Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoga on Soft Surfaces

Options
  • 16-06-2020 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭

I want to work on tummy and lower back, found a great yoga routine to follow BUT its on the floor, I have injuries to my knees that make floor work impossibly uncomfortable.
    Will I get a similar result if I do these exercises from a mattress/bed?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Bredabe wrote: »
    I want to work on tummy and lower back, found a great yoga routine to follow BUT its on the floor, I have injuries to my knees that make floor work impossibly uncomfortable.
    Will I get a similar result if I do these exercises from a mattress/bed?

Get an extra tick/firm exercise mat...

Something like this
    https://www.networldsports.ie/tri-folding-yoga-mat.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw26H3BRB2EiwAy32zhRE3IitlNqfUiPSLUOaEb7SVX_NaW3NIvPNWOeBYbkLDsYVmOlozAxoCCBgQAvD_BwE

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I bought a knee pad mat in TK Maxx. It's the same width as my mat but about 35cm long and it's about 10mm thick. I use it on top of my mat and it really makes a difference.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Just get a yoga mat?????

:confused:

Are you finding this issue even WITH the yoga mat?

If so maybe get one or two mats or even three ..they are not that expensive.

No you will not get the same result on a soft surface like a mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Just get a yoga mat?????

:confused:

Are you finding this issue even WITH the yoga mat?

If so maybe get one or two mats or even three ..they are not that expensive.

No you will not get the same result on a soft surface like a mattress.

Tks, even with the three spongy type mats available to me, the pressure/pain on my knees and front lower leg is very uncomfortable, this is why I was wondering if doing it on a mattress was worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Definitely do it on whatever surface you require to get around your niggles. I will say that doing yoga on soft surfaces makes it way more difficult in my experience. Found it a lot harder to balance on the more squishy surface and it absolutely drained me in comparison to a regular yoga mat.

• Advertisement

Bredabe wrote: »
    Tks, even with the three spongy type mats available to me, the pressure/pain on my knees and front lower leg is very uncomfortable, this is why I was wondering if doing it on a mattress was worth the effort.

I would ask a physio about that or DR see what they suggest. And if it ok.

Could you do a routine that DOESNT mean getting down on your knees ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You don't need to always consult a doctor or physio if it's an existing issue you know about. You just avoid making it more sore and do what you can do within the physical limitations, e.g. see what level of cushioning you need or just avoid movements that need to be done on your knees if they're doing to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I would ask a physio about that or DR see what they suggest. And if it ok.

Could you do a routine that DOESNT mean getting down on your knees ?

Yes and no, Im capable of doing them, but the exercises themselves require me to be on my back or knees.

Medic's themselves are at a loss as to what the reason is, except that its hereditary.

Whether or not they are as effective on a mattress is honestly going to depend on what you are doing. I did hear there are separate poses for doing on a bed tho..

But you have to do what you have to do ..if you have to them that way ..then don't worry about it.

If you are on your back it might means your abs are not working as much ...as its not your abs holding your spine imprinted into the floor ..the mattress is moving with you.

But what you can do is what you can do.

Some moves might be harder as someone else said.

There are moves i think for on your bed.

Advertisement