :pac:

    From what I gather, they’re a fantastic car and great value pre facelift. (Better looking pre facelift imho ;-) )


  • Moderators Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭ Black_Knight


    unkel wrote: »
    You're lucky you are not considering a Hyundai Ioniq :pac:

    M3 thread isn't far off it. Both big big threads. Speaks volumes of the love/hype for those 2 cars.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 59,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    onzlo wrote: »
    From what I gather, they’re a fantastic car and great value pre facelift. (Better looking pre facelift imho ;-) )

    Excellent car. My remark was more to do with how big the thread about Ioniq was. I didn't realise the one about Model 3 has caught up in size in recent months!

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭ zg3409


    onzlo wrote: »
    Just wondering though, what is it like owning a Tesla in Ireland? Or in general? Are they generally reliable? How much for servicing if I do ~25,000kms a year? What's customer service like and is it easy to book any warranty repairs or service?

    They are reliable and have warranty. Servicing is basically nothing. Main costs are tyres are expensive particularly if you have a heavy foot. Depreciation will probably be low but might take a hit when model Y hits the market in Ireland in a year or two.

    Warranty repairs are done in Sandyford (there might be a Belfast dealer possibly service centre opening soon). They also gave a van (ranger) that comes to your home or work for little issues meaning you don't need to go yo Sandford. Typically they give you a loaner car in Sandyford.

    Main issue with any EV is public charging when travelling beyond the range if the EV. Many 50kW chargers are broken blocked or busy meaning you could queue for 1+ hours worst case. Look at plugshare app and filter for CCS chargers and see if there are chargers on the way to or near your typical destinations. You should only buy if 99% of your trips can be completed with home charging.

    Look at real world range of Tesla at worst case Irish outside temperature zero Celsius, at motorway speeds of 120km. That gives real winter range.

    Charging time can be 1+ hours on 50kW chargers.

    Have you test driven one? Test drives are available from Sandyford.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement