Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Ownership experience in Ireland

• 16-06-2020 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I made a thread back in January asking some questions about jumping from a BMW 420d to a Tesla model 3 SR+. Now I've decided I want to go electric in the new year :cool:

Just wondering though, what is it like owning a Tesla in Ireland? Or in general? Are they generally reliable? How much for servicing if I do ~25,000kms a year? What's customer service like and is it easy to book any warranty repairs or service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,681 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There is a thread dedicated to the Tesla Model 3, with many owners reading it and posting in it here:

Linky

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I used to work with this guy. He has a YouTube channel on this.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQKbDL2dijZTwsOlKBOS3kQ

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭onzlo

unkel wrote: »
    There is a thread dedicated to the Tesla Model 3, with many owners reading it and posting in it here:

Linky

I guess I’ve a lot of time to read through this before I get one :-D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

MarkR wrote: »
    I used to work with this guy. He has a YouTube channel on this.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQKbDL2dijZTwsOlKBOS3kQ

Richard is really good as a you tuber. Good videos, good content and clear, precise information.

onzlo wrote: »
    I guess I’ve a lot of time to read through this before I get one :-D

You're lucky you are not considering a Hyundai Ioniq :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭onzlo

From what I gather, they’re a fantastic car and great value pre facelift. (Better looking pre facelift imho ;-) )

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

M3 thread isn't far off it. Both big big threads. Speaks volumes of the love/hype for those 2 cars.

From what I gather, they’re a fantastic car and great value pre facelift. (Better looking pre facelift imho ;-) )

Excellent car. My remark was more to do with how big the thread about Ioniq was. I didn't realise the one about Model 3 has caught up in size in recent months!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Just wondering though, what is it like owning a Tesla in Ireland? Or in general? Are they generally reliable? How much for servicing if I do ~25,000kms a year? What's customer service like and is it easy to book any warranty repairs or service?

They are reliable and have warranty. Servicing is basically nothing. Main costs are tyres are expensive particularly if you have a heavy foot. Depreciation will probably be low but might take a hit when model Y hits the market in Ireland in a year or two.

Warranty repairs are done in Sandyford (there might be a Belfast dealer possibly service centre opening soon). They also gave a van (ranger) that comes to your home or work for little issues meaning you don't need to go yo Sandford. Typically they give you a loaner car in Sandyford.

Main issue with any EV is public charging when travelling beyond the range if the EV. Many 50kW chargers are broken blocked or busy meaning you could queue for 1+ hours worst case. Look at plugshare app and filter for CCS chargers and see if there are chargers on the way to or near your typical destinations. You should only buy if 99% of your trips can be completed with home charging.

Look at real world range of Tesla at worst case Irish outside temperature zero Celsius, at motorway speeds of 120km. That gives real winter range.

Charging time can be 1+ hours on 50kW chargers.

Have you test driven one? Test drives are available from Sandyford.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement